Forums

Help › Forums

PUTTING - Gauging break and power (a formula and work in progress).

Sun, Jul 8 2012 5:47 PM (125 replies)
  • Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 5:44 PM

G0LD:

They are the numerical values assigned to each of the seven lines I mentioned (see example), with respect to break, as it appears, thanks to the travelling balls of various speeds.

I got that, but what makes a traveling ball a speed of 1, and another one a speed of 3. Is it because it's faster? And if it's just an estimate of speed, then isn't that the same as guessing, which is not very technical.

Also, what if a ball is sitting on a line, does that line count? What if a line runs through the flag, does that count as a line?

I was trying to work it out in practice mode but there are too many questions at this point.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:15 PM

Ah, yes, intelligent questions! I did say "the bigger the number, the greater the break." Balls amount to 0 break when they are stationary along a given line. Slow balls may be counted as 1/2 or 1/3, or even less, according to experience. Same goes for faster balls, which can go from 1, moderate, to faster and faster, with corresponding higher numerical values.

Again, experience is key in reliably attributing the right numerical value to the travelling balls.

As for the line crossing the flag, like the one crossing the ball, it is part of the relevant path to the hole and must be counted. Sometimes the line is a bit behind the ball or beyond the flag, and that has to fit in our estimate, adding subtlety to it. 

So far, in practice, my formula has proven solid, but nevertheless leaves room for human error, in gauging and execution.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:27 PM

G0LD:

h, yes, intelligent questions! I did say "the bigger the number, the greater the break." Balls amount to 0 break when they are stationary along a given line. Slow balls may be counted as 1/2 or 1/3, or even less, according to experience. Same goes for faster balls, which can go from 1, moderate, to faster and faster, with corresponding higher numerical values.

Again, experience is key in reliably attributing the right numerical value to the travelling balls.

As for the line crossing the flag, like the one crossing the ball, it is part of the relevant path to the hole and must be counted. Sometimes the line is a bit behind the ball or beyond the flag, and that has to fit in our estimate, adding subtlety to it. 

So far, in practice, my formula has proven solid, but nevertheless leaves room for human error, in gauging and execution.

I'd welcome a game at some point with you Gold, we can set a friendly practice match or stroke play round up with 90 (largest timer) and see how we can fare.

Please accept my friend invite! Can easily be dismissed after a few games!

Regards!

Mike

• Kaloke
    232 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 5:31 AM

Have been practicing this gauging. It seems pretty cool and does seem to work alot more than guessing. I have not had the time to test what I have been thinking and that is trying to come up with a more accurate number on the break. My idea is to set a value by how many seconds it takes for the ball to move from one line to the next. I know this may take some time to figure out and maybe not even possible but seems it should get the formula you are using a little more accurate.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 6:10 AM

Smart post, Kaloke, thank you. The added accuracy and reliability based on the timing of the traveling balls is yet another technical refinement that will prove very difficult to achieve, no doubt. The difference in pace between various balls can be quite subtle and require nothing less than an Olympic stop watch. Yikes!

• strikerseasy
    65 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 7:53 AM

well i like you am older 66 and have been trying to figure breaks .  i have what you staed clearly in my mind except for the last bit.  you have 43.43 then 1/2.16. i understand what the number represent but how do you get the 63  number you have. ie what do you do with the 1/2.16.  the rest seems fine and sure beats me trying to use the grid lines for a guage  . thanks for trying to do this.  strikerseasy

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:06 AM

Thanks, Weida, I have sent a friend invite :-) 

I'll be glad to help.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:18 AM

Thank you for your interest, Striker. You multiply 43.43 by 1/2.16 = 43.43/2.16 = 20.11, and add 20.11 to 43.43 = 63.54.

Note that I have now clarified this point in my initial post, expounding my formula.

• strikerseasy
    65 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:45 AM

mr  gold thank you very much  i see now and will let you know how i do.    strikerseasy

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:47 AM

You are most welcome, Striker.

Do note that the more I apply this formula during play, the more experience is demonstrating that my formula is indeed sound, or not an empty theory, which is rather exhilarating. I can only wish others will enjoy it as I do.

All the best!

RSS