Forums

Help › Forums

3w and Hybrid specs

Mon, Sep 26 2016 6:51 PM (38 replies)
  • JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Thu, Jul 28 2016 6:14 PM

I bought a Nike Vapor 3w untried since it had good specs and I love my Vapor driver. Big mistake! When hitting a full hit the marks outside the ding line compress excessively (I don't know how better to express what happens. But drastic hooking or fading is ore likely than any other club I've used. 

Just leveled up to 63 and got a free trial of an Adams Tight Lies hybrid. Other than being 10 yards shorter (225 vs. 235), the specs are identical. But the amount those lines on the meter compress are significantly less, and it much easier to hit for me as I'm not great at catching 'dings' too often.

so, is there any way to compare clubs to see how much leeway shots have, since it's not shown in the specs?

Im considering breaking down and buying the Adams hybrid, since I rarely go to the Vapor 3w because it's so hard to hit. And now I have a 277 yd. driver, so those extra 10 yards between the Vapor and Adams is less significant. 

Everybody is always saying to use what I've got until I hit Master or Legend. But I may be an old man by then. And hopefully I'll be able to accumulate enough credit for the other upgrades I want at higher levels. Like Cleveland wedges at L74, and Versa putter at L70. Or the better Adams hybrid at L88  

And recently the free credits for watching videos has slowed to a trickle. 

Any advice?

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2016 11:32 AM

Actually, most legends ditch the hybrid for a 3rd wedge. The higher level irons make a hybrid somewhat redundant.

I use the level 86 Nike 3w and it is an excellent club. 

As far as being an "old man", you joined in April and are already a level 63, so really good equipment is in the near offing I should think.

Finally, there is some sense to using OK kit until your game is strong enough to make better use of the good clubs and balls. The only way to do this is practice.

ct

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2016 11:41 AM

JasCooper:
    When hitting a full hit the marks outside the ding line compress excessively (I don't know how better to express what happens.

I think the longer you hold the shot in the back swing the more they compress (move inward)  All clubs do and I think it is part of the forgiveness of the club.  More forgiving means wider hitting space left and right of the ding line.  

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2016 2:01 PM

I thought it was the amount of power you use was what decided the distance between those lines. 100% being when they are closest together?

Just guessing though, when playing I don't think about them or notice them much. They have no effect on my decision making for a shot.

• JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2016 7:35 PM

The more power you use, the closer the lines get. 

In this case though, the specs for the Vapor 3w and Adams are identical. Except the Adams is 225 yards and the Vapor 235. Precision, forgiveness, shot shaping, spin, and meter are the same. 

But the lines on the Vapor compress much more than the Adams. Even if you don't swing as hard to compensate for the extra 10 yards. 

Seems like something you can only learn by using the club. 

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sat, Jul 30 2016 12:35 PM

ct690911:
    Actually, most legends ditch the hybrid for a 3rd wedge

Thats pretty irrelevant in this context.. 

Jas, if I am correct in my understanding about the compression of meter its kind of expected that the 3H, despite the same stats, would have a wider spread that 3W as its the 'lower' club. You can see similar pattern with your irons maybe if u switch from a PW to 3i. Rest everything what Hpurey said.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, Jul 30 2016 1:21 PM

JasCooper:

Everybody is always saying to use what I've got until I hit Master or Legend. But I may be an old man by then. And hopefully I'll be able to accumulate enough credit for the other upgrades I want at higher levels. Like Cleveland wedges at L74, and Versa putter at L70. Or the better Adams hybrid at L88  

And recently the free credits for watching videos has slowed to a trickle. 

I would give you similar advice to stick with what you have for now. And I agree with CT's advice.

The only thing I would add is that you're not that far away from Level 73. There's a very nice 3 wood (Callaway) at that level. But if you really need a 3 wood right now, I would look at the TaylorMade R15 (L41+). It's a very nice club. 

But I wouldn't get the hybrid. It's unlikely that you'll use it very much because you'll need a 3-wood as you go up in tiers. I ditched my hybrid a long time ago and have never missed having one.  

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, Jul 30 2016 1:22 PM

Vaibhav5viv:
    Thats pretty irrelevant in this context.

Well, since he's considering purchasing a hybrid, it seems pretty relevant to me. :-) 

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, Jul 30 2016 1:43 PM

I think CT's comment is right on the money.  I would advise the person considering buying a hybrid to play an 18 hole round on a named course and track how many shots he makes with a hybrid.  Also count how many shots were choked down with the PW in the iron set because you don't have 3 evenly spaced wedges.

i did that myself when I was a Tour Pro, and found that i had far more shots where I needed 3 evenly spaced wedges.  Been using the 3 wedge set up evern since I could buy the Cleveland top level 588's..

phred952 

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, Jul 30 2016 2:03 PM

I also got off course a bit in my first answer.  To address the point about the meter, Hpurey is correct.  When you hold it for more than a couple of seconds or so at the power level you select, the meter does compress some.  

It also compresses more with more power on your swing.  100% power compresses more than 50% power while drawing back to set up your shot.  

Different clubs have different compression rates from what I have seen by the meter.  A 3W will probably compress more than a Hybrid.  It will also hit for more distance.  Everything is a trade off.

phred952 

RSS