Forums

Help › Forums

How to lower scores-without improving game

Wed, Dec 28 2011 5:58 PM (26 replies)
  • RUNWME
    1,011 Posts
    Sat, Oct 29 2011 4:56 PM

SgtDoodles:

1. Disagree - when you reach Legend you will realise you need to place more emphasis on cutting corners off the tee.

2. Disagree - 5ft away with a downhiller is always better than 8ft away with an uphiller. Take slightly more break into consideration putting downhill.

3. Agree about being slightly more fun - but disagree a lot about extra XP. Weekly unlimited 18 holes, takes 35 mins - 400 bonus XP. Alternate Shot, 8 holes (average match length IMO), takes 50 mins - 288 bonus XP. 

4. Disagree - your full BS pitch will be handy 20 yards out uphill, but it's a terrible club choice for 8 yards out downhill. Learn all the shots, and you'll have a deadly short game.

5. Disagree - get the Burner 2.0's, and play for the shortest distance possible without 100% kamikazeness.

^^^^ agree

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Tue, Nov 8 2011 4:55 PM

SgtDoodles:

4. Disagree - your full BS pitch will be handy 20 yards out uphill, but it's a terrible club choice for 8 yards out downhill. Learn all the shots, and you'll have a deadly short game.

I mean to have a go to shot in a pressure situation. I have learned all of the shots and I play them all, but the pitch is by far the most reliable. I agree that if you are 8 yds away to hit a chip, but say for 20-30 yds i never hit a chip unless there is some slope that requires it (such as short left of 17 st andrews and chipping to middle pin-have to bounce hit off of the big slope).

• cycle1979
    1,555 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2011 7:46 AM

I agree with you Will on most of your points and I think point #1 is the most important.  This game is so much easier and predictable from the fairway and 1st cut under 25% rough.  

Another huge improvement for me was when I started aiming my putts using the cup camera angle.  I've found there are some putts that you can read from behind you that break totally different when you use the cup camera angle.  I think most will agree that this game is all about having as short an approach as possible and being able to hit putts within 15 feet.

Great post by the way Will!  

Cycle

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 11:20 AM

Wowo cycle nice 2 run into u on the forums lol...Yeh I agree...my putting improved 10fold by looking from behind the hole on putting

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 12:39 PM

esssy:
    another words you must start getting contro

"another words?" oh my goodness

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 12:59 PM

TheAceFactor:
    SgtDoodles:
    your full BS pitch will be handy 20 yards out uphill, but it's a terrible club choice for 8 yards out downhill.
    Disagree. You may consider it terrible , but this shot is quite playable, manageable,  AND makable. 

I agree Ace. I've holed-out those down-hill chip shots lots of times. Not to mention those chip shots are good practice for distance control, and will also checkup nice with the new Nike balls.

The one hole that comes to mind is the par four 15th at Congressional.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Wed, Dec 28 2011 1:09 PM

lol ,  funny you say that...this was just this morning , "behind the pin" at 15.

28 Dec
    TheAceFactor holed a shot from 5.73 yards.
    Nothing to call Mom about ,  just that it was "pitched".  Not being able to control a pitch does not make that shot selection a "terrible choice" , which were the only 2 words I had a problem with anyway.
                                                                                                                                  Ace

RSS