Forums

Help › Forums

When will Tour Champion tier be populated ?

Thu, Apr 6 2017 2:50 AM (41 replies)
  • MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 1:00 PM

birchi:
    the current state of the tour legend tier is nothing but a bad joke. same payout as the champion tier in the weekly, monthly tournaments with not even a tenth of the skill level.

I'd like to know which TLs and Cs you're playing.  I'd say without question that the best of the champs are better than the best of the tour legends, but I'd argue that the average TL is better than the average champ.  Usually when I match against a TL I get a decent match.  There are many that I'm simply better than by every conceivable measure.  However, I've played some champs that I've just plain put a down-home ass whipping on (4 and 3, 5 and 3, 5 and 4).

Sounds to me like you're not playing the better TLs.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 1:17 PM

If the Tour Champion tier exceeds 20 players(15 in my opinion), it is just another tier like what we have now....if a player is a Major/U S Open/ or multiple tour winner he deserves a look, anything else makes it another Champions tier IMO!

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 1:49 PM

fatdan:
    If the Tour Champion tier exceeds 20 players(15 in my opinion), it is just another tier like what we have now...

While the whole discussion on the topic of this thread is moot (no signs to see that "population" will ever happen), this opinion is outragingly wrong IMHO:

A tier at least needs enough parties to fill it's tiered RGs in a resonable time - it may be 2x, 3x, 10x 50 players.

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 1:57 PM

alcaucin:

So......that means you are 10x more skillful at this game than I ??

I'm pretty sure you know that's not what I mean. Obviously not every random champion player is 10x better than any given TL.

I was talking in general terms: Due to the fact that only 200 rounds are needed to saturate your average most excellent players (with exceptions of course, yourself included) push through that tier pretty quickly and become champions shortly after leaving the legend tier.

That just makes tournaments like the Virtual Tour much less competitive in the TL tier. As a random example I choose the latest Pebble Beach Championship: I played a 114 there which would have been the best score in the TL, but was only good enough for T17 in my tier. In total only 174 players participated in the tournament (with only 98 finishing both rounds), the numbers in the champion tier are much higher here. So there are less players with much lower skill (on average! in case you want to continue to willfully misunderstand me ;) ) Still the payout is the same.

So for that reason I think the better option would be to have all the 'normal' champions (so everyone who is not earning 500+ credit per month on a regular basis) and the tour legends in one tier and continue calling it champion tier or whatever.

MichaelStroke:

I'd like to know which TLs and Cs you're playing.  I'd say without question that the best of the champs are better than the best of the tour legends, but I'd argue that the average TL is better than the average champ.  Usually when I match against a TL I get a decent match.  There are many that I'm simply better than by every conceivable measure.  However, I've played some champs that I've just plain put a down-home ass whipping on (4 and 3, 5 and 3, 5 and 4).

Sounds to me like you're not playing the better TLs.

Tbh, I hardly play any multiplayer games at all. As mentioned above my argument is largely based on the situation in the credit tournaments (maybe a bit of an 'elitist' one since only a minority of all players cares about that stuff)

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 1:58 PM

alosso:
    A tier at least needs enough parties to fill it's tiered RGs in a resonable time - it may be 2x, 3x, 10x 50 players.

There are no tiered Champion RG's, I think the top tier is expected to play in the open ones.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 2:46 PM

The "original concept" of the tier as proposed by WGT was to give recognition to the few who have gone above and beyond in accomplishing things that few have, or ever will....not fill f'n RG's LMAO

I can think of 9...I'm sure there is a few more!.

Like I said, anything other than that is just another tier that will mean little or nothing...

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 3:08 PM

why not make it a rotating thing based upon annual earnings. Initially, take the top 100 in annual earnings and make them TCs. 

Give a perk to TC of allowing them to convert credits to cash. 

Relagation could also occur. Only allow the top 50 each year o remain as a TC

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 5:43 PM

777999:

The suggestion to base selection on career earnings is not a good idea, simply because many do not wish to play in pay tournaments. Not sure what the solution is, but spending $$ to play in tourneys is not my idea of a good drafting point!

Phil

Then you shouldn't get to Tour Champion!! If you're not willing to put down money to play for credits and aren't good enough to win credits then you should be happy to remain a champion or less for just the enjoyment of the game. Tour Champion has been talked up to be and should be for the elite level of player on wgt.

Basing on average would just make it another champion tier with fake red tee tour champions

derekortt:

why not make it a rotating thing based upon annual earnings. Initially, take the top 100 in annual earnings and make them TCs. 

Give a perk to TC of allowing them to convert credits to cash. 

Relagation could also occur. Only allow the top 50 each year o remain as a TC

I doubt wgt would ever give that even a chance. Good idea though

fatdan:

The "original concept" of the tier as proposed by WGT was to give recognition to the few who have gone above and beyond in accomplishing things that few have, or ever will....not fill f'n RG's LMAO

I can think of 9...I'm sure there is a few more!.

Like I said, anything other than that is just another tier that will mean little or nothing...

That original idea has changed from what I can recollect. And I don't think it was ever specifically going to be that small of a group honestly. It was always a pretty vague explanation. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember Icon saying they hadn't gone to TC yet because there were not enough players eligible... meaning that in fact there is a plan to fill rgs or virtual tour with tour champions

I'm just hoping to get another tier in the hope that they increase greens to 14 stimp for competitive mpc, alt shots and skins games etc. I don't really care about the prestige of it

birchi:

the remaining champions and the tour legend players should be integrated in the same tier, whatever you may want to call it then. this way wgt doesnt have to pay more in tournament winnings. the current state of the tour legend tier is nothing but a bad joke. same payout as the champion tier in the weekly, monthly tournaments with not even a tenth of the skill level.

I think that TL and C should be combined as well if there were to be an elite tier as I depicted in previous posts. I don't agree that they have a tenth of the skill but I also don't think they should have same purse as the top tier. That's counter intuitive

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 10:16 PM

DodgyPutter:

alosso:

There are no tiered Champion RG's, I think the top tier is expected to play in the open ones.

That may be a sign that the C tier ain't big enough yet... or that the company spares itself the trouble to care about such RGs(?)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Apr 4 2017 11:31 PM

AgentBrown123:

777999:

The suggestion to base selection on career earnings is not a good idea, simply because many do not wish to play in pay tournaments. Not sure what the solution is, but spending $ to play in tourneys is not my idea of a good drafting point!

Phil

Then you shouldn't get to Tour Champion!! If you're not willing to put down money to play for credits and aren't good enough to win credits then you should be happy to remain a champion or less for just the enjoyment of the game.

Oooh AB..I thought you'd stopped all the typing without thinking ;-)

1st off..members with 5000+ earnings DON'T 'put down $$ to play.

2nd...don't mistake lack of earnings with the ability / skill to accrue them.

Andy

Edit: Tho I do agree $5000+ earnings is a good number to qualify for TC

RSS