Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • ParFortyseven
    60 Posts
    Tue, Mar 19 2013 1:21 PM

Nivlac:

What about using the 50 ft. scale for a 10Ft. putt?  It seems to me that, as the swing meter returns "home" it speeds up and hitting it right on the nose is difficult (I am sixty-four and losing some of my hand/eye coordination skills).  If one uses a bigger scale, then the meter travels less distance and has less time to speed up, thus making it easier to (theoretically) to "ring the bell."  Is this a sound approach???

ParFortySeven

• bluelarry
    2 Posts
    Tue, Mar 19 2013 2:55 PM

I see your problem .  Try reversing the angle and it should improve. I had same thing till i reversed angle and it improved

• ParFortyseven
    60 Posts
    Tue, Mar 19 2013 5:11 PM

I do not understand "reversing the angle"???

bluelarry:

I see your problem .  Try reversing the angle and it should improve. I had same thing till i reversed angle and it improved

• foregettaboutit
    227 Posts
    Tue, Mar 19 2013 7:07 PM

Par: using the reverse angle often provides a more accurate depiction of what the break is on the putt. Using the chip selection in reverse view is also helpful bc you can manipulate the putting grid so that you can see a straight line from the ball to the hole. 

Using a higher putting scale is also a method used by many players. As you have noticed the meter tends to speed up when using a larger portion of the scale. So for example if i have a putt where i want to hit 12.5 feet of power i will use my 50 foot putter scale and hit at 25 % of the meter to get a smooth meter. Use putter pal or a home made putter pal to ensure proper distances. 

Fore

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 20 2013 5:06 AM

ParFortyseven:
    If one uses a bigger scale, then the meter travels less distance and has less time to speed up, thus making it easier to (theoretically) to "ring the bell."  Is this a sound approach???

I think it is. Been doing that since I learned this method almost 4 years ago. Much easier to ding the putt but you have to be aware that using the larger scales for shorter putts magnifies misses. 

• alexxandr
    3 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2013 7:15 AM

tried your tip, works a treat. now I can start enjoying the game. great work. thanks

alexxandr

• RRRRoberts
    11 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2013 5:23 AM

all your info thanks for I could not under stand the putting as well as on the wee game

after 4 days iv been up and down and this will help a lot 

thanks big time 

Rob Roberts

• johnnyfstick
    1 Posts
    Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:55 AM

I was having some difficulty as the greens became faster.  I keep comming back to this information, it's in my 'evey shot' routine that i have as i inspect the shot.  I do take notes on general information about courses and CTTH matches.

Thank you for taking the time to deseminate.

J Flagstick

• creamer444
    783 Posts
    Thu, Mar 28 2013 11:30 AM

each to there own on putting styles.i move the arrow and miss ding on purpose unless straight or slight break. i also use 25 meeter on all putts unless im further away prefer watching meeter come from not to far up its better i think.

• mgbirish
    4,019 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 5:11 PM

I use the P&P method.........which i have not perfected,  Putt and Pray ;)

mgbirish

RSS