2 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2013 10:53 PM

Thank you a lot. Very informative.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:35 PM

ParFortyseven:

Nivlac:

What about using the 50 ft. scale for a 10Ft. putt?  It seems to me that, as the swing meter returns "home" it speeds up and hitting it right on the nose is difficult (I am sixty-four and losing some of my hand/eye coordination skills).  If one uses a bigger scale, then the meter travels less distance and has less time to speed up, thus making it easier to (theoretically) to "ring the bell."  Is this a sound approach???

ParFortySeven

I use as high a scale as possible.I use a combination of avatar moves and putter pal.But always the highest scale possible. For example for a putt that needs to be hit with 27 foot power I would use the 300 foot scale and use 1 avatar move. With a female avatar that would be very close to 27 feet. I only have distance problems on very long uphill and very long extreme downhill putts.

• LarkinPat1
    83 Posts
    Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:20 AM

LarkinPat1 wants you to see this shot replay from World Golf Tour:

# 8. pebble beach Golf Links, using the 300ft putter setting to make this hole in 1, //www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=50747419-57ab-45ea-ab71-a1a3003e902f

was only a 36ft putt avg is 33.33ft per motion love it had used it for ever about time time wgt started letting lose of the calibration took allot out me though gl

• hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Thu, Apr 18 2013 12:31 PM

nonsense! if you use higher scale and miss ding by a tiny bit it means a large error. always use lowest scale. if u have trouvble hitting ding, get a putter w slower meter speed and more forgiveness. also use balls w slower meter. you do not have to ding a putt to make it!  speed and reading the break are MUCH more critical.

4,131 Posts
    Thu, Apr 18 2013 2:39 PM

hatcojack:

nonsense! if you use higher scale and miss ding by a tiny bit it means a large error. always use lowest scale

Strongly disagree with this part of your post,  I routinely use a 100 foot scale for putts up to about 15 feet and a 150 scale for 20 feet.  Combined with the Putter Pal, I need only 10% power vs 80-100 on a smaller scale.  My putting has improved tremendously since adopting this method.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 18 2013 2:45 PM

hatcojack:
    always use lowest scale.

I, too, disagree. One of the most overlooked attributes of a putter is the balance. Putters with high balance attributes hold the line better on longer putts and do quite well when you use a higher scale for shorter putts. It also makes the backswing very short and easy to ding. One move on the 300 scale for a 92 Ghost is 43 feet and the backswing is about 1/4" long.

You are right about magnifying the miss, though. You can't get away with too many mistakes.

• KittyWumpus
    345 Posts
    Fri, Apr 19 2013 2:35 PM

I also use the shorter swing method. For me, the results have been great. Ditto on what YJ said (except I use a Max Master+).

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Sat, Apr 20 2013 12:36 PM

OK everyone is talking about distance for putting, but what about any suggestions on reading the break.

Am I the only one who is having this problem. I am in a slump so bad, its not funny. I am getting within 5 feet on my approaches and missing putts like crazy .

my avg is totally due to my putting. I am at my wits end. 

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Sat, Apr 20 2013 12:44 PM

Just try to hit it to 15 feet those are easier  lol

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sat, Apr 20 2013 4:11 PM

Woodoworkery:

OK everyone is talking about distance for putting, but what about any suggestions on reading the break.

Am I the only one who is having this problem. I am in a slump so bad, its not funny. I am getting within 5 feet on my approaches and missing putts like crazy .

my avg is totally due to my putting. I am at my wits end. 

Totally hear you on that, Gary.  I really struggle with the 7-10 foot putts with break... I make more of them from 15 feet.   Seems like the ball comes off the putter inconsistently from that range and  I can't get the speed right .  Some nights everything goes in, but most nights I can't get any of them to go. 

CM

RSS