Forums

Help › Forums

range

Mon, Jan 28 2019 7:37 PM (45 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 1:27 PM

kavvz:

Thankfully WGT doesn't blindly add or discount features of the game based on small sample sized needs.  

No they don't.  I suspect that is one reason there is no practice range.

As I noted much earlier, they need a business case to show it will provide a return on investment.  Rightly or wrongly, they have not met that requirement.

No harm in suggesting it, but don't expect it to happen.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 4:41 PM

DoctorLarry:

kavvz:

Thankfully WGT doesn't blindly add or discount features of the game based on small sample sized needs.  

No they don't.  I suspect that is one reason there is no practice range.

As I noted much earlier, they need a business case to show it will provide a return on investment.  Rightly or wrongly, they have not met that requirement.

No harm in suggesting it, but don't expect it to happen.

Wonder what the business case was to add the putting green that apparently no one needed or uses.  Wonder why they added Wolf Creek.  No green fee there.  Maybe they were bored. 

Or perhaps they saw the benefit in enhancing their product and thought that monetization would occur that way instead of directly attributed fees.   You know, like a business. 

• Robert1893
    7,678 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 8:10 PM

kavvz:
      Wonder what the business case was to add the putting green that apparently no one needed or uses.  Wonder why they added Wolf Creek.  No green fee there.  Maybe they were bored. 

Or perhaps they saw the benefit in enhancing their product and thought that monetization would occur that way instead of directly attributed fees.   You know, like a business. 

So, why do you think WGT hasn't added a driving range?

If you already answered that and I simply missed it, I apologize. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 10:21 PM

Hypotheses abound but we don't know any answers.

I don't know when the putting green became part of the game - I have not been here that long.  They may have felt it was required - I don't know. 

We don't know the arrangements for new (WC) or disappearing (Oakmont) courses, so we guess.

There is no sense in guessing and arguing - WGT has heard this request numerous times and they have yet to act on it.  They might add one tomorrow - or never.  After this period of time, I'm not betting on it happening anytime soon.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Jan 24 2019 6:06 AM

Robert1893:

kavvz:

So, why do you think WGT hasn't added a driving range?

If you already answered that and I simply missed it, I apologize. 

I don't believe it's because the business case says it won't be profitable, or because they haven't done up the business case yet.

I think it's 1 of 2 things, or a combination of both perhaps.

1. There are other more important things they need to be working on
    2. It's not as easy as we might think it is

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2019 8:33 AM

One of the huge benefits of a range would be the ability to compare different model balls in the same wind conditions.  This is impossible in current "practice mode".  You can get similar conditions, but not the same.  If WGT does ever "build" a range I hope that the capability to do that is included.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2019 9:21 AM

Great idea!

Thought I'd recap some features discussed in here for what would make a great practice range and addition to the game.

1. Hit off of fairway or the tee
    2. Allow varying levels of wind including zero
    3. Allow varying directions of wind
    4. Allow us to hit from the sand
    5. Allow us to hit from varying levels of rough
    6. Be able to switch between any club or ball in your bag
      • Without having to exit and equip
    7. Keep track of every shot and allow easy download/export when range session is complete
      • Save the club hit
      • Amount of spin
      • Where shot was hit from (i.e. fairway, tee, sand/rough and % of each)
      • Carry distance of shot
      • Roll out would be cool too
    8. Bonus: Be able to switch to any club or ball in pro shop

If I've forgotten anything or anyone thinks of anything new lemme know!

cheers!

brad

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2019 12:45 PM

That would be a great range!  I don't see why it couldn't be feasible as a business model.  WGT could charge for a bucket of balls just like an actual range.  Price varies depending on the balls you select and size of the bucket.  

• TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2019 3:36 PM

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, Jan 25 2019 5:17 PM

kavvz:

Great idea!

Thought I'd recap some features discussed in here for what would make a great practice range and addition to the game.

1. Hit off of fairway or the tee
    2. Allow varying levels of wind including zero
    3. Allow varying directions of wind
    4. Allow us to hit from the sand
    5. Allow us to hit from varying levels of rough
    6. Be able to switch between any club or ball in your bag
      • Without having to exit and equip
    7. Keep track of every shot and allow easy download/export when range session is complete
      • Save the club hit
      • Amount of spin
      • Where shot was hit from (i.e. fairway, tee, sand/rough and % of each)
      • Carry distance of shot
      • Roll out would be cool too
    8. Bonus: Be able to switch to any club or ball in pro shop

If I've forgotten anything or anyone thinks of anything new lemme know!

cheers!

brad

Well that sounds good.

Where might I find such a range in the real world?

RSS