Help › Forums

Trying to understand my new wedge

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 8 2016 7:33 AM (31 replies)
  • Tomborg
    33 Posts
    Mon, Jun 27 2016 5:02 PM

Hi,

So there I was stuck in the sand, 8 yards from the hole.

I pull out my new 64 Cleveland wedge, and since I am in the sand I decide to give it a bit more power and pick 15 yard in the meter. The ball flies about 2 yards.

What the heck?

I reverted back to the beginners wedges, and they work like a charm.

Pls could someone explain this to me? thank you.

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Mon, Jun 27 2016 5:49 PM

I am assuming that you did not have the Cleveland wedges AND the beginners wedges equipped in your bag at the same time.

So the shots you are comparing could be very different.

For all I know - the one that went only 2 yds with the Cleveland wedge was in 50%-60% bunker, while the one you played with your beginner wedge was in 5%-10% bunker.

Since you have not provided the lies - then it is difficult to speculate.

In general you will get far better performance from the Cleveland Wedges compare to the Beginner wedges. You just need to learn the distances.  The beginner wedges might come out with a little less power (maybe) but will then roll out double the carry distance at least.  The Cleveland wedges can be hit a lot harder, will fly higher and stop faster, making them far more controllable.

• Tomborg
    33 Posts
    Mon, Jun 27 2016 6:43 PM

thank you - is there any guidance (reference tables) on how much extra power is needed when for example I am stuck in a 50%-60% bunker?

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Jun 27 2016 7:13 PM

Using full BS out of a bunker also helps..it provides more loft and a softer landing...you made no mention if you did this. Like Neil said, some speculation on our part.

ct

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Mon, Jun 27 2016 10:18 PM

Tomborg:
    What the heck?

Chip or Pitch shot?

Your preshot routine must include all parameters of the shot!

• Tomborg
    33 Posts
    Thu, Jun 30 2016 3:09 PM

i guess i just need to learn to use the new clubs.

also got a new set of irons recently and got the same issues.

on the fairway, 20 yds from hole...used the PW with 22 yds reach. Aimed my shot (almost no wind) and projected for a 80% full shot...the ball travelled and rested about 12 yds from the hole...really dont get the distance estimates on me new clubs.

if i return to my beginner clubs, things travel as expected...

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Thu, Jun 30 2016 4:31 PM

Tomborg:

i guess i just need to learn to use the new clubs.

also got a new set of irons recently and got the same issues.

on the fairway, 20 yds from hole...used the PW with 22 yds reach. Aimed my shot (almost no wind) and projected for a 80% full shot...the ball travelled and rested about 12 yds from the hole...really dont get the distance estimates on me new clubs.

if i return to my beginner clubs, things travel as expected...

OK - now we start to get to the problem.  You seem to be saying that you are "believing" the suggested distances WGT give you on the club and shot type you select.   This is a very bad move especially on short shots.

You have used completely the wrong shot for the situation you describe.

If I am 20 yds from the hole --- I will be removing the pin and hitting my Cleveland 64 degree Wedge, Punch Shot with full backspin at 54% power (assuming reasonably flat green).  I will be hoping it goes in - and expecting it to be a tap in if not. You have exactly this wedge equipped in your bag!

Under 40 yds from the hole - you should have range of shots that will knock it stone dead every time. The good clubs give you this reliability - the same shot gives the same result time after time.  At this short distance, the difference from shot to shot is only perhaps 1 ft.  The starter clubs are nowhere near this reliable.

You need to learn the distances on the Pitch and Punch shots.  I STRONGLY suggest that you hit a few approach shots with full backspin and check out the distances. Make a chart of % power vs distances.  With the Cleveland 64 Wedge these are VERY reliable.

Your idea of improving your game by going back to Starter Clubs is rubbish. The starter club results are only better if you simply have no idea what you are doing with the new club.   Get the new club shots dialed in and you will never look back.

Good Luck

Happy Hacking

Neil (The Hakman)

• Tomborg
    33 Posts
    Thu, Jun 30 2016 11:24 PM

thank you Neil,great advice.

I guess I was expecting the following:

- if the wind is minor (1-2mph), I'm on the fairway and I have a club that says it does 22 yards, if I hit it full swing, it should travel 22 yds.

I just had a scenario just like this today, 159 yds to the pin, 15-17mph wind behind me in the direction of my hit, I hit an iron capable of about 175 yards at full....the ball fell about 50 yards short of the hole (yes, the wind was with me, not against me). the guy I was playing against had the same issue (we discussed it).

I will keep practising, but the maths just doesn't add up.

thanks again.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 12:23 AM

Tomborg:

159 yds to the pin, 15-17mph wind behind me in the direction of my hit, I hit an iron capable of about 175 yards at full....the ball fell about 50 yards short of the hole

A strong tail wind will flatten the trajectory of the ball, you won't get as much extra carry as you think.  You will usually get more roll out on landing but the actual distance in the air won't always be that much more than with a neutral wind.

Try using different spin, back spin will help get the ball high up and give more carry. 

Strong wind rounds can be a real challenge but it's fun to have to think about the shots a bit more.

• moejo857
    22 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 7:04 PM

thy control every one plain a simple i don't want to here your fing garbage brown nosers it't a fact jack 

RSS