Forums

Help › Forums

PUTTING - Gauging break and power (a formula and work in progress).

Sun, Jul 8 2012 5:47 PM (125 replies)
  • G0LD
    358 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 5:02 AM

Do note that my calculations, however daunting they may appear at first, can become second nature with practice, or a mental routine one goes through for every putt. Mind you, in multiplayer games, the timer can force a compromise or best guess, which will likely yield mixed results.

Personally, I see no "fun" in failure from sloppy play.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 5:17 AM

Yeah I'm gonna need the 5 minute shot clock please. K, thanks.

• PORKASAURUS
    55 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:49 AM

G0LD:

Do note that my calculations, however daunting they may appear at first, can become second nature with practice, or a mental routine one goes through for every putt. Mind you, in multiplayer games, the timer can force a compromise or best guess, which will likely yield mixed results.

Personally, I see no "fun" in failure from sloppy play.

dude.  go outside and get some fresh air

• Westview
    31 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:58 AM

Good luck using that formula in Match play with a 30 second shot clock...lol

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 8:26 AM

I'll recant just a bit, I guess if you have time and are playing a RG, etc it could be useful to calculate putts as such.

Gold, just how long does it take you to line up and hit a putt?  I guess if you could do it within 30-40 seconds it'd be okay.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 8:38 AM

30-40 seconds lol no. A math wizard might, or the top young guns on this site may have an uncanny ability to compute everything successfully in record time, but with age I have come to live more and more in slow motion. Anyway, like chess, golf to me is a brain game with required physical skills. It is a challenge that you fully embrace or not. If not, you will fair poorly.

Mind you, some may choose to lower their standards and settle complacently for a lesser, but more relaxed and playful performance, as virtual golf is after all only a game. But others, while acknowledging that sobering fact, choose to abide nonetheless by the highest standards, and go to great lengths to perform brilliantly. Ask the best golfers on wgt and find out for yourself what pains they take to outshine the competition. Their 'fun" is all about pride.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:08 PM

G0LD:

Say for example that there are 7 parallel lines between you and the hole, with the following pattern:  1-1-2-2-3-4-3 (the bigger the number, the greater the break). 

I don't follow where you are getting the  1-1-2-2-3-4-3?

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:59 PM

Music can also be broken down into numbers and "formula'd".  However, something tells me that it would be very clinical, very boring to listen to, and most importantly, not very much fun to play.

I'll stick with the BB King approach to my putting thanks.......

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 5:20 PM

"I don't follow where you are getting the  1-1-2-2-3-4-3?"

They are the numerical values assigned to each of the seven lines I mentioned (see example), with respect to break, as it appears, thanks to the travelling balls of various speeds. I fear you have closed your mind to my post and the meaning of it. Keep using the off ding approach as you wish, and good luck! I impose nothing, only propose, with a help-minded attitude. Perhaps very few highly motivated players, who do not mind being technical to have the edge, will derive some benefit from my post.  

Whatever you choose, I wish you all the best!

RSS