Help › Forums

Forfeiting Players

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 9 2017 10:10 AM (23 replies)
  • petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 9:13 AM

Hookm65:

Thanks Peter.  Do you still play all the courses (randomly) or does the CC stick you to one course?

Hey Hook

I play every course - some more than others for some reason.

I have a great friend list, I'm in a superb CC and I end up playing loads of alt shot and matchplay games - apart from the CC tournaments.

No CC, as far as I'm aware, will restrict you to 1 course.

Do some research, find a good CC you are comfortable with (look at activity levels of the members!), make friends with the members of the CC and ALWAYS ask how to improve.

I have found that the questions I have asked have been answered (and helped me!) by 99.9% of the club membership.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Peter

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 1:28 PM

Robbo, of course it is conjecture, which is based on my own experiences, Of course I, nor anyone has the statistical analysis you want. That simply is not available. Even a poll of the forums would be too small a sample.....only those who quit for whatever reason know the real reason.

In the past I would happily play with random players, and often quip when I hit a bad shot.... gee.....that was an inside out swing......to get a retort WHAT?....They would hit a bad shot and x out.....probably a gamer....not a golfer.

One thing that is a fact, I have never seen a club golfer walk off a course after hitting a bad shot.......and golf etiquette prevails. And I have played a LOT of golf in my time.....probably why I have played less rounds than yourself. I play this game when I want to, not by an addiction or compulsion to continue consecutive days.

Gaming etiquette perhaps is different and a combination of the two could skew the result. Yes some golfers may quit to protect a false average or to stroke their ego....some may even quit to save ball use if they have no chance of winning.....but as you say, that is conjecture....but again based on my experiences playing this game.

The forums are for discussing, expressing views, offering advice and tips and they are solely the opinions of the posters. It is then up to readers of those posts to formulate their own opinion based on the information to hand, WGT/TG has never offered any statistics, and never will.

Thus, why would I offer an apology to anyone.....it is a democratic right to express ones views, just as it is yours to disagree with that viewpoint.

• Robbo81303
    411 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 6:53 PM

alanti:
    Robbo, of course it is conjecture, which is based on my own experiences, Of course I, nor anyone has the statistical analysis you want.

I never asked for any statistical analysis.  I merely said your statements regarding gamers and golfers have no factual bases.

alanti:
    The forums are for discussing, expressing views, offering advice and tips and they are solely the opinions of the posters. It is then up to readers of those posts to formulate their own opinion based on the information to hand,

This is very true.  What it isn't, however, is a medium for defaming a large group of people based on conjecture (at least as I understand the posting guidelines - perhaps a mod can clarify)  I frankly am a little sick of this whole golfer vs gamer nonsense.  Yes, i know you were attempting to help the OP.  I'm sure it could have been done using statements that were, to say the least, a bit less inflammatory.  yet you chose not to do so.

Alas it appears this may be a habit...

alanti:
    .....probably why I have played less rounds than yourself. I play this game when I want to, not by an addiction or compulsion to continue consecutive days.

Another dig, clearly out of left field, with not a shred of basis in reality.  And, even if it were true, so what?  No harm comes from it.  I seem to remember it being very important to you until you decided it wasn't.

• Robbo81303
    411 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 7:24 PM

Post Deleted.

Apology accepted Peter, you were defending a friend, all good.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 9:16 PM

Robbo81303:
    I never asked for any statistical analysis.  I merely said your statements regarding gamers and golfers have no factual bases.

The only way to prove or disprove would be based on statistics, which neither of us can provide, As I said however, it is based on MY experience. Your experiences may be different. 

By the same token for an analogy, based on my experience, golfers who are drunk whilst driving probably do not play as well as a sober golfer......but I have no statistics to prove that.

Robbo81303:
    is a medium for defaming a large group of people based on conjecture

Nonsense and unless you have a vivid imagination, you would not have a snowballs chance in hell of winning a defamation case in a court of law based on your theory.

