Forums

Help › Forums

STIMULUS PAYMENT.....

Sat, Mar 28 2020 5:17 PM (30 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 7:21 AM

JDGHOST:
    I hope you are right but I have read 3 articles that say different Social Security recipients WILL GET paid yes and so will SSID recipients....But "SSI ONLY" is a different story since I have not filled taxes in 5 years that's the issue!! And 98% of people on SSI do not file taxes either I mean $9,564 a year??? Really whats to file!! lol

This post has been edited. On the need to file, see posts below by Jim and Don. 

Here's from an FAQ article at the Times' website.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-stimulus-package-questions-answers.html

What if I haven’t filed tax returns recently? Will that affect my ability to receive a payment?

It could. File a return immediately, at least for 2018, according to the I.R.S. website. “Those without 2018 tax filings on record could potentially affect mailings of stimulus checks,” the site says.

Will most people who are receiving Social Security retirement and disability payments each month also get a stimulus payment?

Yes.

And this is from CNBC:

A big question among individuals who are living on Social Security or other government benefits is whether they will be eligible for a relief check.

The answer is yes, regardless of whether they are on Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, or veterans benefits.

https://j.mp/3ar3fcW

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 7:34 AM

Robert1893:

And this is from CNBC:

A big question among individuals who are living on Social Security or other government benefits is whether they will be eligible for a relief check.

The answer is yes, regardless of whether they are on Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, or veterans benefits.

An easy way to know is if you got the 1099 from the government at the end of the year, your statement of earnings.  If you didn't  then filing a tax return would get you there.

@Tom-My wife was on SSI for years until she reached retirement age. We haven't filed taxes for many years, legally, because I don't have an income. (I do pay taxes through my business.) She got the last stimulus check without doing anything so you should be OK.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 8:03 AM

Robert1893:

Will most people who are receiving Social Security retirement and disability payments each month also get a stimulus payment?

Yes.

Video: WFMY News 2

YES! Social Security and disability recipients will get stimulus checks

At first, the measure required you to file taxes to get your check, but now it appears it will be automatic for recipients, no tax filing needed.

GREENSBORO, N.C. — The details are still being figured out, but it appears recipients of social security, disability and SSI will get stimulus checks.

As of right now, social security benefit recipients and social security disability, as well as supplemental social security recipients, are entitled to the stimulus payment,” financial expert Scott Braddock said.

Most adults will get about $1,200. There’s an additional $500 for each child younger than 16.  

You could get less if you make more than $75,000 as a single person and $150,000 as a married couple. The government knows how much you make, based on your 2018 or 2019 tax returns. 

RELATED: Stimulus check calculator: See how much you'll likely be getting

Cheryl wrote in to ask, “I'm a 70-year-old and the last three years we did not have to file taxes. When the stimulus check goes out, do me and my husband get one?”

The short answer at this time is, YES! (Updated information since this article was published) At one point, it looked like you would have to find a way to file your 2019 taxes to get the check, but as of now, the government will automatically send you a check using information tied to your SS statement and you WILL NOT have to file taxes. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 8:05 AM

At one point, they were talking adding another $200 a month after the $1200 for Social Security 

• JDGHOST
    6,770 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 10:03 AM

DonCaron:
    At one point, they were talking adding another $200 a month after the $1200 for Social Security 

Boy I sure would forgo any stimulus check in trade for a $200 increase in my monthly SSI payment AND buy a sleeve for all that responded to this post trying to give me helpful answers!!

JD

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 12:18 PM

JDGHOST:

DonCaron:

Boy I sure would forgo any stimulus check in trade for a $200 increase in my monthly SSI payment AND buy a sleeve for all that responded to this post trying to give me helpful answers!!

JD

I would not mind it either. I'm on disability and 63 Now

• AlaskanDame
    18,958 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 12:29 PM
    DonCaron:
    At one point, it looked like you would have to find a way to file your 2019 taxes to get the check, but as of now, the government will automatically send you a check using information tied to your SS statement and you WILL NOT have to file taxes. 
    True. Original proposal prepared by the Senate Republicans ---- and turned down by the House Democrats ---- relied on previous tax filings. The "bipartisan" proposal negotiated as the final package uses tax filings for income determinations of those who filed and uses just SS# for those getting only some form of SS but not enough to file taxes. Sometimes, the Democrats really do stick up for the little guy like they are supposed to.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 1:59 PM

AlaskanDame:
    Sometimes, the Democrats really do stick up for the little guy like they are supposed to.

The primary reason there's so much divisiveness, they're fighting an old establishment uphill battle. The players in charge now need to go, their world is done, it's the next generation's turn. Get out of the way.

• JDGHOST
    6,770 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 3:19 PM

DonCaron:
    Unemployment insurance would be made far more generous, with $600 per week tacked onto regular state jobless payments through the end of July. States and local governments would receive $150 billion in supplemental funding to help them provide basic and emergency services during the crisis.

Well that is just outta wack like I said Don lol....So another words people will be hoping and begging to lose their job?.... I can hear them now..."Please lay me off due to the pandemic so I can get my FULL salary with a cool $600 a week on top for almost the next year" 

If this is true...Then everyone that has NOT lost their job and are on the front line should receive an additional $600 week just on dam principle!!! ESPECIALLY the medical workers! My roommate works at a small grocery store/gas station and HAS to continue to work because her job is deemed  "essential" and we live here in NY and she has to be face to face with tons of people everyday putting herself at risk for 13 bucks an hour or the bills cant be paid...

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2020 3:59 PM

JDGHOST:
    Well that is just outta wack like I said Don lol....So another words people will be hoping and begging to lose their job?.... I can hear them now..."Please lay me off due to the pandemic so I can get my FULL salary with a cool $600 a week on top for almost the next year" 

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that they'll get a full salary plus $600. That's not my understanding. 

My understanding is that those who are unemployment will continue to receive unemployment benefits, which are capped (caps vary by state) plus the $600 through July. After July, their benefits go back to normal. The national average for weekly unemployment benefits is ~$400. 

So, for about 4 months, their earnings will be approximately $1,000 per week. After that, the average person would be back to $400 per week. 

Now, why would anyone give up a full-time job to be making $400 per week in the future and that will eventually expire? The only workers who might be incentivized  to do that would be low-wage workers who are also extremely short-sighted. 

RSS