Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • dryspot
    690 Posts
    Sat, Apr 20 2013 4:43 PM

I'm the same way i use chip view on the green and sometimes i do ok

but most times i cant do anything right dont know what's wrong.

dryspot

• markmohrman
    1 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 7:33 AM

Agree! Well done!

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 5:54 PM

Effing PAINFUL putting round at SA's... At least 8 putts between 10-12 feet that showed just enough break that if you played the break the ball could go straight.. and if you didn't play it, it would just miss...  6 lipouts... I thought the hole was ROUND?  not tonight.. I'm sure it's me, though.. everyone else has such an easy time putting in this game, it HAS to be me.. lol..

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Apr 22 2013 12:27 AM

CMcCartney727:
    At least 8 putts between 10-12 feet that showed just enough break that if you played the break the ball could go straight.. and if you didn't play it, it would just miss...  6 lipouts... I thought the hole was ROUND?  not tonight..

UEL tourney by chance?

• Hullyfan
    478 Posts
    Thu, Apr 25 2013 4:40 PM

I just tried the chip view on the green for the first time.  It showed it level for about 15% at the beginning and decidedly downhill the rest of the way.  The putter view and the distance indicator showed level and then UPHILL.  The putter view was right as I missed the shot taking some off for the downhill read.  I don't see what benefit there is in that.  Am I doing it wrong?

While I'm at it, moving the distance/aiming box up and down the green reads the same area of the green as being alternately level, up, and/or down.  Is it not supposed to be moved beyond its initial placement? (excepting side to side, of course.)

• RODY123
    376 Posts
    Sun, Apr 28 2013 5:48 AM

Hullyfan:

I just tried the chip view on the green for the first time.  It showed it level for about 15% at the beginning and decidedly downhill the rest of the way.  The putter view and the distance indicator showed level and then UPHILL.  The putter view was right as I missed the shot taking some off for the downhill read.  I don't see what benefit there is in that.  Am I doing it wrong?

While I'm at it, moving the distance/aiming box up and down the green reads the same area of the green as being alternately level, up, and/or down.  Is it not supposed to be moved beyond its initial placement? (excepting side to side, of course.)

• RODY123
    376 Posts
    Sun, Apr 28 2013 5:51 AM

hi, just read all the putting tips and distances.  Can anyone answer this or help with;-  just say you have a putt of say 20ft and you see the grid with the first half in blue and the 2nd half in red towards the cup, how do you reckon up the distance is it up or downhill ???

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Sun, Apr 28 2013 9:04 AM

id hit it like nothing there will get u close

as long u make it up the hill

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sun, Apr 28 2013 1:05 PM

It depends how steep the hill is both up and down hill. But what I usually try to do is mover the marker until the line changes to red then figure out how far it is to that point then figure out the rest of the length. It is not perfect but if you do this often enough you should be able to get close most of the time. 

• ckinfidel
    156 Posts
    Tue, Apr 30 2013 2:50 PM

Such a beginner I shouldn't be reading this stuff yet. BUT I am determined to get better and I think my game is well over the 42% mark for poor/good play.

I'm sticking with the intermediate gear I have, get used to the meters and greens as you write and will just practice, practice practice.

Now in three months I'll come back, re read and tell you how much this helps.

I certainly have a notepad and yet it sems one day I do well, the next I'm hitting every bump and divot on the green.

Thank you.

CK

RSS