Forums

Help › Forums

Forfeiting Players

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 9 2017 10:10 AM (23 replies)
  • BigDaddyDuffer0
    101 Posts
    Sun, Jan 1 2017 10:45 AM

I need to vent about players who forfeit after having a bad hole. I have never forfeited a game and I never will unless I have something that pulls me away from my phone while playing.

I have it happen about a third of the time in my head to head matches.  It is just as annoying when they pull out after having a bad first hole as it is quitting after the final hole.  I lose all of my experience points and I don't get to finish a round, after having invested time for it.  Yes, I get the coins, but that's not the point.

My New Year wish is for all players to "Play it Out."  After all, we are all human and we all have bad holes.  I encourage players to hang in there after having a bad hole, letting them know that I can blow up a hole just as easily.  Trust me, I do it often. 

Let's all play and have fun!!!
    Happy New Year,

BigDaddyDuffer0

aka, Brian

• Hookm65
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 9:05 AM

Quitters are my biggest complaint about this app. It's selfish and inconsiderate -- in other words very much against the spirit of the game of golf.

Last night I played two 9-hole head-to-head matches that showed the contrast of of class and trash.

The first game, the person I was playing was having a really tough go of it -- probably one of those off nights when the thumb just ain't working.  Anyway, he ended up +18 and 20 strokes behind me and he never quit.

Second game was a real pisser.  It was a great nip-and-tuck match dead even going to the 8th hole.  I birdied to take a one stroke lead into the last.  We both hit good approach shots on the Par 4 9th, but mine was a bit closer.  He pushed his birdie attempt and was left with a gimme tap-in (.7 feet).  As I was lining up my birdie putt, he withdrew.  If I had made the birdie it would have been my best score on that course.  We played 30-35 minutes of fun and challenging golf and he freaking quits like a chump with one putt to go.  He probably gives 3.2 beer to his guests too.

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 10:08 AM

Hook,

(damn fine fish by the way)

you need to join a good CC.

There are many of them here - just look in the Country Clubs forum, do a bit of research and sign up.

You won't ever regret it and never have to play random twits again

• Hookm65
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 3:42 PM

Thanks Peter.  Do you still play all the courses (randomly) or does the CC stick you to one course?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 5:45 PM

Hookm65:

Thanks Peter.  Do you still play all the courses (randomly) or does the CC stick you to one course?

Being in a CC does not confine what you do, when or how you play.....but a good CC that has an active membership will play with each other and you will form friendships. And you will meet those fellow members friends thus increasing your potential friend base further(sounds a little like Amway!).

Quitters are usually gamers not golfers and are more abundant in the lower tiers, and any decent CC worth its salt will not tolerate quitters.

• Robbo81303
    410 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 6:04 PM

alanti:
    Quitters are usually gamers not golfers

Based on..........?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 8:27 PM

Robbo81303:

alanti:

Based on..........?

My experience playing this game. Gamers often expect to clock a game in 2 weeks and get so frustrated that this game has intricacies that require mastering, not to dissimilar to the real game. Thus the longevity of real golfers probably outlast the gamers....unless they of course persist and work out the game or somehow manage to do well.

For this reason, many gamers are also the most vehement complainers when their meticulous calculations fail....whereas real golfers can at least understand math does lie in real golf.....

How many real golfers just walk off a golf course, but gamers often find this acceptable....but as I said, usually, not always.

Of course I cannot provide statistical analysis and is purely based on my conversations with players and my experiences. 

• Robbo81303
    410 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 7:23 AM

alanti:

Robbo81303:

alanti:

Based on..........?

My experience playing this game. Gamers often expect to clock a game in 2 weeks and get so frustrated that this game has intricacies that require mastering, not to dissimilar to the real game. Thus the longevity of real golfers probably outlast the gamers....unless they of course persist and work out the game or somehow manage to do well.

For this reason, many gamers are also the most vehement complainers when their meticulous calculations fail....whereas real golfers can at least understand math does lie in real golf.....

How many real golfers just walk off a golf course, but gamers often find this acceptable....but as I said, usually, not always.

Of course I cannot provide statistical analysis and is purely based on my conversations with players and my experiences. 

As I suspected.

Your statement is based solely on conjecture.  There's not one fact stated here.  Moreover, its conjecture from a clearly prejudicial point of view.

My experience tells me that in life prejudiced folks tend to base their opinions on their ideals rather than employing any sound reasoning.  No reason to believe golf or WGT are any different.

If 'conversations with players and my own experiences' are the bases for forming valid opinions, then i believe you owe apologies to hundreds, if not thousands, of WGT players.

My experience has told me the vast majority of both golfers and gamers rarely quit.  Its more a function of a particular player's disposition that would indicate whether they would finish a round or not.

Lately the most ornery complainers I've met have all been golfers.  But what do I know.  I've only played three times the number of rounds here as you.

• StrikeHarrier
    263 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 8:20 AM

I've been disconnected by WGT disconnections or my own internet failures but i never give up on purpose that's just bad sportsmanship quiting ..My scores aren't great but u learn from mistakes eventually perseverance is the key try something if it didn't work find out way or hit the shot a different way until u get it right .. my average in October-Nov  last yr was 96 since i upgraded my equipment it's dropped to 75.48  

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 9:05 AM

Post deleted because I was being a dork.

Robbo, I apologise if I offended you.

RSS