Forums

Help › Forums

Lip outs:

Thu, Feb 13 2020 10:59 PM (61 replies)
  • GaryBarc
    216 Posts
    Sat, Sep 15 2018 9:01 AM

Is it just my imagination or are the lip out events more often occurring. It seems like that to me and I feel my incidents are probably up 500%. Like I can't get through a round with out at least one and sometimes multiple lip outs. Just asking...

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Sat, Sep 15 2018 11:19 AM

Goes to show you, you are close to having the correct line.  Also don't hit them quite as hard.

So in theory it means your putting is getting better.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sat, Sep 15 2018 12:34 PM

The correct speed opens up the sides of the cup, just a little to much mustard, it will lip out. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 15 2018 12:45 PM

GaryBarc:
    Is it just my imagination or are the lip out events more often occurring.

No, it's not your imagination, I see the same thing periodically. It's part of the cycle where some days you own the game and other days it confounds you.The biggest thing about lip outs is that they're usually the result of putting too hard. Like Lucky pointed out, the side doors close if you hit it too hard.

Something that generally goes unnoticed by many is what WGT does to the greens on a fairly regular basis-they alter the speeds. What is a 12 or 13 today might be a 12.3 and 13.2 tomorrow. (Those are just exaggerated examples.) The point is, they change and you have to be alert to this. A couple of early lipouts in a round should get your attention and you need to adjust. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sat, Sep 15 2018 4:46 PM

I don't think that your examples are exaggerated at all, sometimes it seems that the speeds are worse than that!  Either they vary a lot more than u think, or the speeds are misrepresented, especially in clashs!  

• pmm711
    5,516 Posts
    Sat, Sep 15 2018 5:03 PM

YankeeJim:
    No, it's not your imagination, I see the same thing periodically. It's part of the cycle where some days you own the game and other days it confounds you.

I concur...but you should notice early on in a round that something is a wee bit different than normal.  And YJ is correct...it's all about the pace being a little too fast.

Another one of these oddities is coming up just short on putts that you're so used to hitting that you play them by rote...those days when rote leaves them hanging on the doorstep.  They'll make you tilt your head like a confused dog.

I like to think of these things as "close to RL golf" occurrences.  Chit happens...you either adjust or curse WGT the entire round.  It's better to adjust, eh?

• Bowl64
    3,086 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2018 4:03 AM
    But at the moment it`s totally fck up in my opinion. Breaks, winds, distances, you name it. So adjusting, for me at least, is not easy. Feels like a guessing game 80% of the time.
  • Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2018 7:17 AM

Bowl64:
    you name it.... 

I name it, but i don't know what name to give. Any godfathers here??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlUJuYsUWY

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2018 7:31 AM

Yiannis1970:

Bowl64:
    you name it.... 

I name it, but i don't know what name to give. Any godfathers here??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlUJuYsUWY

Someone already named it, "golf"!  Why did they call it golf? Because all the other 4 letter words were taken.    :^)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Sep 16 2018 9:33 AM

pmm711:
    Another one of these oddities is coming up just short on putts that you're so used to hitting that you play them by rote...those days when rote leaves them hanging on the doorstep.  They'll make you tilt your head like a confused dog.

Heh, Tiger Woods' performance at the BMW is a perfect example. He shoots a 29 on his way to a 62 because he was putting lights out. The very next day he can't sink one to save his life and cards a 70. LOL, you think he said a few WTFs during that round?  :-D

RSS