Harsher Punishment for Forfeits

Sun, Sep 2 2018 12:25 AM (48 replies)
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2017 12:18 AM

Hey pvcerod,

I'm glad we're good.  As you posted / copied below:

Not hard to see the dig......

" Excellent point Alan.  Appears to be just another glass of whine, vintage 1977, "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me".   Best when served by Linda Ronstadt,  from the vineyards of Warren Zevon."

It was a dig, but not aimed at you,  That was what I wanted to make clear.  I was trying to inject a little humor, instead of just calling out that person as a dumb a$$.

FWIW, I've left a game once, except due to disconnects. One member of the other team began hitting shots all over the place after making a bad shot.  Everyone else bailed.  Last time I played with a random player in fact.

I agree it's discourteous, at a minimum.  But we all know nothing will change as far as WGT is concerned regarding this problem. 

Perhaps we can get in a game sometime.  Anyway enjoy your rounds and hit 'em where you're aiming.

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2017 9:23 AM

I'll have a word with my pal Mr Chump and see if he'll propose waterboarding for WGT quitters. Or maybe build a 20ft high wall around them.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2017 10:25 AM

Sometimes it is hard not to quit. But I only quit if it is an emergency. The last time I recall was in a A/S match when an unexpected thunderstorm hit. and I told  the players I was playing with and we dropped the match.

But as I said sometimes it is hard not to quit or ay least want to quit very badly.

Such a time was this past weekend. During a A/S match on the first hole my P wouldn't concede a putt under 2 feet on the first hole. On the second hole I conceded a 2 foot putt. My P said No CC P!! And Y said as well as I can remember " This game is not for blood. If a putt is short and makeable I will CC". After that he became a real jerk. Belittling every one and playing poorly on purpose basically throwing the match. And calling me a fool because I was still trying to win even with his intentional poor play. But I hung in and finished the match. I think that made him madder than if i had quit.

• pvcerod
    92 Posts
    Tue, Feb 7 2017 3:33 PM

pdb1:

Personally . I think you all are over thinking it . Maybe some of you have some bad luck with players forfeiting . But most people never encounter it at all . Of course it is real . It happens . Most of us don't do it . Try to avoid it at all costs . I am surprised that anyone is concerned enough about this to even mention it as little as it actually occurs . Since if you think about it . It should really be expected . We are human . And hopefully this game doesn't take precedence over what we are ignoring during some of our time here . 

And to consider punishment for something that is part of the game is laughable . To think that anymore than the smallest percentage  possible of the forfeiters has done it with mal intent . So small it is not even mentionable . Certainly a little arrogant for it to bother you at all about a game . Everybody already knows it is not good practice . Disruptive of the game . To be avoided if possible . And selfish to complain about the possible loss of points that you didn't have to begin with . Even forfeiters don't like it or even want to do it . 

Here is a different perspective for you to consider 

pdb1:

III we we we you you you them them them . 

What I am about to say is a completely different perspective altogether . One I find very easy to live with . 

I don't know if there really is a label or stereo type for one who quits the round . WGT didn't have to be geniuses to include the option to forfeit in the game from the very beginning . It is nice that since they knew that it would be very likely that many and I mean many instances that would require that one exit the round . They provide a definitive and proper and acceptable way to exit . Maybe even polite . 

There isn't any argument that exiting or leaving or quitting is wrong or shouldn't be done . Or that the forfeit button even has to be used . Or that it is any of your business why one left . Or that any explanation is needed at all . Whether the forfeit button is used or they type that they intend to leave . Are only minute technicalities . 

The fact is that there are millions of valid reasons to exit a game . Personal , non personal , work , medical , mental , family , toxic , spousal , for the helluvit , comical , tragedy , emergency , child related . no reason at all . I could go on forever . 

And none of it is any of your business . And you have no argument to complain . This is just a game . And only a game . WGT knows this and put the forfeit feature in as a normal feature  . IT'S IN THE GAME . 

Paul 

Ha! ha! ha!.......it's obvious that it has had an effect on you Paul, enough to make you sit there & write such a long opinion, & that's all it is an opinion, same as mine was, my opinion it happens too much, especially when you start with 4 & end up before hole 5 standing ing the middle of the Fairway to continue by yourself, I don't ask for any reason as to why they quit as it's not that hard to see that they have left because of a couple of bad shots, most others do let you know that they are leaving because of various reason's ie. Phone Call, Work is calling, Family Emergency Etc.

Happy cruzin

Steve

• Blue588
    273 Posts
    Fri, Oct 20 2017 5:58 AM

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 1:49 AM
    It's probably not going to change at this point. Best learn to live with it, or only play against friends. Never use a CC pass for these matches if you value you them.
  • DancesLikeEagles
    33 Posts
    Sun, Sep 2 2018 12:25 AM

Read the thread and have a few thoughts. Nothing original I'm sure.

I don't buy the "I had an emergency" excuse.  It all too often occurs after that double bogey or second shot in a trap or that +3 on the 8th hole which is going to increase their average.

And not forfeiting when quitting is really the d*ck move. Just like the ridiculous message "you're so far behind, do you want to withdraw", they could give non-forfeiters the message "seems you want to quit but can't find the forfeit button". At least cut out a minute of wasted time for those waiting around for the inevitable.

And those using 80 seconds of your 90 every time it's your shot, give us all a break and play single games. We are trying to have lives beyond WGT.

And yes, it is less risky to play your friends but how often have your friends not been available and or not willing to play. I only play stroke games with my pass so that even if everyone quits, I'll still be able to finish. Losing your pass because one person quits an alt game is not the end of the world but sure can be irritating.

I'd give WGT the shadow of a doubt with the manner in which they assign the yellow and orange markers.  Perhaps there are exceptions.  But in my experience, I've found that yellows and oranges are far more likely to quit early and regrettably now I avoid oranges completely.  

A possible solution: Oranges can only play oranges...complete (x-number) games and you move up to yellow.  Yellows can only play yellows...complete (x-number) games and you move up to green. Not perfect but provides and way of moving up for those who want it. And yes, the exceptions would occur but hopefully less often.

My two cents.

RSS