Forums

Help › Forums

Mon, Oct 10 2011 6:51 AM (147 replies)
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 12:38 PM

Playing the avatar movements is a strategy, a "read" on the game, an attempt to "solve" the game. It is the sort of thing shared among players for mutual support, etc., but hardly an official part of the game that the insiders (programmers) should comment on one way or the other. They can tinker with the game; we can attempt to figure out the tinkering.

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 1:01 PM

chrisironsbones:

andyson:

I played a couple of test holes and can say the clubs haven't changed.  What has changed is the swing animations.  A full swing used to have an avatar move every 5% of the meter.  That's no longer true as said above.  However, if you used a ruler, tape on the screen or an overlay to indicate per cent of power you're OK.  A choke down to 95% still gives a dependable distance.  If you depended on avatar moves you're affected.

Is this going to be a way of introducing "IRON PAL" on the fly..LOL

Is this going to be a way of introducing "IRON PAL" on the fly.

This is a very interesting point.

Perhaps the "Putter Pal" that everyone complained about turned out a good money spinner for wgt, so in adjusting avatar movements which many use for distance control, that would force players to look for another method.

Next update maybe?

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 1:02 PM

zagraniczniak:

Playing the avatar movements is a strategy, a "read" on the game, an attempt to "solve" the game. It is the sort of thing shared among players for mutual support, etc., but hardly an official part of the game that the insiders (programmers) should comment on one way or the other. They can tinker with the game; we can attempt to figure out the tinkering.

I couldn't disagree more. I would agree if the game we were playing didn't involve money. But it does.

They wouldn't have put the avatar movements in the swing if they weren't suppose to be an official part of the game. To change that aspect with no warning at all is bs. Plain and simple.

• sunshinewilly
    346 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:08 PM

WGTadmin:

Based on your feedback, as our valued WGT players, we’ve been looking for various ways to help speed-up the game, and one of the areas we’ve identified is the time it takes to download and process avatar swinging. In last night’s update, we reduced some frames in avatar animation, which has significantly reduced the size of avatar download and improved loading times, especially during multi-player matches where this affects most players. This change has no effect on the power of the swing or the distance which the ball will travel. However, some experienced players may notice there are a few less frames in the swing.

Please let us know your experience with the new avatars and any suggestions are deeply appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your response.  It is really nice to know why things happen in this game when you invest so much time and energy into it!  I agree with some of the other posts that it would have been really nice to know in advance, but it did not cause me any grief.  

Also thank for trying to make the game better!  Its already a great game and it awesome that you guys are still trying to make it better!!

Thanks.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:17 PM

andyson:

However, if you used a ruler, tape on the screen or an overlay to indicate per cent of power you're OK.  A choke down to 95% still gives a dependable distance.  If you depended on avatar moves you're affected.

I use the meter, never bothered with any overlays, rulers or tape though, just eyes.

Never gone with avatar movements.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:24 PM

overtheedge:

here ..here DarSum. When a change is made that "directly" effects the game, you would THINK it is a good business practice to inform your customers "prior" to the change, especially when money is involved. Not to mention - common cuortisy.  I just don't understand this. Speaks loud of where we stand as paying customers and members in the WGT community in general.  

I disagree. It speaks louder of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing within WGT. They've made the change before thinging it through properly. Did they consult Icon for example. He is the one employee with great knowledge of what is posted on forums. He would instictively know that many players base their game around avatar movements.

I doubt very much the conversation went:

A. We could reduce load times by skipping a few avatar movements.

B. Great, but that will affect how many people play.

A Screw them.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:45 PM

PeterHopper:

overtheedge:

here ..here DarSum. When a change is made that "directly" effects the game, you would THINK it is a good business practice to inform your customers "prior" to the change, especially when money is involved. Not to mention - common cuortisy.  I just don't understand this. Speaks loud of where we stand as paying customers and members in the WGT community in general.  

I disagree. It speaks louder of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing within WGT. They've made the change before thinging it through properly. Did they consult Icon for example. He is the one employee with great knowledge of what is posted on forums. He would instictively know that many players base their game around avatar movements.

I doubt very much the conversation went:

A. We could reduce load times by skipping a few avatar movements.

B. Great, but that will affect how many people play.

A Screw them.

Actually I spent quite a bit of time on this. I think meter improvement is worth little changes. I say little when some thinks they are huge because having 10  breaks on an iron is not a big deal (from 20) since you RARELY choke alot.

When it comes to putter, we worked very hard to make sure we can try to keep same breaks because with putter, many times you hit less than 1./2 meter (actually the opposite of irons).

-wgticon

• DeadlyNedly
    18 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 3:01 PM

I have no problem with WGT making changes to improve the game. I do have a problem with WGT NOT warning its paying customers PRIOR to these changes when it effects game play ! I lost two callaways on wedge shots that came up way short of yesterdays distances. IF I had known BEFORE I played I would have figured out the New distances BEFORE I lost those two balls 

• tjos
    231 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 3:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up WGT.   Lost 2 balls 3 par #10 Congressional.  One from the tee the second from the short tee.  Never lost a ball there before.   Thanks again

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 29 2011 3:06 PM

WGTicon:
    since you RARELY choke alot.

Major tip. Operative word   alot.

RSS