Help › Forums

Average didnt drop when it should have

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 4 2010 5:42 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Clifton188
    31 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 11:32 AM

Hi im writing to ask if anyone has had this problem. i worked out that i needed -5 for my average to drop and i just scored -6 but it stayed the same. the problems that wgt are having is getting beyond a joke.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 11:54 AM

What is my Average Score?

Your Average Score is the weighted average of your ten best out of your last fourteen stroke play scores (Practice rounds are not included). Your most recent scores are weighted more heavily to ensure there is no "sandbagging".

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 1:32 PM

Clifton188:
    the problems that wgt are having is getting beyond a joke.

You're right... it's a bloody shame they're making you play it.. everyday.

If only you could be allowed to be free and become something other than a poor soul, chained to the WGT website, forced to play on-line golf day after day after day... etc...

/sarcasm off

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Jan 22 2010 3:09 AM

Hi Clifton.  Based on my calculations, your current average is pretty close to what I figured...I put it just above 63 with that excellent 30 (-6) you posted on your last round.  What it was before is a mystery.  There could be anomalies, but I suspect most differences in what we think our averages should be can be attributed to 9 vs 18 hole conversions, the weight placed on more recent scores and what scores drop off.                 

Joey      

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Fri, Jan 22 2010 5:24 AM

I think be careful about assumptions regarding how to make your average drop.

It is based on the LOWEST 10 of your "most recent 14" scores - and the very most recent scores are somehow "weighted" as well to give them greater emphasis.  WGT does not disclose exactly how this works.  (NOTE:  I am fine with that).

Here is what CAN HAPPEN (numbers are hypothetical as an EXAMPLE):

Let's pretend your most recent 14 scores are as follows - with MOST RECENT listed first and oldest listed LAST:

70 74 68 67 71 68 65 70 75 68 73 69 72 64

FROM THIS GROUP, you would DROP the 74 75 73 and 72

Your average would be composed of the other 10 = 68.00 (I am not considering the "weighting" of most recents).

NOW - let's pretend you shoot a -5 round of 67 (on Kiawah).

NOW your most recent 14 will look as follows:

67 70 74 68 67 71 68 65 70 75 68 73 69 72

**NOTE THAT THE 64 you shot probably a week ago has now DROPPED OUT of your "most recent 14".  It no longer counts.

Your average actually goes UP to 68.30 because where the 64 USED TO COUNT, it no longer counts and your NEW -5 score of 67 is counting instead.

Just understand that "older" really great scores will drop OUT OF your average and sometimes create this unexpected result even after you have just shot another really great score.

Something similar to this is probably what has happened in your case. 

One more observation:  This works THE OTHER WAY occasionally (to the player's ADVANTAGE) as well.  AS FOLLOWS:

EXAMPLE:  My current Average is a 66.  I shoot a 66.  Not great not bad BUT right in line with my average.  On its surface YOU WOULD THINK there is no effect to the average.  BUT SOMETIMES the most recent '66' would cause an older HIGHER score to drop from the average - and as such following a "typical" round that would appear to have no effect, the Average may actually DROP slightly.  I have seen this happen in my own game from time to time.

Best Regards,  AtlantaCoaster

• TigerUAss
    4 Posts
    Fri, Jan 22 2010 5:50 AM
    Thanks Allanta Coaster, that was a well written explanation
  • Clifton188
    31 Posts
    Fri, Jan 22 2010 7:19 AM

thanks for explaining that mate it helped a lot:)

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Jan 22 2010 1:10 PM

Just to clarify, when I wrote "What it was before is a mystery" I was referring to the comment that your average stayed the same.  With that 30, it surly would have gone down based on your previous 14 scores.  Since WGT uses a weighted average, simple average calculations will be different. 

I took the numbers from AC's example and simply averaging the last 14 rounds I came up with 69.57, the best 10 of the last 14 produces the 68.00 as used in the example, and the weighted average was around 68.25...which is probably closer to what WGT would post. Doubling any 9 hole score always produces even numbers, where odd numbers are posted about 50% of the time when playing 18...one of many algorithms that may account for differences.

OK get your calculators out and check my math (wink).  

Joey

• TheWombat
    23 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 4:39 AM

Snaike:

Clifton188:
    the problems that wgt are having is getting beyond a joke.

You're right... it's a bloody shame they're making you play it.. everyday.

If only you could be allowed to be free and become something other than a poor soul, chained to the WGT website, forced to play on-line golf day after day after day... etc...

/sarcasm off

A player asks a sensible question and you come on with full on sarcasm. Obviously you haven't the knowledge to solve the problem but to hide that, you ridicule the player.

You're a bully Snaike. If you can't offer constructive advice then STFU, we'll all be better off.

Great answer Atlanta Coaster

• Clifton188
    31 Posts
    Sun, Jan 24 2010 9:32 AM

im not forced to do anything i play this cos its a great game and i enjoy it.who the hell are you to assume anything about me mind your own business 

• PAGES
RSS