Forums

Help › Forums

range

Mon, Jan 28 2019 7:37 PM (45 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 11:43 AM

garylewisgr:

Also when you take a mulligan, your ball gets used up faster ! There is a-2 beside your ball indicating 2 strokes was taken off the life of your ball.

Or did you guys not notice this !

Yes we know.  It is in the game FAQ and other locations in the forum.  WGT apparently has to hit the ball back to you.......

Did you know in RL a mulligan also requires two hits? ;)

Anyway, that is the price of practice.  If, and it is a huge IF, WGT were to implement a practice range - with all the options - they would charge a fee.  This is a fact because WGT is a business.  My guess is that the fee would probably be based on the number of times you hit the ball.  Sounds familiar.

While a practice range would be nice, it would not be free.

At least the putting green is free!

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 11:48 AM

RL doesn't factor in & you have no idea if a practice tee would be pay to practice or not.  

Regardless, it's a good idea and one I'd like to have.  Would be so much better than heading out to some random hole and hitting mulligan a 1000 times.

WGT could even have it keep track of the carry distances for you.  Now wouldn't that be great!  

• TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 12:12 PM

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 1:44 PM

Just what Topgolf (owners of WGT) needs is another driving range. They already have 52 and are building more. Naturally these are not your father's driving ranges, but very high end with lots of food and adult beverages. Go to one and you will understand that they can't make one that works for WGT. If I can't get  bucket of beer to go with my bucket of balls; I won't be happy.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 3:08 PM

kavvz:
    RL doesn't factor in & you have no idea if a practice tee would be pay to practice or not.  

Au contraire, mon frere! 

1. WGT is a business. 

2. Their business goal is to make money.

3. To make money, they have to take in more than they spend.

4. To add a feature to the game takes time and effort by programmers, testers, bean-counters, etc.

5. Time and effort costs WGT money.

6. WGT requires a business case that shows they will make money on said effort - see # 2 & 3 above.

7. The way to make money on an added feature is to charge for it.

Ergo - if WGT adds a feature to the game, they will charge for it in some form or fashion in a way that shows a Return on Investment in a reasonble amount of time.  How they do that is unknown, but they will do it if they add something.

I totally agree it would be nice to have.  I looked for one when I signed up!!  Adding a feature to keep track of the mapping process would be great too.

But having run my own business, and run part of the business end of a major employer, I assure you WGT operates IAW all I listed above.

• Robert1893
    7,677 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 5:28 PM

kavvz:

Regardless, it's a good idea and one I'd like to have.  Would be so much better than heading out to some random hole and hitting mulligan a 1000 times.

WGT could even have it keep track of the carry distances for you.  Now wouldn't that be great! 

Yes, it would be nice. Still, I don't believe it's necessary.

And yes, you're correct that we have no idea if a practice would be pay or not. But neither do you or Gary. In the post on the previous page, Gary suggested that people were not "noticing" that a mulligan uses up two shots, which you offered a +1.

Well, that's only relevant if the practice tee were free. Since we don't know, I don't think it's all that relevant.

Additionally, I would guess if WGT were to introduce a practice tee and fairway, someone would then say, "Hey, none of the courses have zero wind. This isn't realistic. If the practice tee and fairway are going to really be helpful, we need to be able to adjust the wind."

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 6:43 PM

Obviously it wouldn't be useful if the only option was zero wind.

Obviously they are a business.  Gee, thanks.

Wonder why they don't charge for the practice green.  What was their incentive to add that to the game?  Think about the mention of WGT being a business if you're wondering. 

I would fully expect any practice tee to take hits off your ball, but I wouldn't expect to have to pay an entrance fee.  Would I pay it though?  You bet I would.  

Spare me more nonsensical scenarios and remarks.

It would obviously be a nice feature, and they could add many things that make it better if they so choose.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 6:45 PM

TopShelf2010:

I would like to see the same "mulligan" affect put into place. Meaning, the same balls hits are subtracted while using this Driving Range just like when using the Mulligan in practice.

Why would you like that?  

• Robert1893
    7,677 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2019 7:02 PM

kavvz:
    Obviously they are a business.  Gee, thanks.

And obviously it "would be a nice addition to the game." Gee thanks for that as well! 😉

Nobody has ever denied that. But simply because something is a nice addition that doesn't mean it's actually needed.

Obviously.

You're welcome. 😊

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Jan 23 2019 5:27 AM

Disagree.  I think it's need outweighs the nicety of it.  

They obviously felt the "need" to allow us to practice putting and will you look at that, there's no fee either.  Logical extension is to allow us to practice hitting.  I know, it's crazy. 

RSS