Forums

Help › Forums

Shot timer poll

Sun, May 2 2010 1:00 PM (80 replies)
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 1:15 PM

Generally, speaking for myself, Tee box, and fairway shots usually take the least amount of time.  Putting, is another aspect of this game.  Personally in my opinion, it is one of the most important aspects.  They say, drive for show, putt for dough.  Hence, I do take the time on the putting green.  Depending on the length of putt, etc, etc.  So, why rush. 

I think putting in a faster shot timer can cause undue pressure on an individual to play quicker, but necessarily better.  Most likely the player will not shoot his/her regular game.

That is one of the reasons why I don't play multi-player games, because of my slow play.

Addendum:

Why not have a variable shot timer: For example

Tee Box:    30 seconds

Fairway:     60 seconds

Green:       Default 90 seconds;

But as for default across the board, in a multi-player round, it gives you time to relax between shots.  Don't forget, this game does require alot of concentration.  Secondly, you can rush out make a coffee between shots, or grab a glass of water.

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 1:15 PM

After doing a quick and dirty count, it appears the "yes to 60 seconds" have it, so far. I count 15 yes votes (including 1 maybe that wanted a 45 second clock). I count 12 "no to 60 seconds" votes. I did not count those that didn't vote yes or no, but gave an opinion on another type of shot clock. One poster thought it was premature to change the shot clock, as we don't know what the future of the game holds (options for different stance, uphill/sidehill lies, etc.).....probably a valid point, but one that can be addressed if, and when, those options actually make it to the game. Still, I didn't count his post as a vote of any kind.

Keep in mind when voting....this is to determine if WGT should reduce the shot clock from 90 to 60 seconds. It's not a poll for a variable timer. I wanted to see if I was the only one here frustrated by slow play. Obviously, I'm not. And let me reiterate...I don't care how the shot-clock is changed, or whose idea it was...I just want to speed up play in the rounds I'm involved in. If WGT adopts a TWO-like variable timer (and I still don't think they will), there should be a notice of the time-clock length BEFORE a player signs on to play that particular multi-player round. If WGT would prefer a set time for all, I like the idea of a 60+30, then a 1-stroke penalty, followed by the penalized player moved to hit last regardless of his ball position on the hitting surface.

And thanks to all that have participated...your input will, hopefully, jar WGT awake and bring about some type of relief from the painfully-slow play.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 1:24 PM

JoelWhite:
    I count 15 yes votes [...]. I count 12 "no to 60 seconds" votes.

In other words, if the proposal had been accepted, it might offend up to one half of WGT.com site users. Therefore it will, hopefully, not be accepted.

(But, if WGT wisely follows TWO's lead in this regard, by implementing a user-selectable shot timer, they will oblige everyone and offend no one.)

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 1:51 PM

And the converse to that, if you leave it as is you also have a +50% upset user base. I like the idea proposed above that have different timer settings for different shots. I could actually live with a 30 second timer on the tees and fairways (or rough, which is probably more applicable in my case) and a 60 second timer on the greens, where a little more precise aiming and alignment generally requires a little more time.

Either way, I think this rough feedback at least warrants WGT to look in to this situation and see that there is a desire for change, and somehow grab some more data in a more scientific manner.

I'll have to weigh the user selectable option a little more heavily, but my first impression is 'oh, no, not another criteria to search for when selecting a game.'

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 2:02 PM

VanHalenLover:
    And the converse to that, if you leave it as is you also have a +50% upset user base.

Not at all. That's a logical fallacy. If the current timer is preserved, the players who enjoy hurrying & stress can still play their shots quicker and play only with those players who enjoy the same type of stressed environment.

Whereas if you enforce the shorter timer, everyone would have to adjust.

VanHalenLover:
    my first impression is 'oh, no, not another criteria to search for when selecting a game.'

That impression is wrong and this has already been discussed. You would not have to "search" for any criteria, but you could ignore it and leave it at the default setting. (And the default setting might indeed be 60 seconds.)

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 2:18 PM

VanHalenLover sez....

"Either way, I think this rough feedback at least warrants WGT to look in to this situation and see that there is a desire for change."

Thanks, VanHalenLover, that was my purpose. I have no idea how many members currently are signed on at WGT, but I would imagine it's in the thousands, so this little poll of mine is but a microcosm of the whole. I know that when I'm playing with those I don't know, there seems to always be one that kind of la-la's his way around the course...just like real golf. Of course, there is a marshall that keeps play moving along in real life.

As an aside, Happy Birthday to Eddie VanHalen....he turned 55 today :)

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 2:22 PM

... and how old is Cher?

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 2:29 PM

Doublemochaman asks....

"and how old is Cher?"

I have no clue, but even money says she's finally older than Sonny....:)

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 2:32 PM

Reminds me... I should be out skiing today.  Instead I played golf.

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 3:12 PM

Doublemochaman sez....

"Reminds me... I should be out skiing today.  Instead I played golf."

Infinitely safer....unless you were playing 20 bucks a hole with Trevino :)

RSS