Forums

Help › Forums

It's time for the Legends Tier

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 4 2009 8:40 PM (26 replies)
  • cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 7:10 AM

I just took my 2nd whack at the Week 40 Unlimited 9 (Master's Tier) and improved my score/position from 33/343rd to 31/128th .  A near perfect round with occasional wind at 13 mph plus lands me in the middle of the 4th page of leaderboard!  But for a jumpy meter I might have made two more 10-12 foot birdie putts for a 29, but is absolute perfection now required to have a shot at the top of the board?

There are now way too many Masters, and many who have become extremely proficient. There are also Pros joining us every day.   The Masters Tier was once Elite, something to aim for, but the bar needs to be raised.  Bring on the Legends Tier WGT!  I don't play this game for the prize money, but a chance at some bragging rights is what fuels my competitive nature.  With so many competing, if you don't birdie one of the first two holes in a Weekly 9 hole you feel like you are sunk.  There has to be many other Masters who feel exactly the same way.  I'd love to hear some feedback.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 7:47 AM

I agree there has to be more tiers.  WGT has their work cut out for them.  My thoughts would be to add two more tiers.  One at the pro level and one at the masters level.  The skill level required doesn't reflect the tier you are playing when you are first promoted to these tiers.  Not until lots of hours have been put into practicing, and developing different shots.  Now, for the average player this could be a deterrent, but for the competitive player this is the challenge.  Lets also be fair, you need to be challenged, otherwise where's the fun.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 8:11 AM

Adding tiers might cause tee problems. I would love to see an elite tier myself, would be something to shoot for BUT...there has to be another tee on the course. I think BPB has a set of championship tees that we don't see which would work but does Kia?

How would you distinguish the difference between a master playing an elite without different tee off spots? You can monkey with the clubs but that doesn't help. Would the master automatically tee off forward of the elite, such as off the whites? I'm sure there's more snags.

However, in the interim, why not break down the tourneys by average (here come the sandbaggers!), or some such method that pits the best against the best, etc. Or maybe have qualifying rounds one week and the tourney the next, allowing for 2 tourneys a month? CTTH is what i is, good practice for me but I've got the proverbial snowball's chance of winning against the likes of AvatarLee, et al. I might, though, if he was in a higher tier. You get the idea....

YJ

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 10:16 AM

You hit the nail right on the head.  Your ranking as you improved would be the sign for advancement, utilizing the same tee block.  Don't forget it is quite the jump from going from Pro to Master.  Also, different people progress at different rates. As for the sandbaggers, I would think over a period of time you would be able to spot them quite easily.  Then all of a sudden their promoted to the next level.

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 12:53 PM

There is another Tee at Bethpage (US Open) and at Kiawah. You can see it at Kiawah when you look at the small map. There's always one more Teeing Ground. So a Legend Tier is defenetely makeble and in my opinion needed. 3 Weeks ago I shot the round of my life(29 at Master Tier Back nine Kiawah) and got 12 cent for it. There are too much Masters with too good clubs. So give them the Legends Tier so they could play in their own league.

regards

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 1:13 PM

Interesting thought... but one would ask:

What criteria would you use for the Legends Tier?  Career Earnings?  Rank/Score?

And don't you think that this would promote sandbagging even more?

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 1:17 PM

Nivlac's original idea of a qualifier is still the best one IMO for the Legends tier.

And yes, there are currently too many people in the Master division, many with no hope of getting many credits through tournaments.  There seem to be enough people playing the game to warrant a new tier right now.

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 1:20 PM

In my opinion getting there you should have at least 15$ Career earnings and a Scoring Average from 62 at the Master Tier. Another factor for getting there is playing this game for at least 3 months. There should be 500 credits for getting there. Tournament prizes...well maybe 3000 credits.

This is my opinion. Any Feedback? 

• cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 1:46 PM

Some sort of a qualifier would be a great idea.  You can't use career earnings due to the random drawing prizes, and rank/score doesn't deal with sandbagging.  If someone wants to sandbag, let them in my opinion.  Prize money is so minimal in the lower tiers it's no factor.  And I can't imagine how thrilling it must be for a Master to create a separate account and win a Hack tournament.

What could be done to establish Legend status is a combination of scoring average and regularly posted tournament rounds.  This eliminates the sandbaggers to some degree, quitters, and those who practice the tournament setup 10 times before trying to tee it up in a single play tourney.  I'm sure we've all noticed how much less competition there is in those tournaments.  You want to be a Legend?  You need XXX score average and XXX tournament rounds in the last month let's say.  Then pay some really good prize money so there is the double benefit of both prestige and bigger winnings.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2009 2:13 PM

To eliminate sandbagging..This elite tier could be how well you do in 4 rnd tournies that are single play only...personally I use the current scoring avg just as a point of reference when im picking up random matches..they generaly give me an idea  how good they might be when playing there best..

RSS