Forums

Help › Forums

3w and Hybrid specs

Mon, Sep 26 2016 6:51 PM (38 replies)
  • miamikid305
    9 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 12:01 AM

Ditch the wood get 1 extra wedge. And 1 hybrid.  Driver, hybrid, high tragectory irons, 3 evenly spaced high trajectory wedges. Solid putter. Low scores. Your welcome

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 1:58 AM

PaulTon:

I thought it was the amount of power you use was what decided the distance between those lines. 100% being when they are closest together?

Just guessing though, when playing I don't think about them or notice them much. They have no effect on my decision making for a shot.

With the putter it is how long you hold the swing that determines how much the forgiveness bar closes.Hold it very long and shrinks to it is very small

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 1:58 AM

PaulTon:

I thought it was the amount of power you use was what decided the distance between those lines. 100% being when they are closest together?

Just guessing though, when playing I don't think about them or notice them much. They have no effect on my decision making for a shot.

With the putter it is how long you hold the swing that determines how much the forgiveness bar closes.Hold it very long and shrinks to it is very small

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 3:04 AM

miamikid305:

Ditch the wood get 1 extra wedge. And 1 hybrid.  Driver, hybrid, high tragectory irons, 3 evenly spaced high trajectory wedges. Solid putter. Low scores. Your welcome

You have been on here 8 years and are still a middling Tour Pro?  Kudos for your bravado on providing advice vis-a-vis this topic.

Hybrid (not the 3 wood) is usually the recommended club to ditch in favor of a wedge.

Your equipment is mostly low end. You may do well to follow your own advice and finally move off the kids' tees.

.. "you're" welcome.:)

• JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 9:33 AM

ct690911:

miamikid305:

You have been on here 8 years and are still a middling Tour Pro?  Kudos for your bravado on providing advice vis-a-vis this topic.

Hybrid (not the 3 wood) is usually the recommended club to ditch in favor of a wedge.

Your equipment is mostly low end. You may do well to follow your own advice and finally move off the kids' tees.

.. "you're" welcome.:)

Not quite sure why an 8 year member chose a two month old post to respond to in his one of four forum posts to offer bad advice. But since I posted my question I have learned the answer through experience. Here is what I discovered:

The mobile app and PC browser games are entirely different animals. Especially the way the meter works.

The Adams hybrid is a great club, but almost useless when you get to longer tees at Master. I think I used it a few weeks before retiring it in favor of a third wedge  

By virtue of what they are, woods seem to have more compressed meters. Meter speed balls help some, but woods are harder to hit and I'll defer to an iron unless I need the distance. An 80 yard approach shot is a lot easier than a 30 yard pitch from deep rough. 

The Callaway X2 Hot 3W is likely the best choice, at least until I get to higher levels. 240 yards it's rated at is conservative with a well hit shot. 

And finally, experience will get you a lot farther than another club. Except maybe a longer driver when you reach higher tiers. I have some great clubs that I've gotten from playing videos for free credits. If I had actually paid for them it would have been a lot of wasted money. 

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 3:21 PM

ct690911:

Thats usually coz of the distances from legend tees and the distance of high level irons make hybrids irrelevant.

Not the same story at lower levels. I'd say u can easily do away with both from TM and below tees. If you really want a longer club than ur 3i (if it only is 205/210) then 225yd 3H would definately be my choice(provided budget isnt an issue).

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:04 PM

Vaibhav5viv:

ct690911:

Thats usually coz of the distances from legend tees and the distance of high level irons make hybrids irrelevant.

Not the same story at lower levels. I'd say u can easily do away with both from TM and below tees. If you really want a longer club than ur 3i (if it only is 205/210) then 225yd 3H would definately be my choice(provided budget isnt an issue).

valid point. 

That said, because better equipment is available based on level and not tier, those who purchase a hybrid should remember that it will be of little use (with decent irons) when they start hitting from the tips. In the case of someone who is still a Tour Pro after 8 years, this will probably never be an issue. It just struck me odd that he so boldly asserted the equipment requirements. He certainly has the right to opine; not so sure about the credibility.

For those who aspire to move off the red tees, a 3 wood and 3 wedges is the way to go.

ct

• miamikid305
    9 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 8:56 PM

While you guys are allowed to state your opinions and I'll take them respectfully I just want to clarify some things that seem to have you so dumbfounded. 8 yrs I have been a member yes. That is true. But I just started playing again months ago. I am 26 And in a month I'll be 27. I  was around late 17 early 18 when I really got in to WGT.  I HAD a computer back then (Thanks mom and dad). But then things like a combination of work full time medical, school full time medical and the news of my first daughter  (at late 17 early 18) kind of distracted me from the game I had grown to love. I moved on my own (literally a backpack) and never had the luxury of a computer again until about 1 to 2 years ago. (3 kids later, a career change for the better of my family, 2 dogs, and moving about 7 to 8 times I found myself here with the mobile app available now!) Mind you, even if I didn't play I  always went on quickly to check if it had come to the phone yet because I knew from back then one day it would be available for me on a phone. So, just to be clear  I was a tour pro when I stopped playing years ago. I literally had to relearn almost everything. But I've been able to work my way down close to master. I'm closing in on it and my scores have been awesome. Now that I'm a man with a family and the funds because of my great job I decided to invest in some really good clubs and that's exactly what i did. I didn't spend a fortune (not wanting to splurge and save for other things in my life) but enough to get my competitive edge back. I found my club set to be beneficial to ME. NOT YOU GUYS. I simply stated what I recommended to get the edge back. I'm on my phone 99 percent of the time due to being on call. So that's where I play. My clubs work. look at my scores. Most of them have been a HUGE difference from what I was playing when I started again. I'm on that leaning curve right now and will continue to be as I inch toward master. Now that we all understand I'm wishing YOU ALL the best. And hope to show you the technique one day on the greens! Stay humble my friends from miami, 

Armando 

• JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 10:27 PM

My only observations were that you had 4 forum posts in 8 years. So either not on the forums or not in the game for those 8 years. The post you replied to was almost 2 months old. And no matter where you stand, a hybrid is really a limited use club. 

And a news flash. Scores in the 40's for 9 holes is not awesome. You ain't gonna hit Master with them. But one thing is true. To each his own. The best clubs are the ones that work for you. That hasn't changed in 8 years. Legend players can whup my butt with a starter putter and balls. I check the choices of my opponents in games. If they're rolling 600 credit max meter vapor balls I don't worry. It's the ones with starter balls or carefully chosen Nikes that are a challenge. 

RSS