Forums

Help › Forums

Shot timer poll

Sun, May 2 2010 1:00 PM (80 replies)
  • VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 2:00 AM

A logical fallacy? If over 50% of the players showed a desire to shorten the timer, don't you think they are basing that off of the CURRENT timer?  it might seem logical that a timer set up option would correct this, but if really think it through logically, you'll see how it will not.

90 seconds?

60 seconds?

50 seconds?

which do I choose........

And no. Not everyone would have to adjust to a shorter time. Over 50% already stated that they prefer a shorter clock, which suggests that over 50% already use less time that is currently allocated to take their shot. (yes, this isn't a direct relationship, but I'm guessing if they are asking for a shorter shot clock that they are doing so because they have learned how to shoot more efficiently, and wish for others to do the same.

And what do you do when you want to shoot a specific course? Do you change the search criteria, or do you let it default to 'any' and hope that it brings you to a group that happens to have selected the course you are looking for? The impression is not wrong, it simply doesn't match yours.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 2:06 AM

Joel,

You are very welcome, but I certainly do not deserve any thanks from that post.

It was your idea, and it was feedback from many other users that led this thread into the realization that their is enough interest to warrant it being investigated. It is not my wishes or any other individuals that should be pursued. Yyou have at least brought this out in a way that should show the powers-that-be that should be considered and researched further. Now it is out of our hands.

And happy B-day to Eddie, I'm hoping it was  MAMMOTH day for him, lol. (yes, any true VH fan knows the reference there)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 2:17 AM

The logical fallacy lies in this: under the current arrangement, 100% of WGT users can take as much time for a shot as they desire (1 to 90 seconds). If you shorten the timer to 60 seconds, then all those WGT users who would have preferred to take between 61 and 90 seconds for a shot, could no longer do so. Therefore the argument with 50% vs. 50% users is a logical fallacy.

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:27 AM

It's not 1 to 90  seconds per player per shot. It's 1 to 179 seconds before a 1-stroke penalty occurs.

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 8:49 AM

Thanks for the useful feedback.

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 11:43 AM

WGTadmin sez....

"Thanks for the useful feedback."

If I may speak for the group, you're most welcome. Thank you for a really fun, challenging game that needs a bit of tweaking.  :)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 10:26 PM

JoelWhite:
    It's not 1 to 90  seconds per player per shot. It's 1 to 179 seconds before a 1-stroke penalty occurs.

No, it's not, and I've already explained to you before that it's not. It's only once per round that a player gets additional 90 seconds following a Warning. On all other shots during that round, the 1-stroke penalty is applied immediately after 90 seconds.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 8:36 PM

60 seconds. PERIOD. I never see any reason to take more than that. Even if I have a tough shot I never take more than 20-30 seconds lining it up.

• borntobesting
    9,629 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 10:48 PM

Faterson:

JoelWhite:
    It's not 1 to 90  seconds per player per shot. It's 1 to 179 seconds before a 1-stroke penalty occurs.

No, it's not, and I've already explained to you before that it's not. It's only once per round that a player gets additional 90 seconds following a Warning. On all other shots during that round, the 1-stroke penalty is applied immediately after 90 seconds.

after the second penalty the 3rd time out is DQ. It happened to a guy that was in our threesome the first multi-player round I played in. 

As for the timer 60 seconds is ok. As long as you think ahead that is all it should take.

• wheresmybeer
    4 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 6:06 AM

thanks for clarifying for me. ive always thought it ridiculous to have 3 minutes to execute a shot, but knowing its only allowed once without penalty and that the third time results in dq makes a little more sense.  other games ive played penalize on the first timeout.   personally id go with 60 or 45 seconds, a penalty after the first timeout, and dq after the second, but thats just me. i despise slow play. line it up and hit it

RSS