Forums

Help › Forums

Secret to WGT sucess!!

Sun, Nov 5 2023 10:38 AM (47 replies)
  • akkid
    61 Posts
    Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:36 PM

Ok, so I've been playing WGT for years, fighting the ills of height and clubbing up, compensating every for 2 years. But here on the game tips FAQ, I saw a simple tip that changed everything. Topspin keeps the ball down, and backspin makes it hang longer. Why so important? You can hit the right club with backspin. Hope this helps everyone, and thanks again to the poster who led to this glorious revelation!!!!

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 10:31 PM

The first rule of WGT golf ... don't miss 'with' the wind

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 10:53 PM

Full bottom spin with tail wind, just above centre for head wind.

Bottom spin will create less roll when the ball lands , but it lands further than the top spin which will give you more roll when it lands

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:37 AM

SHRUDE:

Bottom spin will create less roll when the ball lands , but it lands further than the top spin which will give you more roll when it lands

pmsl I find it funny there would be golfers unaware of that.

If I was asked what is the one thing I want added to this game, I would ask for the ability to move the dot left or right on the ball for a draw or fade.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:47 AM

Controlled draw or fade, yes.  On BPB #2, I have heard some say that they can draw the ball around the trees on the drive by playing an intentional hook (clicking before the ding), but when I try that, sometimes it works, then the same exact shot later, WGT will decide I meant to pull it dead left directly into the trees.

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:59 AM

DarSum:

SHRUDE:

pmsl I find it funny there would be golfers unaware of that.

If I was asked what is the one thing I want added to this game, I would ask for the ability to move the dot left or right on the ball for a draw or fade.

Amen, brother, re: give us draw and fade. In WGT programmer's defense, I'd think implementing draw/fade in a realistic way is probably very difficult. Rumor has it that they tried, but took it away - I assume because they couldn't get it to mimic real life.

As far as your unawareness comment, I'm sometimes amazed by some of notions folks have about golf physics too. But - to be honest - I'm amazed at some of the shots I myself  have tried to pull off  ... and end up in trouble, thinking 'Why in hell did you just do that?

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:59 AM

JaLaBar:

Controlled draw or fade, yes.  On BPB #2, I have heard some say that they can draw the ball around the trees on the drive by playing an intentional hook (clicking before the ding), but when I try that, sometimes it works, then the same exact shot later, WGT will decide I meant to pull it dead left directly into the trees.

I used to play 3 wood off that tee. For the simple fact you could rarely get in trouble. But play driver almost always now.

There are two trees in the rough on the other side of the fairway. Assuming perfect conditions, ie now wind, put the aimer in the middle of or slightly favor the left tree. Hit the line before the ding line. The line where the meter turns blue. I don't use any spin on that drive. Some guys use 3/4 to make sure they carry the left rough.

With a moderate left to right wind don't be afraid of aiming directly at the or left of the left tree. Tail wind you can use about 90% with full bs. With a right to left wind you have to be careful. I've had it start hooking too soon and catch a branch on the big oak. So I'll try to hit it between the first line and the ding line with good results.

You can also draw it further down the fairway on CCC 18 but a little goes a long way there.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 8:06 AM

gr8flbob:

Amen, brother, re: give us draw and fade. In WGT programmer's defense, I'd think implementing draw/fade in a realistic way is probably very difficult. Rumor has it that they tried, but took it away - I assume because they couldn't get it to mimic real life.

Does TW online have this option? I've never played it so I honestly don't know if it does or not. I know the old playstation TW's game had it. That's been years ago though. Like over 15 years. Or maybe it was nintendo. Hell I don't remember.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 8:47 AM

akkid:

Hope this helps everyone, and thanks again to the poster who led to this glorious revelation!!!!

LMAO

Is this guy serious??

• RUNWME
    1,011 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 9:55 AM

JaLaBar:

Howdy

I just took a few minutes to illustrate with pics and video how to draw the ball around trees. Its usefull on holes like bethpage 2 and ccc 4 from legend tees.   Hope it helps

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/84875.aspx

RSS