Forums

Help › Forums

wow i just got dropped back to pro

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:58 PM (35 replies)
  • southsideduc
    22 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 8:09 AM

Can someone explain to me why I should care what tier anyone else is playing?  I see people getting all worked up about master tier crowding and worrying about this person and that person sandbagging.  Why? What am I missing here?

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 8:22 AM

1. Sandbagging:  As far as WGT is concerned, are people who intentionally raise their average to prevent being promoted to a higher tier.  These are people that can play much lower than their rated average (used to determine tier placement) and can easily outperform any individuals that truly belong in that tier in order to win tournaments with prizes.

2. Master Tier Overpopulation:  Many folks here were/are disgruntled with just how easy it was to end up in the master tier and competing with all the top players when they didn't feel that they were 'good' enough to be there.  As of the 18th of August the requirements have changed/gotten harder according to WGTAlex, though no one knows the requirements. (I like to think it's to deter sandbagging)  In the past (and likely is still happening) this has caused many individuals to abandon their first account and open a second, third or fourth account with the sole purpose of.... you guessed it... sandbagging!  But for the honest golfer who would like to try to compete for some of the prizes, the "unjust" move to the master tier can be somewhat discouraging.

There it is in a nutshell.... Hope I could clear it up for you.

Lee

• lkennedy
    194 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 9:02 AM

Have to chime in with a few thoughts here;

First, I enjoy this game, as evidenced by over 700 rounds played (and a girlfriend who wants to perform an intervention).  I work at night, so play afterwards (usually by myself).  I have my favorites, so, naturally, will be (hopefully) better at those.  I am proud of, and enjoy the status and challange of "master", however, I don't belong on the same page as the Tibbets' and Avatars' of the tier.  If you check my profile, I've never shot under 31 for 9, or 63 for 18.  I will NEVER shoot 15 under (55 in Int'l tourny) but will keep trying.  To me, those players are the Green Berets, while I'm just a grunt.

Am not a mathematician, but don't understand how my stroke average can change so drastically because of one single round (9 or 18).  After 700 rounds my average can be affected by a bad round by as much as two strokes, but after a good round only a couple decimal points.  Maybe it just seems that way.  Am not sure how they do it on the PGA tour, so may be my ignorance.

Secondly, I'm sorry to clutter up your elite tier there, Mr. Tibbs, but it was thrust upon me and I'm trying to make the best of it.  I also hope to stay here in Masterland.  It was far easier in Pro (some of my best friends are Pros), but am not gonna sandbag to return.  You, my friend, are the one who will have to move on if  there are too many kids in the sandbox for your liking.  I know that isn't an option for you currently, but hopefully will be in the near future.  I personally would like to see more tiers divided by 3-5 stroke increments, calculated by more than just the last 14 posted rounds.

There.   I feel better now...

• lkennedy
    194 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 9:08 AM

My apologies to Tibbets.  Sincerely.  I just re-read the posts and find that you were actually trying go defend players such as myself who don't belong but nevertheless try to compete.  Please accept this apology for a hasty post.

• southsideduc
    22 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 9:37 AM

AL, thanks for the info. I confess I don't understand the "status" aspect of being in the master tier, but to each his own.  Still, when it comes to tourneys, it gets down to who shoots the best score and from that aspect it doesn't really matter how many are in the master tier.   As far as sandbagging, I don't see anyway to prove that someone is sandbagging vs. just getting some lucky rounds. 

It seems contradictory, too many masters but at the same time people trying to avoid the master tier.  I think it's time to withdraw from my attempt to understand the growing politics of WGT and just play.

• russdud
    7 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 12:32 PM

you all make it sound like you need skill its just luck nothing like the real game ,this is like playing on the slots

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 1:23 PM

Russdud

Based on your theory Avatar Lee and Tibbets must be the luckiest men alive.  Scratch that, add Nivlac, thunderbird,  ncviz and and a few others that win or place in the top 10 of every tournament.

Get over it bud, there is skill involved here and there are several elite players that win all the time because they are the best.  Don't downgrade their skills to luck just because you cannot compete with them.

• cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2009 5:41 PM

I'll chime in on this. I got promoted to Master a couple of weeks ago, based on a couple of tournament rounds that were fantastic and not my norm.  It would have been nice to spend a little more time as a Pro and have a chance to really compete for a win, but that said i am loving the challenge at the Master level.  I'm not ready to shoot in the 20's for nine or the 50's for 18, but I can already post a tournament round that gives me a shot at the prize money.  Not too bad.  And the BIG plus - being able to buy the Master driver!  I can now reach every par 4 on BPP in two except 15 (and could do that if I upgraded my 3 wood) and a couple of the par 5's on Kaiwai in 2.  When I learn how to consistently drop some of those crucial 4-10 foot birdie putts with break, I am a serious contender in the Master tourneys.

Which brings me to my real point - isn't that just like the real tour?  The only thing that separates the Top 10 money winners from the journeymen (me, in other words), is consistently hitting a couple more fairways, a more accurate short game, and the putter. Take the challenge fellas, a little less whining and a lot more practice and you too will see some nice paychecks as a Master.  At then end of the day, don't you want to rank with the best, and not the best of the rest?

• pigkiller
    173 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 3:00 AM

hi iv been in th master teir now for a couple weeks now and doin well   (im lovein it) 

• shtebs
    38 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 6:05 AM

I find that the more I play and practice, the "luckier" I get. I would guess its the same for the likes of Tibbetts, Avatarlee, Thunderbird, et al.  I'd love to play a round with any of them just to watch how they tame the holes which regularly vex me.

RSS