Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • Nakhjavani
    5 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 9:06 PM

A  game of precision and angles. Indeed that is why we love it so much

• iGoIf
    2 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 12:14 PM

Putted @least 3x as good as my average after reading this.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Wed, Mar 17 2010 7:52 AM

What about either slowing the meter down OR making the sweetspot larger. Real golf clubs are more forgiving.

I vote for a larger sweetspot!!

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 8:14 PM

overtheedge:
    WOW!!! Super job niv.... Golf is a game of percision and details, and you covered both in this thread. Any tips in getting out strong out of 30% / 40% ruff @ BPB? Thanks again niv.....edge

use either the flop or punch from the 30%/40%. They both work fairly well. I prefer the punch. Just takes a little practice.

• TheHorne
    2 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:24 AM

Awesome thanks a lot

I was getting frustrated that there wasnt a practice green as playing around to practice doesnt really cut it for me so this has been great.

Thanks again

• orwellianpig
    6 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:19 PM

I can too. I took a note card, cut it to the scale of the putting swing. Then i cut another the exact same length, using this one to fold in half to find 50%, half again for 25%, half again for 12.5% and then one more time for 6.25% marking them on both sides of the 50 as you go. Then you just do the math for whichever range you are on. Very easy to precisely control the distance. A happy accident in that my layover slid nicely into the bottom of the monitor at just the right spot therefore not requiring any tape. Only problem now is that was for pro conditions and I've since bumped up to master and I'm thus far horrid trying to putt on very fast greens.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:29 AM

How do I fix this? SA#2 when you don't get the top of the hill and heavy wind blows you right-35 ft with 12" rise and a 2 grid break. I dinged a 48 ft putt (3 moves on my Redwood 90 scale.) Do I aim lower and hit faster,(a scary proposition?)

Yeah, yeah, I know, get it closer to start with. 

The biggest source of putting frustration for me is dinging putts that miss the hole by a pixel.

• golferfrank63
    187 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 6:25 PM

love the game but putting  horrible glad to meant you all but giving up on game  bye :(

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 12:41 PM

golferfrank63:

love the game but putting  horrible glad to meant you all but giving up on game  bye :(

If it's just the putting that has you frustrated to the point of quitting I would suggest reading Nivlac's quide to putting control if you haven't already. It has helped many many of us become much better putters.

I also noticed that you are using the Spider putter. Although it is much better than the starter putter it is the least precise among the main upgrades available 

Spider 2 precision 3 forgiveness 

Anser 3 precision 2 forgiveness

Redwood 4 precision 2 forgiveness

Daytona 4 precision 2 forgiveness

I used the spider but got the daytona and after rereading Nivlac's guide became a much better putter. While the Spider does have the slowest meter, the precision of the others more than makes up for the slower meter. And I found myself actually clicking way too early because imo it is much too slow.Among the other upgrades the Daytona has the next slowest meter and it is just about right at least for me.

Give yourself a little more time and I think you will want to stay.

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 10:27 PM

golferfrank63:

At the time I wrote this reply, your status was showing "BUSY" ...so I'm glad you didn't leave yet! :)

I understand your frustration, myself I miss everything farther than 8FT... but my average just fell under the magic "72" which mean I'm just starting to play under par even with my brutal putting!

I think almost every masters here would tell you that their putting sucked for a while and then, magically, they started to "feel it". I'm sure we will too.

Rob

RSS