For the record I have no issue whatsoever with gamers as each contributes to the game equally. What I do not like (as I am a golfer first) is a lack of knowledge of the real game and the inconsistencies that are somewhat replicated on here. Golf if not an exact science yet many without knowledge of the game complain about this.

On the subject of helping players, I have helped many players over the years, both in time, advice and even gifting. Conversely I will mock people who complain without due cause......golfers and gamers, they are cut from the same cloth. 

Robbo81303:
    Another dig, clearly out of left field, with not a shred of basis in reality

This was not a dig at you at all, I was merely stating I am not addicted to this game and I enjoy playing the real game as well. This was not a slight at you, although this seems to have been perceived.

Put simply, I do not care if you (or anyone) spend 15 minutes playing a day or 15 hours - that is the individuals choice and they are free to do so. In fact those playing 15 hours should be commended as they contribute more to the company (I would say development of the game, but most likely to the profits) as without revenue, the game would die.....and all of us like it, gamers and golfers.

Robbo81303:
    Alan clearly has issues with most gamers.

Rather assumptive at best, but as I have said, your views are worth exactly the same as mine,

Edit: in respect to the OP, I will bow out of the thread as it has become so far off topic. The key t the OP is to be an active member of a good CC and form friendships with players who will not quit - be it gamers or golfers :)

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Wed, Jan 25 2017 10:44 AM

Robbo81303:

Post Deleted.

Apology accepted Peter, you were defending a friend, all good.

Thanks Rob

I suspect we were talking past each other. I was wanting to defend a friend and you were wanting to make a point.

Glad you accepted my friend request and hope we get to play soon.

Thanks for your understanding.

Cheers,

Peter

• Hookm65
    4 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2017 1:32 PM

Thanks Peter.  One more question if you will.  When you look at potential CC's on the app, it lists a "Level" (looks like from 1-6 maybe).  What does that mean or refer to?  I want to make sure I understand the criteria upon which I will be choosing a club.

Thanks again.

FYI: Update on "quitters."  Today (with 20 minutes of each other) I had not one but two players forfeit while I was in the backswing for my final putt.  ARRGGG!

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2017 10:08 PM

Hookm65:
    When you look at potential CC's on the app, it lists a "Level" (looks like from 1-6 maybe).

CC Levels go up to 19 but have no significant importance from L11 on, IMHO.

As a CC member, you get CC passes (free and purchase) to transfer your own XPs from a game to your CC. WIth more XPs, the CC level rises.

At each level, benefits are released for the CC and for the members, but most of them have no commercial value, like number of parallel CC tournaments (20 to 30) or number of member slots (up to 250). The only benefits worth any credits are free Putter and Shot Pals, at L2 and L4, respectively.

When looking for a CC, the level shouldn't be too important IMHO.

More important is overall activity and - related - number of members. For that, look at the CC activity - members should be named for levelling and tiering up. It might also be good to find active players (*) in your own tier and above, from the list.

(*) Indication of Last Day Played in the member list

Most important is the activity of the owner, as he has some exclusive powers necessary for a functional CC. I may be good to address him at his wall to check his reactions and maybe ask some questions before applying in vain.

• Hookm65
    4 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2017 10:43 PM

Thanks Alosso.  Very helpful.  I am getting increasingly frustrated with forfeits.  I had about 10 today, many on the last putt.  Even more frustrating is how many of them were higher level players -- who should know better.  I had 6 today that were TourPro or Master and between levels 83-92.

BTW, how does a player at level 92 not bump up to Master?  Folks who play really well with lots of experience but getting 30-70 yd advantage off the tee.  For some, it seems the obvious answer is they haven't upgraded equipment, and that's fair.  If their equipment isn't as good, I'm okay with the extra yards.  But when you have a Level 92 TP with really good equipment, it's a little annoying.  But I mostly play against myself and "the course," trying to improve my scores and strategies for particular courses and holes -- and try to have fun.  So it doesn't bother me much -- just curious how that works.

RSS