Forums

Help › Forums

is there a formula to determine the break of a green?

Mon, Sep 27 2010 12:03 PM (32 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 7:35 AM

imaloser:

I have always had trouble figuring this out and just guess for the most part.

also do you people move the cursor when putting or try and time the cursor to match the break?

Like some previous posters, I've found that it's more of an "educated guess" that is used when judging the breaks, the necessary aim-adjustments, and the associated putt-strength.

Beyond this, however, I think that the single, most important element involved with putting in this game (besides practice, of course), is the ability to discern when the need to "putt through the break" presents itself.

After seeing ALOT of my medium-length putts come-up short, with a "curly-Q" - leaving the ball 6" in front of the hole, I decided to modify my thinking a bit, and add more power to the putts. On the "practice greens", I did this in increments where I added more power, while decreasing the distance of the aimer from the cup - all dependent upon the various speeds of the "grid-balls" and in-line slopes. Relying on this newfound knowledge, as well as adding in a bit of faith, enabled alot more of my putts to drop. (Especially the 3-4ft ones like you'll find at BPB #15's original pin location at the front of the green.)

Judging the breaks is still a "feel thing", but realizing that there are times when you MUST take the chance of "overstroking" one, is an essential part not to be neglected while developing this "feel".

Good Luck. ;^)

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 9:47 AM

Ahh PugsAce, you just re-discovered the formula Tiger Woods uses to putt.  He takes all or most of the break out of the short putts with the knowledge that if he misses then the ball will go 2-3 feet beyond the hole.  But he rarely misses.  And he almost never has one that curls around the hole letting the green's dynamics overtake his personal putting dynamics.  He takes the "bad luck" function out of his putting stroke by taking charge of the break rather than letting the break take charge of him.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 11:09 AM

To make more breaking putts in the real or virtual game you have to understand the apex of the true break…take the subconscious compensations out (which is easier to do in virtual golf than real) as you stroke the putt or click the meter.

What DM was talking about with Tiger is his ability to not decelerate on short putts (6 feet or less) which is what most amateurs will do…spike and heel marks even small grains of sand on the manicured Tour greens can alter a decelerated putt let alone the normal break a player sees.

We don’t have those types of problems on virtual greens however.

Know and understand the apex and you will bring a smile to your face….guaranteed.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 11:21 AM

I hereby suggest WGT implement grains of sand and spike marks in our putts' lines.  A buck per round to have them removed prior to your round.

Also, while we're at it, how 'bout one of those green Fidelity lines on the green to give us the read for our putts?  (Just in time for St. Patrick's Day)  A buck for that, too.

How much for facetiousness?  That's free.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 12:10 PM

BOFFMEN:
    We don’t have those types of problems on virtual greens however.

Ah, but we do. Pug just laid out the solution for these "invisible" virtual snags. TY Pug for highlighting this because I've been confounded by knowing when to do this and as a result I see what DMM points out-curling around the cup. Nothing worse then having the missed putt look back at you on a direct line through the hole. The real question is when to allow for this or just do it all the time.

After a zillion putts you get to the point where the "feel" thing becomes instinctive-you've seen the line so many times you just know when the aiming line doesn't look right. I sure would like to add Pug's method to my arsenal.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 1:02 PM

I was actually agreeing with Pugs and DM just adding to it.

Indians are from Mars and Yankees are from Venus...perhaps that explains it better...lol

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 1:05 PM

Yankees are from Steinbrenner's wallet...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 1:32 PM

Doublemochaman:
    Yankees are from Steinbrenner's wallet...

World Champion Yankees, thank you. 

BTW-Off topic or not, do you realize that every losing team gets $50,000,000 before they sign contract number one thanks to the Yankees? Think they spend it to improve their standing?  LMAO-#28 coming up and another $50,000,000 each for the privilege. TYVM

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 1:50 PM

Waaaaaay off topic, but I'm a "closet" Yankees fan.  Just not when they're playing the Mariners.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 2:36 PM

Doublemochaman:

Waaaaaay off topic, .

...and not even remotely accurate...lol

RSS