Forums

Help › Forums

What will happen when flash goes away?

Tue, Jul 7 2020 9:44 AM (35 replies)
  • dstarrsfan
    16 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2019 9:35 AM

I read flash is going away January 1 2020. What will happen to WGT? I read wrong it says end of 2020.

• BogeyOne
    1,966 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2019 10:14 AM

They gotta keep it going one way or another they are still selling things and getting our money and surely don't have plans on giving it back.

If you see a notice from WGT at some point saying in effect we are no longer selling items, then I would get worried.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2019 10:20 AM

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2019 10:45 AM

TopShelf2010:

WGTChampion said...

"WGT will live longer than Flash."

Don

Sure it will, mobile does not use FLASH.  Have yet to see anyone from WGT actually say, the PC version will still be here.

We all know how WGT announces things.  They just happen one day.  Will that day state, website can no longer be found???  Or domain for sale?( Not sure of the protocol that mobile uses, as it might still use WGT.Cxx.) 

A number of other websites are rewriting their games to HTML5 and calling them HD, or have shut down some of the flash and java games and now running a HTML5 version of the same game, if they can't convert, the game is just dropped.

• ChacK6542
    438 Posts
    Mon, Aug 12 2019 4:38 PM

stop drawing conclusions even with the adobe's closing to the flash this will continue to exist, which happens simply will not have support but will continue to work, but the truth is that the best thing would be the migration to html5, that protocol is already working in the mobile so it would only be adapted to the pc's

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Aug 13 2019 9:16 AM

I suggest you read the link provided by Scott Hope in this thread.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/599452.aspx

It suggests otherwise.

If we think about that a little bit, what could happen is as soon as a windows and/or browser update occurs after 2020 flash will not run anymore, and you won't be able to enable it.

Given lots of users would fall into that category, it has the potential to be a big problem.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Tue, Aug 13 2019 10:50 AM

I was doing other things before I found WGT. If it ends I am sure that I will find other things to do. I certainly won't wither up and die. The day WGT ends will be the first day of the rest of  my life. 

Now you very concerned WGT players need to find something important to worry about. 

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Tue, Aug 13 2019 10:50 AM

Thanks Kavvz, the article is also on my profile page if it would be easier to send people there.  ; )

As a side note, if you want to get a link to a particular post instead of a thread, click the 'Send to Friend' link on that post, and copy the link in the 'Start a Conversation' pop-up. Then use that link in your message.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, Aug 13 2019 11:19 AM

BogeyOne:
    If you see a notice from WGT at some point saying in effect we are no longer selling items, then I would get worried.

I played the WGT Baseball game for almost 2 years. Loved it. Then, one day, I noticed the 2-3 month updates were no longer coming, so I wrote CS. They told me "we're always working on new features and updates, but we can't disclose the date of next update". 

A few months went by, same message. About a week later, WGT announced it was shutting down the baseball game on Dec 31st 2018 (this was in October, I think). They still had the items for sale all the way until Dec 1st, then the store disappeared, then the game went away as scheduled. :-(

I remember a question from one of the mods (Champ, maybe) asking if we'd still play if WGT was downloaded instead of browser. The only way they could switch would be to switch platforms (HTML5 or Steam....love steam and VAC). Maybe they're working on switching over. 

WGT outliving flash doesn't mean anything other than the mobile version will be here forever. 

I use a 2016/2017 browser (Slimjet 10.0.7.0) that was the last version of chromium browsers to allow NPAPI. I have PPAPI disabled and always keep flash updated whenever new versions or patches come out. 

Game has always been smooth as silk (knock on wood). 

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Aug 13 2019 12:59 PM

RSS