Help › Forums

STIMULUS PAYMENT.....

Sat, Mar 28 2020 5:17 PM (30 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2020 12:52 PM

mkg335:

"Idiot from Kentucky..."

We have many, especially in public office...to which idiot are you referring?

Har, I think of turtles every time I see his picture. :-)

Getting back to JD's topic, I don't quite understand why SS recipients are sharing in the stimulus. I was resigned to not getting one (for obvious reasons) because nothing changed for me or my wife so now it's found money, lucky us.

Still, though, it doesn't make sense. To me, anyway.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2020 2:03 PM

mkg335:
    The good news is that my name doesn't show up until page 2.

LOL  

Kentucky is a great, wonderful and beautiful state. I've never heard of this guy until a couple of days ago when he started spouting off. 

John Kerry said Massie has “tested positive for being an a--hole.” 

Here's a video of the clown doing what was expected: 

MASSIE

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2020 2:40 PM

Jay, first I've heard of him, too...hopefully the last.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2020 3:15 PM

YankeeJim:

Getting back to JD's topic, I don't quite understand why SS recipients are sharing in the stimulus. I was resigned to not getting one (for obvious reasons) because nothing changed for me or my wife so now it's found money, lucky us.

From everything that I have read and heard, this money is to serve 2 purposes.

1.  Help those that are out of work, due to the current situation(they will also be able to file for unemployment(and if I read correctly will be getting an addition 600.00 dollars added to their unemployment amount, possibility for 4 months I think.  Not sure if this actually made it into this bill, but it was talked about.

2.  To stimulate the economy(you and I may now go out to buy something we have been holding off buying).  I for one don't run up credit cards because I want something.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2020 4:13 PM

I get #1 Gary but #2 throws me a bit. Seniors aren't going to boost the economy that much. 

I went looking to see how many SS types were collecting and I found 64 million get SS benefits and another 8 million get SSI benefits. There's 72 million $1200 checks (roughly) which translates to about $86 billion!!  Big chunk of change, where's it coming from? More insane debt to the country.

I'll bet most SS recipients would have been happy with maybe a 5% COLA. I sure would have been. As it is, whatever I get is a bonus and is going right straight into the old savings account. :)

• JDGHOST
    6,778 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2020 8:50 PM

Robert1893:

@JDGHOST

The post above already addresses the fact that those on Social Security will receive the payment. 

I just want to note that you also need to consider that there are probably quite a few people who were earning a "
    comfortable 75K a year," who may currently be earning nothing. There are quite a few industries that have laid people off. For them, it's not a night on the town. For them, it's putting food on the table for the next few weeks.

Yes, they'll most likely be eligible for unemployment. The point, however, is that they're not currently earning $75 per year. And one can almost guarantee that some of them won't have a job to go back to when this settles down. 

Don't turn this into a class thing. That's especially so since you appear to be relying upon incorrect information regarding the bill that's being passed. 

I can see how I would sound like I broke it down to a "class" thing.... so let me put a bit different....Most people making 75k -150K a year have SOME savings (or should?) And they should not be living week to week and since we are talking about 1200 bucks or even less for the over 75k earners... If you need that small amount of money to buy groceries a week or two off from your job...Then they may need need to read a book on how to NOT live over your means....Before I became ill I worked for 25+ years making a decent living (less than 75k) and when I got sick and my insurance policy was a joke... I paid out well over 100k in savings on medical and not until ALL my money and assets were gone HOUSE too...Was I able to get Medicaid to continue treatment....Anyway now I sound like a cry baby..I was just pissed off when I heard about the SSI thing...

I hope you are right but I have read 3 articles that say different..... Social Security recipients WILL GET paid yes and so will SSID recipients....But "SSI ONLY" is a different story since I have not filled taxes in 5 years that's the issue!! And 98% of people on SSI do not file taxes either I mean $9,564 a year??? Really whats to file!! lol

Anyway be safe smart and healthy everyone!!   

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 3:08 AM

garyk49:

YankeeJim:

From everything that I have read and heard, this money is to serve 2 purposes.

1.  Help those that are out of work, due to the current situation(they will also be able to file for unemployment(and if I read correctly will be getting an addition 600.00 dollars added to their unemployment amount, possibility for 4 months I think.  Not sure if this actually made it into this bill, but it was talked about.

2.  To stimulate the economy(you and I may now go out to buy something we have been holding off buying).  I for one don't run up credit cards because I want something.

YankeeJim:

I get #1 Gary but #2 throws me a bit. Seniors aren't going to boost the economy that much. 

I went looking to see how many SS types were collecting and I found 64 million get SS benefits and another 8 million get SSI benefits. There's 72 million $1200 checks (roughly) which translates to about $86 billion!!  Big chunk of change, where's it coming from? More insane debt to the country.

I'll bet most SS recipients would have been happy with maybe a 5% COLA. I sure would have been. As it is, whatever I get is a bonus and is going right straight into the old savings account. :)

THE ONLY people who should get the stimulus $ is those that have been laid off or who are in need.  Those in scenario #2 from Gary shouldn't be eligible.  I read where only roughly 20% of those getting the stimulum $ actually need it.  The other 80% will save/invest the $.  What a total mess.  How f'd up.  That 80% adds up to a whole lot of debt.  Maybe that additional 80% could have been set aside for people who will continue needing it because they don't get rehired, etc. etc. etc.  I know plenty of families who are operating as normal and haven't been impacted other than having to telecommute.  And they're saving $$$ by not having to drive to work, buy lunch, etc. etc. etc.  A "need" should have to be proved before that $ gets pushed out to someone.  

• JDGHOST
    6,778 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 4:08 AM

garyk49:

I heard this to and from what my neighbor tells me she was laid off as semi-part time short hand cook ...She made around $350 a week ...She says when her unemployment kicks in she will receive her FULL salary of 350 weekly PLUS an additional $600 weekly ??? I told her that CAN'T be right ? Since when does unemployment constitute a 200% raise in salary? So am I lead to believe she's now gonna get $950 weekly ??   If so woooooow that's just way outta wack..

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 5:41 AM

JDGHOST:

garyk49:

I heard this to and from what my neighbor tells me she was laid off as semi-part time short hand cook ...She made around $350 a week ...She says when her unemployment kicks in she will receive her FULL salary of 350 weekly PLUS an additional $600 weekly ??? I told her that CAN'T be right ? Since when does unemployment constitute a 200% raise in salary? So am I lead to believe she's now gonna get $950 weekly ??   If so woooooow that's just way outta wack..

This off the fox news post: The legislation would provide one-time direct payments to Americans of $1,200 per adult making up to $75,000 a year and $2,400 to a married couple making up to $150,000, with $500 payments per child.

Unemployment insurance would be made far more generous, with $600 per week tacked onto regular state jobless payments through the end of July. States and local governments would receive $150 billion in supplemental funding to help them provide basic and emergency services during the crisis.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 7:06 AM

mkg335:

Jay, first I've heard of him, too...hopefully the last.

Me too and i'm from Kentucky. At first I thought he was talking about the other idiot from Kentucky, Mitch McConnell

RSS