Forums

Help › Forums

Take the "Challenge".........if you dare!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 28 2023 7:41 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Sun, Jun 25 2023 2:11 PM

OK, here's the deal.

Many, many TOP WGT Players have the best CLUBS & the BEST BALLS money can buy......we all know that.  of course, those great clubs & balls do help your game here on WGT......that's a "fact".

If you dare.........Try this "Challenge"......because I did....(2( times.  I hit (18) Holes on MERION.  But you can choose any 18 Hole WGT Course you like.

First......You must ONLY use the STARTER WGT CLUBS & WGT FREE BALLS to play.......and get ready to get seriously frustrated......LOL.

If you're worried that this "Challenge" will hurt your "Average".....just play it in the "Practice mode"......Practice Rounds do not count towards your "Average".

I hit I think a plus-11 on MERION......though I did hole out a nice BIRDIE from the sand trap on Hole #1...and a 35 ft. uphill BIRDIE putt on Hole #6. What's frustrating is not having a Driver that will always get your drive to the Fairway.

This "Challenge" will help you appreciate those GREAT CLUBS & BALLS you've been playing with.

Yeah.......and you'll feel like this would be like driving your CAR without the steering wheel, brakes and gas pedal.

Have FUN......*smile*.

SoCalJim23

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Mon, Jun 26 2023 9:14 AM

Just a P.S.......about playing using ONLY your "Starter Clubs & Free WGT Balls".  

At a couple of different WGT Country Clubs....we sometimes would create a CC Tournament.....and specify every member of the CC play a specific Tournament using ONLY their "Starter Clubs & Free WGT Balls".........that way, it put every single member "on the same page".  You didn't have players who had the "advantage" of using expensive top rated clubs & balls.

Jim

• tramilleo
    1,869 Posts
    Mon, Jun 26 2023 9:57 AM

No thanks  wgt's phantom winds and mystery breaking greens are enough of a challenge, have had this equipment for years and i feel no desire to play with starter equipment. Dont want or need that stress headache lol

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Mon, Jun 26 2023 6:46 PM

TRAM..........I have to say, I think that your comment here is pretty humorous.  If you're as good of a player as you think you are.....you shouldn't have too much trouble putting up descent scores on ANY WGT course......using ONLY the "Starter Clubs & Free WGT Balls".

You DO realize that your "Average" here on WGT is a "fantasy" right.

The BEST PGA Players right now have overall "Averages" of 68.0.  

If I had YOUR Clubs & Balls......I think my "Average" would be down where yours' is.  I did notice that I have hit more "Double-Eagles" than you have and MANY more "holed shots"......but my game could and should be a LOT better than it is. The normal clubs & balls I have been playing with for over (5) years are the SAME.....and they aren't highly rated clubs or balls.  And using the SAME very low level Putter for the past (5) years too.

With the expensive Clubs & Balls you're playing with......I don't believe that any of the WGT courses are a challenge for you. Seems like you would be "bored" by now.

Best Regards,

Jim

• tramilleo
    1,869 Posts
    Mon, Jun 26 2023 10:01 PM

NOPE not bored as wgt's phantom winds and mystery breaking greens makes every round a challenge  I am not knocking you or insulting your premise, just stating my opinion is all . Wasnt meant to offend you or anyone else

• Robbo81303
    410 Posts
    Tue, Jun 27 2023 3:29 AM

Frankly sir, I believe your original premise is flawed.  The best players in the game aren't the best because of their equipment, its because they're best able to adjust to the various nuances of the game.  Maybe you don't get out much, but I've seen plenty of folks forking over big bucks for equipment who still can't play the game worth a lick.  I have no doubt the best players would absolutely shred you in your challenge if they felt the need to prove anything to the likes of you.

Moreover, it appears you're being less than genuine as it looks like you haven't jettisoned your 'very low level putter' for the starter putter.  Ironic, in that the venerable starter remains the putter-of-choice for at least a handful of (and perhaps more) Tour Champions.

Good luck with your 'challenge' but I personally can't see why anyone would bother with it.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Jun 27 2023 4:22 AM

Lol I probably couldn't do it, but tougher has been done. Here is one instance.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Jun 27 2023 5:19 AM

DodgyPutter:

Lol I probably couldn't do it, but tougher has been done. Here is one instance.

I really regret playing only one of those 4 events that Corwyn and Cerino put up. Sure was fun hacking away on UEL. 

@OP

Corwyn broke par from the tips on every course years back and many others (myself included) have done it on many different courses, so it's very doable. 

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Tue, Jun 27 2023 10:31 AM

Hi Robb............well, you've made some very good points.  But as I mentioned, I realize I am not the nearly the BEST "Tour Champion" here on WGT.

Though, I think it's interesting to compare the number of "Eagles" & "Double-Eagles" you and I have both recorded.  I'm way ahead of you on BOTH of those categories......and I've been playing with "inferior" clubs & balls for over 5 years. But you have managed to put up a very low "Average"...impressive!

I'm just not seriously concerned about my "Average" here on WGT......I just enjoy playing the game & try to learn more with every round I play.

There's a "Tour Champion" here on WGT.....called "Yoban" from Finland.  Has a 53.74 Average...plays with great clubs/balls...and has hit over 32,000 Ranked Rounds....Wow. He has 7,000 Eagles vs. my 4,200 Eagles; He has 11 Double-Eagles vs. my 23 Double-Eagles....his 1 Putt Avg. is 49% vs. my 45%.  But I admire this guy.....his stats and Awards are pretty incredible. I just can't see myself playing that many "Ranked Rounds"...pretty amazing!

And yes, I agree.....there are WGT players who have very expensive clubs & balls who sill are not very good at this game......but I think you & I have to agree that those better clubs & balls do HELP.....a LOT!  I am eligible to buy the best clubs & balls...but I choose not to buy them.

WGT has "designed" WGT to make a "profit". So really, in order to play well (and WGT know this).....you have to buy better clubs & better balls as you level up OR you'll probably struggle with this game. And IMO, you can NEVER reach the "Tour Champion" Tier unless you have pretty good clubs & balls. Though I managed.....with my fairly "inferior" clubs & balls. And I agree...my Putting "should" be much better; A better Putter could definitely help me.

Hey, thanks for your input here.......interesting. 

Regards,

Jim

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Tue, Jun 27 2023 10:45 AM

The mad mags - fury road , is a great tester too ! Three rounds , difficult controls , ie first round 20 second shot clock ! Second round will be starter clubs and the third and final round will be 40 speed greens . Now that’s going to be fun !! 

• PAGES
RSS