Forums

Help › Forums

Charlottesville

Tue, Aug 29 2017 3:35 PM (190 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Aug 24 2017 6:35 AM

That would make sense. In thinking about the process for solving logic problems, whether it be simple like Sudoku or complex involving multiple unknowns, when you get stuck you start with the assumptions and then try to disprove them. 

• gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Thu, Aug 24 2017 6:45 AM

YankeeJim:
    The answer is based on an assumption that there should be a line 4. There isn't in the problem. Where do you draw that assumption line when solving math problems?

Jim, this is a test to see your ability to "fill in the blanks" per se. See things that don't exist but should.

Logical progression if you will,. You did, no surprise to me, reading your posts.

Everyone participating in these equations, has come up in the "Genius intelect" range, as all examples, are from IQ test's from around the world.

So even though you are a New Yorker, that has the "God given right to be, ................."

You are one smart "......................".   LMFBO

Welcome to Mensa everyone ;-)

Edit: That was a compliment Jim, not a dig, being from MA., I know only to well the temperament of the average New Yorker. They cling to that claim to fame, as though it was life's nectar.

Some rightfully so, most shrug it off...

"No soup, for me"!

http://www.forumonlawcultureandsociety.org/2010/02/21/new-yorkers-god-given-right/

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Thu, Aug 24 2017 7:17 AM

YankeeJim:

The answer is based on an assumption that there should be a line 4. There isn't in the problem. Where do you draw that assumption line when solving math problems?

Not an expert in mathematics, but I don't think you can argue there 'should' be a line 4. If you want to come up with a mathematical pattern for the answer 6 it should read: 

x*(x-1)

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Aug 24 2017 8:03 AM

Labelling the different rows of the puzzle as y where y is 1 at top down to 6, try this formula:

(y -3 + the sum of all the column 1 numbers in rows y to 6) all doubled

Just a bit of silliness, but it gives 12 as an answer ;-)

• craigswan
    31,009 Posts
    Thu, Aug 24 2017 8:21 AM

A dozen, a gross, and a score
    Plus three times the square root of four
         Divided by seven
         Plus five times eleven
    Is nine squared and not a bit more.

• craigswan
    31,009 Posts
    Thu, Aug 24 2017 8:24 AM

Tis a favorite project of mine
    A new value of pye to assign.
    I would fix it at 3
    For it’s simpler, you see,
    Than 3 point 1 4 1 5 9

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Aug 24 2017 10:24 AM

gonfission:
    Edit: That was a compliment Jim, not a dig, being from MA

LOL. Never thought otherwise. Always fun to converse with sharp minds.  ;-)

• yldcatz
    65 Posts
    Thu, Aug 24 2017 10:27 PM

Using MDAS you get 5

Using MDSA you get 7

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Fri, Aug 25 2017 3:15 AM

Folks, what the h*ll are your doing? I'm out of town for three days (of sun and golf) and you write 10 pages!

Let me stick to one Power Ball posting on page 8:

gonfission:
    Alosso, my wife may be making the delivery, as if any of those numbers should be the "chosen ones", I'm going to die laughing.

She's welcome - I'm gonna invite our Chinese friends ;)

The Power Ball scheme is similar to our "Lotto" which is "6 out of 49" while PB is "5 out of 59 plus extra number". Our Lotto (by a government company) has been played each week as long as I live and pays out to all participants who have three or more numbers correct, starting from a few Euros to a few Millions. A big chunk of the stakes benefits welfare.

Being a numbers guy, I have learned some probability calculus for this type of gambling, and I know that the probability of any combination is equal.

Due to the facts that

- I am lazy,
    - I didn't know if it was only a joke,
    - I don't believe to have a chance, given the low probability,

I chose the easiest way to produce the numbers, by Excel.

I was most excited to see that you have actually placed the numbers!

But I've also learned that some inconsiderate woman took the win away from me!!! I'm only consoled by the low outcome:

- You don't get the full amount from a one-time cash-out,
    - there are high taxes,

meaning that I might only have received 200,000,000 $ - peanuts!

And how should all the cash fit into a suitcase?

Anyway, it was good fun, and it spread to my friends. I told them about your bets, and they informed me about the wrong winner. It must have been the fake press to cheat me on my money!!

gonfission:
    Then, alosso, puts up his number picks.

Aye yi fooking yi.....

You got me alosso. A lot have tried, and failed epically. But not you, NOOOOOO

Now the sweet clerk at the store, that is extra nice to me, is going to have her suspicions about me being, "wahnsinnig", confirmed.

You're welcome! Blame the Germans for that - Order is even more important here than Law!

gonfission:
    Edit: Thanks for the honest invite alosso.

Again you have peeked my interest as to how you would know, I would know the airport code??

You are one sly fox. Golf would be a real pleasure. I guarantee to bring uncontrollable laughter, and amazement with my golfing prowess.

It stands - just bring a buck and I buy you a beer! Fun and bad golf shots are guaranteed!

I had no idea that you knew about NUE, though many GIs have been in the Barracks around. But, this is the digital age, information is at hand. By some means I'd have to add some IQ selection ;)

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Fri, Aug 25 2017 3:38 AM

mkg335:
    gonfission:
    30 cows, 28 chicken in a field

How many didn't?

Too easy...30 cows in the field and 28 of them were chicken, so 2 did and 28 didn't.

I see it the opposite way. If 28 cows chickened in(to) the field, then

=> 2 didn't.

RSS