Forums

Help › Forums

Harsher Punishment for Forfeits

Sun, Sep 2 2018 12:25 AM (48 replies)
  • rymipry
    4 Posts
    Fri, Jan 13 2017 7:00 PM

Good day,

Within the last week I have played too many players that chose to quit. I recently had a great round with a fellow, good conversation, and on the last hole on the final putt he misses, he forfeits. There have been plenty of rounds where one bad shot will send some fool into forfeiting as well, this is silly. For one, comebacks are always possible and make both virtual and real time gaming enjoyable. And second, it feels good to earn your loss. It means more practice time and is a good opportunity to try shots you might have not. 

Maybe have a forfeit count next to your score? Double the entry fee for online play if forfeited? 

~Thanks

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Jan 13 2017 11:27 PM

This problem gets posted almost daily.  Sadly it's not going to go away, or have WGT penalize people for forfeiting.  Best advice is to only play this type of game with your friends or people you know.  Or accept that some will bail out.

• rymipry
    4 Posts
    Sat, Jan 14 2017 10:31 AM

Is there a good reason there will be no extra incentive to finish a game? What about a friendly campaign that encourages sportsmanship and to complete games you start? If a negative repercussion is off the table, maybe add a positive incentive? I think having forfeits in a players statistics would have some noticeable effect. 

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Jan 15 2017 1:58 AM

rymipry:

I think having forfeits in a players statistics would have some noticeable effect. 

WGT already shows a "completion average" for players.  If this is such an issue, only play games with those that have a "good" rating.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Jan 15 2017 11:58 AM

I do understand the frustrations of the OP - I recall too many instances in the lower tiers of people just quitting.

Some people are simply bad losers, the hit one rank shot and they X out. Others want to "protect" their average (equally as lame IMO). Others are gamers, not golfers....where X'ing out seems acceptable.

As pointed out, completion rates can be seen in the game lobby - as a rule I will boot any random that is not in the "green'.

Your best bet is to add friends who do not quit and you get on well with. Country Club members are also another area where seldom will a fellow CC member quit a game - if they do without valid cause, I remove then and would report to the owner.

WGT will not punish their players - even quitters add to the coffers as a rule. I like the add a positive incentive, but I am not sure what could be added without players exploiting it (ie - if double XP were awarded if a quitter was involved, players would deliberately quit so their mate could level up faster).

• Dangeris
    27 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2017 11:22 PM

A great thing would be to spend the collected XPs of the quitter to the remaining players :D

• pvcerod
    92 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 4:49 AM

Why can't WGT put a System in place that punishes the quitters, Quit 3 times within a week, you are out for a week, if you are a repeat offender after you return, then the next time you are out for a month, then if you repeat again after returning, then you are out for 3 months......I'm sure they will get the message.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 4:57 AM

Which business would punish their customers NOT to spend their money in their premises?

They aren't umpires to watch over fair play - they are capitalists after all!

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 10:15 AM

pvcerod:
    Why can't WGT put a System in place that punishes the quitters, Quit 3 times within a week, you are out for a week, if you are a repeat offender after you return, then the next time you are out for a month, then if you repeat again after returning, then you are out for 3 months......I'm sure they will get the message.

I don't think WGT can distinguish between those who deliberately quit and those who fail to complete a game because of technical issues. I'm sure all the players who get kicked from a game and end up unintentionally forfeiting would howl at the moon about your idea. 

• blockup46
    482 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 11:10 AM

wgt could at least stop the ,do you want to quit sign from poping up in games,that does not help either.seems like they encourage it.

RSS