Forums

Help › Forums

Charlottesville

Tue, Aug 29 2017 3:35 PM (190 replies)
  • gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 12:54 PM

Following your rules Jim, I don't get that.

It seems correct but I get something very different.

The source, says your correct, but I don't

Here's what I get

6 - 1 x 0 + 2 ➗ 2

answers after OOO below

1st multiply =                          6 - 0 + 2 ➗ 2

2nd divide =                            6 - 0 + 1

3rd add                                    0 + 1 = 1

4th subtract                            6 - 1 = 5

According to MDAS & OOO I get 5?????

But every one on the internet arrives at 7???

I think some use OOO & then not use it, to confuse the crap out of us

So who's right?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 1:09 PM

Physically add the parentheses and then look at it. I can see your thinking but I also think the parentheses makes it clear.

I always understood that adding and subtracting occurred in order from left to right, not literally adding first and subtracting second, after the M and D.  

1 + 2 - 3 + 4 = 4, not -4.

It would be -4 if that equation was written like this...   (1 + 2 ) - (3 + 4 )=  -4.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 2:34 PM

gonfission:

Here's what I get

6 - 1 x 0 + 2 ➗ 2

answers after OOO below

1st multiply =                          6 - 0 + 2 ➗ 2

2nd divide =                            6 - 0 + 1

3rd add                                    0 + 1 = 1

4th subtract                            6 - 1 = 5

According to MDAS & OOO I get 5?????

But every one on the internet arrives at 7???

A common misconception about BODMAS, PEMDAS, or whatever you want to call it, is that DM and AS have an order. They don't. Division and Multiplication carry equal weight. Addition and Subtraction carry equal weight. Think of it more like (B)(O)(DM)(AS).

In your example above, the minus sign in your 1st and 2 steps is only operating on the 0, not the zero and any subsequent numbers.

Your 3rd step should read -0+1 = +1.

Then the 4th step is 6+1 = 7.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 3:00 PM

Being that math was never one of my favorite subjects, an' that I was unable to win my last debate by tryin' to baffle with BS, I'm just gonna sit here on the sidelines an' cheer youse guys on , this time.

Doc :)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 3:42 PM

Agree with Brad and Duckster on the mind bender, 38 looks right.

Well done!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 3:56 PM

Duckster789:
    15 sides + 15 sides + 15 sides = 45

This is interesting because it gives 2 ways to look at this. I saw small, medium and large (after not breaking down each symbol.) You saw the difference in sides. Well done.  :-)

• gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 4:31 PM

Well, hello there... Glad to have you onboard. Names Joe. Nice to have the Emperor drop in & set for a spell :-)

fmagnets:
    In your example above, the minus sign in your 1st and 2 steps is only operating on the 0, not the zero and any subsequent numbers.

Yes, because the "Order Of Operations" require us to do the "implied" parenthesis of 6x0 giving the 1st answer of zero, in the 6 - 0 + 2 ➗ 2 equation.

Then if we follow  "OOO" the division is also in "implied" parenthesis, giving us 1

Then following MDAS in it's written form, I did the addition first & then the subtraction last.

I undeniably know, the answer is 7

I just quantified it a different way, which seems to be what the norm is now. There have been some very plausible answers, to earlier questions in this thread, that do exactly that.

I have been trying to explain, elsewhere, (outside this venue) that we need a better math system, for 4 decades now. I rely heavily on physics, as do we all. If we are ever going to make the leap to faster than light travel, the current archaic math, we all have been taught, will never give us the answers to the right questions.

I think I posted somewhere in here, that I could make a numerical equation, equal "COW".

I believe I did, in the end. A spoof on all the mega minds out there.

How exactly the cow, is going to factor into the light  speed equation, has not been thought through yet ;)

With the old style math. This leaves me to believe that if I can quantify a cow, numerically, I am on the right path to find the right question, and answer it with correct new equations.

All this BODMAS, PEDMAS, MDAS, & Order Of Operations, is becoming to murky, today.

There is always more than 1 answer to any equation. Dependent on the criterion, or discipline one is using to achieve the different answers.

That's what keeps these kooky physicist's in there grant money.

After Mark replies, to the "Mind Bender" I put up, I will post an answer very different than what the "WIZ" posted. It is an acceptable one, however mind numbing how it quantifies itself.

Thanks for your input, I am never above reproach, or being duly educated

☢--------<*{{{{{-(    

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 4:40 PM

gonfission:
    There is always more than 1 answer to any equation. Dependent on the criterion, or discipline one is using to achieve the different answers

VEM, in a nutshell.  :-)

• gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 5:27 PM

YankeeJim:
    VEM, in a nutshell.  :-)

That's epic ^^^ but, does it really exist? Equate that... ( ^ o ^ )

mkg335:

Agree with Brad and Duckster on the mind bender, 38 looks right.

Well done!

Yes, very astute of Brad to have noticed the sides of the geometric shapes, turned numerical.

It was an easy one after all. Thought after the first one psychologically setting you up, I could slip one by.

I messed up. That was 2 in a progression of three problems. This one is the mind bender

There will be a video explaining the possible answers to this one. 

There is only one correct answer out of three possibilities, if you arrive at any of them, you are considered a genius.

My mind has been exercised enough for 1 week

• fernet
    25 Posts
    Wed, Aug 23 2017 5:34 PM

3 = 6

RSS