Forums

Help › Forums

superbowl

Sat, Feb 6 2010 10:19 PM (24 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 3:26 PM

Rhett78:
    He is hands down the 4th quarter king of comebacks, if they are behind.
    He made be good... but not 'hands down'.

See, there was this little guy, played for Notre Dame and got drafted by that team from San Francisco... you know the guy...  Capt Comeback?  Or by his other nickname... "Joe Cool".

You know.. the best QB, like, ever.  lol

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 3:36 PM

Go Saints :)

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 3:37 PM

Woah woah woah, hold up, flag on the play...

Capt Comeback must be a misnomer because John Elway holds the record for most comebacks pulling the Denver Broncos from the jaws of defeat 47 times in his career.

Montana was a good quarterback, definitely in the top 10 for sure, but best ever?  I dunno about that.  With names like Manning, Brady, Marino, Elway, Tarkenton, Starr & Unitas I think you'll have a tough time convincing me that Montana belongs on top of them all.

Besides, where's all the Bernie Kosar love? =D

Prediction: Horseshoes 35, Fire Pokers 31

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 3:57 PM

OK, niv.  The only two quarterbacks to win FOUR Superbowl rings.

Bradshaw and Joe Cool.

The best win it all.

'nuf said.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 4:21 PM

andyson:
    OK, niv.  The only two quarterbacks to win FOUR Superbowl rings.

Bradshaw and Joe Cool.

Ok, that kinda furthers my point. Bradshaw is rarely ever mentioned in "all-time best qb" debates.  Sorry Steeler nation, but Bradshaw was an average to slightly above-average QB at best who was surrounded with amazing talent.  Jake Delhomme would have 4 rings if he played on those teams too.

andyson:
    The best win it all.

When they're surrounded with the best talent, yes. 

I don't understand how folks can blame Marino or any other non-SB QB for the ineptitude of their own front offices.  The lack of talent/skill in the supporting cast shouldn't detract from the skill of the individual.

If you could put Montana and Marino on two teams of exact equal ability, both offensively and defensively, I don't think you could say either one was without a doubt better than the other at the QB position.

Then there's the whole thing about playing now vs then to consider.  Defenses today are faster, the players are smarter (except those who shoot themselves in the leg) and the schemes are more cleverly disguised.  QB's today need to be sharper and make quicker decisions than they did 20 years ago.

The debate will rage on forever. =D

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 4:52 PM

nivlac:
    If you could put Montana and Marino on two teams of exact equal ability, both offensively and defensively, I don't think you could say either one was without a doubt better than the other at the QB position.

niv the difference is obvious, Marino, Kelly , great stats. Both could put up 3-4 touchdowns a game.  Mr Montana would throw 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter to win the game when it counted the most.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 5:02 PM

Brees has been more consistent than manning all season and the stats prove it.

I have to go with the Colts to win it, after all their my team. However, I would like to see the Saints win the Super Bowl for the morale of New Orleans after the disaster of Hurricane Katrina.

The people down there are still cleaning that place up.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 5:11 PM

nivlac:

Woah woah woah, hold up, flag on the play...

What was the penalty, Illegal procedure, or off sides? LOL

Good one nivlac.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 5:18 PM

nivlac:
    Besides, where's all the Bernie Kosar love? =D

I'd say the love for Bernie falls right behind Vinny Testeverde, but definitely ahead of Steve DeBerg, Dave Krieg, and Jim (don't call me Chris) Everett.

However, he is certainly in the NFL Hair HOF for rockin that perm back in the day.  Heck even looking at Marino in this pic gives me the urge to go and throw on a pair of Isotoner gloves.  

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 5:39 PM

Easy on Dave Krieg!  His college isn't even in existence anymore.

RSS