Help › Forums

Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Apr 4 2010 7:54 AM

SystemCrash:

golferfrank63:
    love the game but putting  horrible glad to meant you all but giving up on game  bye :(

I think almost every masters here would tell you that their putting sucked for a while and then, magically, they started to "feel it". I'm sure we will too.

Rob

Rob's statement above compelled me to respond...

Yes... my putting sucked... still does, at times. But as Rob says, there comes a time when, after many many rounds, that "the feel" of a putt takes over. YJim's dilemma above illustrates this well.

After a while, I became "unafraid" of hitting a putt past the hole. It's hard to put into words but... I sort of "split the difference" on my aim/distance which results in a more firmly-struck putt at about half the left/right distance from the the hole. I know... I know... wtf is this guy talkin' 'bout... ?

Let's say I have a 5ft putt on a "very fast" green with a left to right break of a foot... (determined by quickly-moving "speed-dots" on the putting grid)... there is no ^ or v (rise or drop in slope) with this putt...

I line-up this putt, taking green speed into consideration, as if it is a 6ft putt. In so doing, I've eliminated some of the break, so I then have to move the aimer closer to the cup to compensate for this lesser break. It's not rocket science... but it was hard for me to accept the consequences of many missed putts before I found "the feel".

Sometimes, as YJim's pic shows, stroking a putt with what seems to be enough power just doesn't get the ball to the cup. Very nicely-read putt, but no cigar. With putts that break that severely, "feel" is the only way to get them to drop. Some days I've got it... some I don't. But more and more, I'm finding that taking "risks" like this is resulting in more satisfying rounds... and further development of "the feel".

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Tue, Apr 6 2010 5:09 PM

I hear every word you saying Pugs.Just a few short days ago I decided to do exactly what you have described.Use just a little less break and a little more power.

I been making putts from everywhere.It also relieved some of the tension that comes along with a few of the approach shots.If I can get it with in 10 to 20 to 25 ft I feel like I got I good chance of making it now.They been dropping like flies.lol

It's all about the FEEL!!!!!

Keep Swinging...

• Tpflash
    11 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 2:21 PM

Thanks Niavic,

Do you know where we can go to just a practice green, and a practice driving range. I would also like to pracitce the swing meter without playing the next hole, practicing a muligan would help also.

Tpflash

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 3:52 PM

no putting green or driving range as of yet Tpflash, but you can enter a practice/unranked round by your lonesome and do just that - practice whatever shot you wish!

• DonnieBax
    17 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:10 PM

Why is there no "unsubscribe" option for this post for me?

I get emails every time someone posts. The options to unsubscribe listed in the email are not there??

Please unsubscribe me from all emails. I have no threads/posts I am watching.

TY

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 2:28 AM

DonnieBax,

Click 'edit' on your post, and scroll down until you find the option to 'E_mail me repies....', just un-check that, and click 'post' 

If I remember right, it remembers your last selection, and this will be the new default - meaning that if you ever DO what replies E-mailed, you have to go update a post within the thread you want replies from.

• ripp70
    3 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:51 AM

I dont think that I am reading every putt perfectly, but everytime i hook it it goes right and everytime i slice it goes left.  When i hit it perfect it always misses just barely or an inch too short or lips out from being too long.  What is the deal?  I guess the Golf God's are not in my favor.  I like the game but can't deal with the inconsistency.

• lucas27
    17 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 9:06 AM

thank you, well explained

best regards

• wayfader
    50 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 11:50 AM

Thanks, My game just got 60% better

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 1:29 PM
    Here's the best and most accurate tip for putting, HIT THE SWEET SPOT on the Swing Meter and have the correct alignment or the putt 9 out of 10 times will not go in especially if it's for a birdie or better, chances are probably 1 in 5 if its for birdie or par and 1 in 3 if its for a Bogey or greater. The distance on putts using the method described is fairly accurate, but you have to hit the sweet spot or the wind, green speed and break will tend to either exaggerate it or leave you short and frustrated! Practice is a must !!!!! I hope this helps someone because I get frustrated at times as well with it but dont give up ! May the wind always be at your back and your ball be in the short grass ! :)
RSS