Help › Forums

Ball suggestion request from any 'ol pros

Tue, Apr 17 2018 1:42 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 9:05 AM

slimjym:

I appreciate your input, (as well as others) regarding my question. So that I'm not misunderstood, I agree that sticking with a particularly metered club set (at least for extended periods of time) is the way to go. If I have occassionally switched between sets, it has ONLY been to get a general feel for each of my different metered sets, as I realize accurate fine-tune mapping is best accomplished one set at a time with one particular ball.

Regarding my ball question, I was only looking for what might be a good ball to use for each of my metered sets (i.e. my slower & faster metered sets). So that there's no confusion, I'm not looking for a single ball that I can use with both sets, but rather a good ball to use for EACH of my sets. I realize that this requires choosing a favorite ball for my slower meter set, while choosing another favorite ball for my faster metered set, but it's been my intention all along to have two different metered sets I could use (for extended periods) with balls of various meter & cost. I don't want to give the impression that I constantly switch between my different metered club sets (I don't), but rather I have them for versatility & economics.

In the final analysis, I realize that whatever ball is chosen for whatever metered set of clubs are being used,  that accurate mapping is surely the most important factor in obtaining consistent results.   Slimjym

Why are you making this so difficult ? Also what is it that you are trying to do ? If you want to play a better game then you need to practice . All of this flip flopping around with clubs and balls will not help you play better .You need to develop a consistent way to play and use your clubs .

No one can tell you the best ball to use thats up to you . For me the best ball is the L35+ Cally ball .You will get good distance and all of the spin that you will need . It will also play well with either club set . Why did you buy the same 3 wood twice ? Once would have been enough .

So if you want to play better then go play stroke play practice rounds . Learn course management and ball placement . Also work on your short game by playing either single blitz or ctth rounds . Learn how to use the punch pitch and flop shots with your wedges . Figure out which set of clubs you like the best and be done with it .

You have to commit to playing better and doing what it takes to play better . Practice practice and then more practice . You should already be at the Champion tier instead of wasting your time and credits fooling around . But as long as you keep doing what you are doing , it wont matter which ball you use . It also wont matter as to which set of club you play with either .

So either take the advice everyone is trying to give you or dont waste their time asking for advice or help . After all if you are going to do it your way , why ask for the advice ?

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 9:05 AM

@Bernie395

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 9:07 AM

Robert1893:
    While others may differ, which is fine, I'm a "one ball" person. I simply think that you should find one ball that works well and stick with that

Correctamundo.. <-- should be in the SED ( Spanish English dictionary )

Tho I get the occasional naysayer still..eh Rob ;))

Perfect advice..above.(edit) when I started typing on the 1st page ) ;/

Back 4 / 5 years ago, the hoohaa was " $6 for a sleeve, you must be mad "  etc..

Edit..most expensive balls the Max pro at the time.

Looking 'pretty smart' <---pulp fiction line....now hey

Especially if the new balls are JUST off the Nike yardage !!!!

Woo woo  I was jokin..they are gonna be the same..Breath AND (out) Relaxxx

;)))

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 9:22 AM

Bernie395:

This sentance stood out to me when I read your OP:

slimjym:

I assume it would be advantageous to approx match the meter of the ball to the meter of the club set I'm using at the time?

From what I understand there isn't any advantage at all to matching meter speeds of your balls and clubs.

I heartily disagree. Having the same meter speed across the board goes a long way to developing a rhythm in your swing. You don't have to remind yourself there's a different club speed when you switch shots, you can focus on the shot itself. 

The advice (admonition?) to the OP on the one ball move is right on. The 2 club sets are different as it is and the only way you're going to know this is by using the same ball for both sets. IMO, having 2 sets of clubs anyway is inviting inconsistency, juggling balls magnifies that.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 11:27 AM

YankeeJim:
    I heartily disagree. Having the same meter speed across the board goes a long way to developing a rhythm in your swing. You don't have to remind yourself there's a different club speed when you switch shots, you can focus on the shot itself. 

I believe what Bernie was referring to was matching the mater speed of the clubs to the ball. In other words, I understood him to be saying that it's not important to have your ball's meter speed match the equipment's meter speed.

If I read him correctly, he's saying that if your clubs have a meter speed of 3.0 you don't necessarily need to purchase balls with 3.0 meter speed. The balls can be any meter speed you want and there's no advantage to getting balls with 3.0 meter speed simply because the clubs are that speed. 

• Bernie395
    576 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 11:30 AM

YankeeJim:

Bernie395:

This sentance stood out to me when I read your OP:

slimjym:

I assume it would be advantageous to approx match the meter of the ball to the meter of the club set I'm using at the time?

From what I understand there isn't any advantage at all to matching meter speeds of your balls and clubs.

The advice (admonition?) to the OP on the one ball move is right on. The 2 club sets are different as it is and the only way you're going to know this is by using the same ball for both sets. IMO, having 2 sets of clubs anyway is inviting inconsistency, juggling balls magnifies that.

Jim - I wasn't talking about matching meter speed of your clubs.  I think that is very important and I stick to that as much as possible.

What I took from the opening post was that he was trying to match the meter speed on his ball with the meter speed of his club.  Perhaps I misread that but it's how I interpreted his sentance.  

My recommendation for his clubs would be to stay at 4.2 meter speed as much as possible, only substituting with 4.5 as needed (wedges and/or drivers)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 11:41 AM

Robert1893:
    I believe what Bernie was referring to was matching the mater speed of the clubs to the ball.

Re-reading it, I think you're right. I also think he's right in the assumption. Thanks for the clarification.  :-)

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 11:46 AM

👍

• Bernie395
    576 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 1:42 PM

YankeeJim:

Robert1893:
    I believe what Bernie was referring to was matching the mater speed of the clubs to the ball.

Re-reading it, I think you're right. I also think he's right in the assumption. Thanks for the clarification.  :-)

I responded to your original post a few hours ago, but since I don't post often in the forums it's waiting to be reviewed.

When (or if) my posts ever hits it will look a bit out of place given how long it took. 

I apoligize in advance for the delayed (and outdated) responses.  :)

• PAGES
RSS