Forums

Help › Forums

is there a formula to determine the break of a green?

Mon, Sep 27 2010 12:03 PM (32 replies)
  • imaloser
    32 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 6:51 PM

I have always had trouble figuring this out and just guess for the most part.

also do you people move the cursor when putting or try and time the cursor to match the break?

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 7:46 PM

i think it is personal preference.  I aim for longer putters and miss the mark for the shorter ones.  I am not the best at putting by all means, but this is what works for me.    I just did a round where I didn't aim when putting and it was a 39 at St. Andrews.   That shouldn't scare you off, cause it is all what works for the indiviudal.   Good luck with you putting cause it is causing me to pull my hair out!

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 7:57 PM
    Possibly, most of the better putters on here are golfers in real life. Putting is tricky... difficult to apply hard and fast rules... it's a "feel" thing. In general, uphill putts break less quickly than downhill putts. Putts break less at the beginning than at the end, when they are slowing down and are highly susceptible to undulations in the green. Oh, and the ol' "Never up, never in".
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Mar 11 2010 9:41 PM

There is a putting guide by nivlac and its very good.  However, practice rounds are quite important.  Try Kiawah,  Hole #11 is pretty flat and you want to try different green speeds so you have an idea how far the ball will travel.

Also, take lots of notes on how hard you hit the ball, and how far it rolls given elevation, and green speed.  As for reading the break it takes lots of practice, but the white moving dots between the grids (judge how fast they are moving) when they past you target line.  As you become better you will notice key areas in green breaks.  There is no magic formula in reading breaks in greens.  Just takes lost of practice, so be patient.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Mar 12 2010 6:43 AM

Like all things golf, its about putting (haha) in the time for practice.  From what I have heard some people take their own notes, and probably the majority base their putting on familiarity.  If you play this game enough, you will probably see the hole from every angle at a certain point,  so a lot of it can be memory.  Hole 3 on Kiawah for example.  Left of flag about 6 to 15 ft away, I know that putt, cause I get it so often.  Perhaps the best way is to hit to your familiar spots.  Pro's dont aim to be above the hole with a nasty slider, they aim for the flat putt, or uphill putt.  Hole 2 on Kiawah, usually have between 50-60 yards to pin, I always try to either be on the hole or right of the hole, which gives an uphill putt.  I never want to be short or long because that leaves that 2 ft breaker many hate. 

So my rule of thumb, become familiar with the greens, try to stay under the hole, and take notice of how much certain holes break.  Example Hole 5 on Kiawah, very hard to keep it less than 7yds left of the pin, even landing short right of the pin, that putt never breaks as much as I would line it up for, so I cut it in half, add another ft or 2 in speed and let it go.  Have made some good birdies last couple of days.  Same on #4 of Kiawah, I stopped going for the flag, instead try to be on top of the mound or just past it, and that putt I make 50% of the time now.

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Fri, Mar 12 2010 9:16 AM

x = {q+[q2+(r-p2)3]1/2}1/3+{q-[q2+(r-p2)3]1/2}1/3+p

or something like that :)

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Fri, Mar 12 2010 12:23 PM

I base my puttig on memory. Keep practising, maybe take notes the first few months, but after some time it will become unnecessary.

I putt missing the mark, but I don´t reccomend it lol. I´ve got used to it so I can´t change my way of putting now, but doing it like that means that I can´t buy a new putter becuse I´m used to the precision and forgiveness of the starer putter and would have to learn how to putt all over again if I changed. Also, most "big" plaers putt moving the cursor.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Fri, Mar 12 2010 1:41 PM
    I agree with Seveking. If you are new, try to learn the dragging the aim triangle method of putting. My first day here, I didn't even know you could do that and started putting by missing the ding. It sucks. I've recently switched putters and now I'm really messed up. However, I as well am not going to try to learn an entirely new method. As far as breaks in this game, I'm not sure there is an actual foot-per-distance formula or anything like that to use. It's all feel and repetition.
  • AlexisStarfire
    78 Posts
    Fri, Mar 12 2010 2:11 PM

My formula...

(1x OMG)+3 Parts HoPE * 2 Parts LUcK

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Mar 13 2010 9:11 AM

AlexisStarfire:
    (1x OMG)+3 Parts HoPE * 2 Parts LUcK = WTF/4

There Alexis... FTFY.

RSS