Forums

Help › Forums

How to lower scores-without improving game

Wed, Dec 28 2011 5:58 PM (26 replies)
  • Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Wed, Oct 19 2011 8:15 PM

Here are my few but precious tips on how to score low:

1. Whatever you do, hit the fairway. If you are in the fairway, it is easier to stop the ball than from the rough, not to mention that rough lies are a range, not an exact percentage. The ball comes out differently every time. 

2. On any shot of reasonable control (for me and most others that is 125 and in), try to leave yourself an uphill putt. The worst thing ever for my game was not realizing this sooner... Those sidehill putts in tournaments-especially on Oakmont- killed my momentum. Even uphill/sidehill putts are ok, because they do not break as much.

3. Make good friends with a good bunch of WGTers. Not only is multiplayer fun, but it generates a ton of xp, especially with alternate shot. Your friend won't tend to quit games on you as much, so you are more likely to finish your full round with them than others.

4. Have a go-to shot around the greens. Training myself to hit a full backspin pitch (my go-to) shot whenever I can has helped me hit my short shots closer, and making par putts shorter.

5. Learn to plan out your hole before you tee off. Rid your game of those awkward angles into greens and take out the risk while still being agressive. Take the 4th hole at kiawah for example. With that front pin, most people are stymied. If you drive down the left, it improves your angle to the green and allows you to go at the pin. The natural play is half way between the bunkers and rough line. That is actually the toughest angle. You either want to challenge the rough and take the greenside bunkers out of play, or challenge the fairway bunkers and face the greenside bunkers head on. Planning could prevent that awkward angle

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Wed, Oct 19 2011 8:52 PM

The title of the thread makes me go ????

....as these are some of the best GAME IMPROVEMENT tips i've seen posted here in a while. Well done.

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Wed, Oct 19 2011 9:23 PM

lol i do not call them game improvement tips because it requires no better of a player to do any of this, but whatever floats your boat.. These were the tips that made me a tour master without much effort.

• Finnek
    23 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:47 PM

Disagreed! These are the things that separate an average player from a great player!

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Sat, Oct 29 2011 4:48 AM

ok, after 2 comments saying the same thing, I give in!! You people can call them whatever you want, but those top players better not read it and start beating me by huge amounts again LOL. Then again, they probably already use these tips so what difference does it make?

If I come up with any more tips, I will share them with the world!

• 3puttsSuk
    361 Posts
    Sat, Oct 29 2011 8:46 AM

How to lower scores-without improving game

without ??? I do believe is the issue. 

without spending money on better equipment...sure

by might be more suitable

Playing smarter golf is going to improve your game.  Knowing the course and planning your shots accordingly is playing smarter golf.  Many average players just get up there and hit the ball the best they can without planning their next shot.  Getting these tips into their heads is the 1st step in lowering scores.

Good tips, bad title that's all.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:47 AM

1. Disagree - when you reach Legend you will realise you need to place more emphasis on cutting corners off the tee.

2. Disagree - 5ft away with a downhiller is always better than 8ft away with an uphiller. Take slightly more break into consideration putting downhill.

3. Agree about being slightly more fun - but disagree a lot about extra XP. Weekly unlimited 18 holes, takes 35 mins - 400 bonus XP. Alternate Shot, 8 holes (average match length IMO), takes 50 mins - 288 bonus XP. 

4. Disagree - your full BS pitch will be handy 20 yards out uphill, but it's a terrible club choice for 8 yards out downhill. Learn all the shots, and you'll have a deadly short game.

5. Disagree - get the Burner 2.0's, and play for the shortest distance possible without 100% kamikazeness.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sat, Oct 29 2011 11:10 AM

SgtDoodles:
    your full BS pitch will be handy 20 yards out uphill, but it's a terrible club choice for 8 yards out downhill.
    Disagree. You may consider it terrible , but this shot is quite playable, manageable,  AND makable. 

Ace

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sat, Oct 29 2011 11:26 AM

TheAceFactor:

SgtDoodles:
    your full BS pitch will be handy 20 yards out uphill, but it's a terrible club choice for 8 yards out downhill.

Disagree. You may consider it terrible , but this shot is quite playable, manageable,  AND makable. 

Ace

The term "different strokes for different folks" comes to mind... I would prefer to tap a delicate chip in those situations, instead of choking a pitch. However, my point still stands that it's better to learn all the shots.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sat, Oct 29 2011 2:17 PM

Well , if I had kicked your "learn all shots" quote , or if I had kicked your preference to "delicately chip" in that situation (which was not mentioned) , I might then understand coming back at someone in your chosen tone , but I did not kick either Mr doodles , only the "Statement"  that it was a fact that  the referenced shot was "a terrible club choice." And so again...maybe in your opinion it is , maybe it doesn't fit your style preference ,and that's perfectly fine, but that alone doesn't make it a fact sir.

Ace

RSS