Forums

Help › Forums

High ding rate = cheating?

Sat, Dec 31 2016 5:26 PM (437 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,202 Posts
    Fri, Aug 12 2016 8:51 PM

"It's as if MLB had said to Hank Aaron, "You're hitting home runs and driving in runs at a much greater rate than your peers. Our only recourse is to ban you from the game because you must be cheating."

Mark: You are correct...Aaron would have been banned. A-Rod, Bonds and other cheaters received contracts worth eight figures...times have changed my friend, and not for the better.

I also agree that Q's case will probably remain a mystery. 

ct

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Sat, Aug 13 2016 7:18 AM

mkg335:
    The most logical conclusion one can draw is that Q was banned strictly on suspicion of cheating, when the fact is that he was just really, really good at the game.  

That's a very fair point. One of the things that tends to get overlooked when comparing numbers and doing any data analysis is that outliers do exist. While the probability of any single individual being that outlier is extremely low, the probability of there being an outlier (especially with such a large N) is extremely high. 

• ct690911
    7,202 Posts
    Sat, Aug 13 2016 7:43 AM

Robert1893:

mkg335:
    The most logical conclusion one can draw is that Q was banned strictly on suspicion of cheating, when the fact is that he was just really, really good at the game.  

That's a very fair point. One of the things that tends to get overlooked when comparing numbers and doing any data analysis is that outliers do exist. While the probability of any single individual being that outlier is extremely low, the probability of there being an outlier (especially with such a large N) is "extremely high". 

Rob: Not sure about ^^^...If so, India and China would dominate every sport.

ct

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Sat, Aug 13 2016 8:36 AM

ct690911:

Rob: Not sure about ^^^...If so, India and China would dominate every sport.

ct

All countries have a large N. So it becomes a battle of the outliers. 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 3:12 AM

pdb1:
    I seem to remember a couple years ago there were a couple of these programs publicly available . As if they were almost promoted by WGT. 

I remember that the company that supplied the adverts here included one for a slow meter cheat, probably what you mean.  It was on for a few days.

pdb1:

So either these programs are not as prevalent as suggested . Or they are a conflict of interest . 

I don't think we are privy to any of that information . Or will we ever be . 

I think that some players would be easier to spot than others, and would then be investigated further.

A player that is close to the top using something that gives them a shot or two a round would perhaps be noticeable, a mediocre or poor player getting similar probably wouldn't.

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 10:15 AM

jeffmatulich:

LOL I can't believe this thread is still going......

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 10:38 AM

lonniescott711:

quote user="jeffmatulich"]

The option to not read it is an available one.

Anyway is someone who, for no apparent reason, posts a picture of a man punching a dead cow a good judge of what's worthwhile?  ;-)

• adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 10:57 AM

DodgyPutter:

lonniescott711:

quote user="jeffmatulich"]

The option to not read it is an available one.

Anyway is someone who, for no apparent reason, posts a picture of a man punching a dead cow a good judge of what's worthwhile?  ;-)

sorry i think it flogging a dead horse i maybe wrong tho

RSS