Forums

Help › Forums

Ball suggestion request from any 'ol pros

Tue, Apr 17 2018 1:42 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • slimjym
    141 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2018 2:42 PM

Recently bought two new sets of clubs each with different meters after using starter clubs & ball for 5 yrs. Meters of my new clubs are listed to the right. Top club set is the slower metered set, while the bottom club set has a slightly faster meter.

• L103 TaylorMade Driver                                                                      4.5
    • L99 Cally Fusion 3-WD                                                                       4.2
    • L97 Cally Steelhead Irons 3i-PW                                                        4.2
    • L94-96 Mack Daddy 52° 56° 60° Wedges                                          4.5
    • L98 Odyssey Sabertooth M2 Putter                                                    5.0
    • (average meter of the set above (excluding putter) approx. 4.2 to 4.5)
    • xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    • L100 Cally Fusion Driver                                                                     4.2
    • L99 Cally Fusion 3-WD                                                                       4.2
    • L100 Cally Apex Irons 3i-PW                                                              3.7
    • L76-78 Cleveland 56° 60° 64° Wedges                                              3.5
    • L98 Odyssey Sabertooth M2 Putter                                                    5.0
    • (average meter of the set above (excluding putter) approx. 3.5 to 3.7)
    • xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Would appreciate any suggestions for modestly priced balls (250-300 credits) that would work well with each of my different metered club sets. I assume it would be advantageous to approx match the meter of the ball to the meter of the club set I'm using at the time? I'm looking for balls that work well, without spending an arm & a leg & realize I will most likely need two (2) distinct types of balls to optimize the slow & fast meter of my club sets.

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2018 3:26 PM

Since you're used to a faster meter I'd say give the higher level WGT balls a shot first.

If those don't work out try the level 26+ Volvik's.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck out there.

SP

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2018 3:59 PM

slimjym:
    most likely need two (2) distinct types of balls to optimize the slow & fast meter of my club sets

Not really. I took a look at your stats. I sure hope the new kit will improve your GIR and putting in general. Easiest way to get better at putting is to hit it closer. 

Duh.  :^)

With the slower meter clubs, you will probably get more help from a ball with a little added distance. That's what I discovered worked best for me some ages ago. Regardless, the key is have both sets calibrated, knowing how far any shot will go with any club. Some call this mapping your irons, etc. 

I note your CC. Some excellent folk in there, who have in the past helped people along with the game. Don't be shy. Use the CC forum and say "Hi." for me. 

Good luck. 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2018 5:34 PM

@slimjym

The Callaway Chrome Soft (Level 33+) are the best value balls out there. Can't go wrong with them. 

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2018 11:47 AM

I also used to use the Callaway Legend level 45 balls and they're nice too.  Lower durability, though so have to buy more often.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 9:11 AM

Robert1893:

@slimjym

The Callaway Chrome Soft (Level 33+) are the best value balls out there. Can't go wrong with them. 

Totally agree. The 33 Callaway has always been the best cheapest decent ball. Gives you enough distance and spin to compete AND it forgives mishits better than any decent ball I've seen.  :-)

p.s., Whatever you do, make sure that 64 degree wedge is part of it. The pitch and punch shots with full back spin and that 33 Callaway are exceptionally accurate shots and easy to map. The full shot is as well.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2018 6:07 AM

Your problem really is not what ball to adopt (Callaway level 33 @ 250 a Consumer Reports best buy), but which iron set to fully commit to.  Switching back and forth, round after round, is not the best way to evaluate. Perhaps, ten rounds with one set and then ten with the other  could give a enough of a feel to make the choice. But, to play your best golf, you do need to choose.

I have not played with either iron set, so can't make a suggestion. I would say that the Cleveland wedge set will play well with any ball while giving you very true numbers. Certainly, your new clubs will allow you to perform at a much higher level than the starters did. Good luck and good golfing.

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 6:22 AM

I appreciate your input, (as well as others) regarding my question. So that I'm not misunderstood, I agree that sticking with a particularly metered club set (at least for extended periods of time) is the way to go. If I have occassionally switched between sets, it has ONLY been to get a general feel for each of my different metered sets, as I realize accurate fine-tune mapping is best accomplished one set at a time with one particular ball.

Regarding my ball question, I was only looking for what might be a good ball to use for each of my metered sets (i.e. my slower & faster metered sets). So that there's no confusion, I'm not looking for a single ball that I can use with both sets, but rather a good ball to use for EACH of my sets. I realize that this requires choosing a favorite ball for my slower meter set, while choosing another favorite ball for my faster metered set, but it's been my intention all along to have two different metered sets I could use (for extended periods) with balls of various meter & cost. I don't want to give the impression that I constantly switch between my different metered club sets (I don't), but rather I have them for versatility & economics.

In the final analysis, I realize that whatever ball is chosen for whatever metered set of clubs are being used,  that accurate mapping is surely the most important factor in obtaining consistent results.   Slimjym

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 7:33 AM

slimjym:
    Regarding my ball question, I was only looking for what might be a good ball to use for each of my metered sets (i.e. my slower & faster metered sets). So that there's no confusion, I'm not looking for a single ball that I can use with both sets, but rather a good ball to use for EACH of my sets.

While others may differ, which is fine, I'm a "one ball" person. I simply think that you should find one ball that works well and stick with that. So, I think identifying different balls for different sets of equipment is simply not a good idea.

If there are any benefits, which I doubt, they'll be marginal (at best). And they'll be outweighed by the fact that, at some point, you'll end up wasting shots on a ball because you started a game and forgot to switch balls for the equipment currently in your bag. No matter how careful a person is, that's almost guaranteed to happen.

Again, others may take a different approach. But to me, it seems like too much of a hassle with not that much in return, if anything at all. YMMV

• Bernie395
    576 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2018 8:19 AM

This sentance stood out to me when I read your OP:

slimjym:

I assume it would be advantageous to approx match the meter of the ball to the meter of the club set I'm using at the time?

From what I understand there isn't any advantage at all to matching meter speeds of your balls and clubs.  The meter value for each just helps slow things down more.  The same is true for the spin value.  You have high spin irons so if you add high spin balls that will increase spin that much more.  There is no need to try to match these numbers.

My recommendation for you is to pick a set of clubs and then pick a ball to help strengthen any weaknesses in that set.  For example if you decide to go with the Apex irons with a faster meter you may want to pick a ball with a higher meter number to help slow the swing down.  If you end up using the Steelhead irons and have most of your set at 4.2 to 4.5 swing speed then when you pick a ball you won't need to have a high meter number in the ball because your club meters are already slower.  

If you want input on which stats to focus on I'd recommend that you focus on a ball that has a good durability number and a good spin number if you pick the Steelhead irons.  If you pick the Apex irons and you need to slow that meter down I'd focus on a ball with good meter and spin numbers.  Since you're at the tour master tier distance shouldn't really be a need for you.  If you decide to make the jump into the legend teir then distance will be a big need!  lol

As others have already mentioned, if you're looking to stay in that 250 to 300 credit range the lvl 33 Callaway's are probably the best way to go.  If you want to jump into that 400 credit range I think the Volvik lvl 51's and 53's are a very good ball for the money.  I used the lvl 53 Volvik's for a long time.  I only moved away from them when I moved to the Legend tier and needed more distance.

Sorry for the long post.  Good luck!

• PAGES
RSS