Forums

Help › Forums

Re: ladders

Sat, Apr 17 2010 2:21 PM (8 replies)
  • woz1225
    5 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 1:46 PM
    i've been kicked off ladders and don't know why! it says "forbiddin" any ideas anyone?
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 2:14 PM

The demand for the Ladders site has simply exceeded the resources on their current server. Congratulations to Mark, who's been looking for a new hosting solution. For details, go here:

http://www.wgt.agls.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1578

I remember when the Ladders site used to have a few dozen members back in the early summer of 2009... There was almost never anyone in the chatrooms back then. Now there are nearly 1,000 registered WGT players, and the crunch time is every Sunday with the It's a Knockout tournament, with dozens of players simultaneously in the chatrooms. The server just couldn't bear that load tonight.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 4:39 PM

The site is back up, minus the original chatroom. Many thanks to WGTniv for setting up a temporary IRC chatroom:

http://gamesurge.net/chat/WGTLS

(Also available via the usual Meet & Greet menu link.) IRC isn't as nice to look at as modern chat software, and lacks some of its features, but it's low on resource usage. The trouble with the modern chat software was that it kept exhausting the resources of the server on which WGTLS is stored at the moment. I hear Mark will try to move everything to a new server and re-launch the original chat software there. 

In case that fails, too, I wouldn't object to IRC being a permanent replacement solution. But, 6 various IRC channels would need to be set up, to correspond to the earlier 6 chatrooms. Plus, what I'm currently missing is the information on the Ladders pages as to how many players currently are in the chatroom; how many of them are Waiting for a Match, or already Playing a Match, etc. This is pretty crucial information for anyone wanting to set up a match, but it looks like IRC does not support these types of user "statuses" that could be "forwarded" externally. At least that's the first impression.

Perhaps the main site, WGT.com, will give us the virtual equivalent of a chat "lobby" one day? (Might be the same unrealistic wish as that requesting a practice green or driving range.)   
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 6:24 PM

Faterson:
    I wouldn't object to IRC being a permanent replacement solution

How would this affect the IRC "gang" mentality?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 6:31 PM

Those are separate channels, Jim. WGTLS by itself needs at least 6 chat-rooms. I've been in that replacement chatroom for a few hours now, and it's a struggle when a single chatroom needs to serve all the various purposes at the same time: Ladder matches, Guild matches, It's a Knockout matches, and general idle talk as well. Separate rooms are needed so that these things don't interfere with each other.

One nice thing I've noticed about IRC, though: it looks like you can be in several rooms simultaneously. This is not possible in WGTLS's usual chat software, which is too bad, because oftentimes a player wishes to wait for a match without specifying if it's a Ladder match or a Guild match.

Among the things I'm missing in IRC is a sound signal whenever someone submits a comment.

• rpcdllc
    48 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 6:41 PM

How do you get to games on the ladder that was listed above? Maybe I'm just dumb but didn't see where you go to play 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 7:00 PM

You play here as usual. You just use the chat-room to set up a match with someone. Then you invite him for a match here, or he invites you for a match here. Whoever loses the match, posts the result on the Ladders site, which automatically enters you in the ranking.

• skeggy47
    228 Posts
    Sat, Apr 17 2010 10:47 AM

Hi

I have recently joined the Ladders site and the pleasure I get from WGT as doubled, so nice to meet players who are sociable and do not disconnect during a game.

I have started by playing in the 9 hole ladders games, could someone explain to me the principles of joining other game types, I heard mention of Guild Matches and League games also knock out matches , how do i join and arrange games for these events.

Also I'm not so sure about the game invitation process, I presume you use manual selection and then type name in, is that correct. is the any forum page where i can look up all the games and you have to offer in the WGTLS.

Glad I have discovered you all and thanks for some really good games.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 17 2010 2:21 PM

The ladder site is totally separate from this one. Go to the Meet and Greet room and you can ask those questions in real time. Everything you want to know is on that site, complete with a forum like this. GL

RSS