Forums

Help › Forums

Trying to understand my new wedge

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 8 2016 7:33 AM (31 replies)
  • K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sat, Jul 2 2016 10:42 PM

If you post, don't drink. If you drink, don't post.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 12:19 AM

K7JBQ:

If you post, don't drink. If you drink, don't post.

If you mean this idiot:

moejo857:

thy control every one plain a simple i don't want to here your fing garbage brown nosers it't a fact jack 

I think it would be more appropriate to say if you have fewer brain cells than fingers, which in this case may be more than average, don't post.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 12:27 AM

hakman123:

You need to learn the distances on the Pitch and Punch shots.  I STRONGLY suggest that you hit a few approach shots with full backspin and check out the distances. Make a chart of % power vs distances.  With the Cleveland 64 Wedge these are VERY reliable.

This is very good advice.  I use a punched 64° ATV wedge for any shot between about 14 and 42 yards and am normally within easy putt range.  You can vary the run out by using more or less back spin, a bit of run out is good as you have more chance of the ball dropping in the hole.

New clubs take a bit of time to learn, especially when you first upgrade from starter gear.  Stick with it, you'll soon be playing much better.

• Tomborg
    33 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 11:21 PM

thank u for everyone's advice!!

I also found this article, which has helped immensely!!

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/7840.aspx

cheers and thx again

• kensabre10
    2,890 Posts
    Mon, Jul 4 2016 11:21 AM

ALSO! try the flop shot, can get VERY close and be in control with full b/s

• tjune2016
    588 Posts
    Mon, Jul 4 2016 1:21 PM

Wind at 10-12 miles and hitting with it &  flag 159 yds away  and you use a 175 yd club and it is still  50 yards  short  ??  They say the wind knocked it down,?? thats a crock, wind was behind you , should have went 50 yards over the green. 

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 10:25 AM

tjune2016:

They say the wind knocked it down,?? thats a crock, wind was behind you , should have went 50 yards over the green. 

Did you drop out of elementary physics?  Next time the wind is very strong try throwing a football into the air, I bet you can't make it go as high as on a calm day.  Obviously a football has a hell of a lot more resistance than a golf ball but the principal is the same. 

Go play a practice round with strong wind and hit a 6 iron into a head wind, then do the same with a tail wind and have a look at how much lower the ball flies with a tail wind.

For distance with an iron cross wind is the best.  Strong tail wind will indeed get you more distance but a lot of that will be after the ball has hit the ground.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 10:29 AM

In all fairness though, I have to admit this scenario is extreme:

Tomborg:

159 yds to the pin, 15-17mph wind behind me in the direction of my hit, I hit an iron capable of about 175 yards at full....the ball fell about 50 yards short of the hole

Did you hit the ball full power?  Landing 50 yards short is very unlikely to be caused by wind conditions, unless it's 32 in the face.

If you did hit full power then I think you had a WTF? shot.  They do happen now and then.  If you hit a bit under full power then it may be within normal tolerances.  Remember the meter is not linear, 80% power will not go 80% distance. 

I can see why this was a frustrating shot for you.

• Tomborg
    33 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 2:00 PM

Hi,

interesting to note your comment, which I was clearly not aware of, and that is most likely were the problem lies:

"the meter is not linear, 80% power will not go 80% distance"

so if the meter is not linear, how do we understand and use it?

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 7:11 PM

Tomborg:
    so if the meter is not linear, how do we understand and use it?

Add a few yards to the shot and use that to determine what percent to hit. I'm sure there are people have this all down to a formula. While I tend to play by "feel," I tend to add about 3 yards around the 80%. Around 50%, I add about 6 to 8 yards to the shot. 

Of course, it also depends if I'm using backspin or topspin. Obviously, with topspin, I add fewer yards in calculating the number. 

I hope that makes sense. If not, feel free to ignore it! :-) 

RSS