Trying to understand my new wedge

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 8 2016 7:33 AM (31 replies)
  • hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 7:51 PM

Tomborg:

Hi,

interesting to note your comment, which I was clearly not aware of, and that is most likely were the problem lies:

"the meter is not linear, 80% power will not go 80% distance"

so if the meter is not linear, how do we understand and use it?

Power vs Distance is linear for Putting, but non-linear for all other clubs.

It is fairly linear in the 90% to 100% range, with 90% power maybe being around 89% distance (depends on the clubs and balls). Then the distance drops away a little more vs power down to 80%, then there is a rapid drop-off after that. Distances become less reliable and it is not recommended to hit any power < 70% on longer clubs. You can be cute with lower power on the wedges - but for short game I recommend using Pitch & Punch shots with half to full backspin, rather than trying to tweak power on full shots.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 7:33 AM

Also map your clubs and take notes.  Use the ball you plan on playing with to get results that will help your game.  Use this link in the forum to read more about mapping.

Hope this helps.
    phred952

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 12:06 PM

Tomborg:

so if the meter is not linear, how do we understand and use it?

I'm afraid that's where experience comes into play, from my point of view anyway.  I play this game purely by feel, I don't use any percentages and honestly couldn't tell you how far a 4 iron hit with 85% power will go.  I just move the marker, drag the power meter to what looks about right and go for it.

I know this isn't very helpful but I think playing the game by the seat of your pants is a lot more fun.

My advice would be to not get too bogged down in numbers, just play the game and you'll develop a feel for the shots.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 12:17 PM

hakman123:
    It is fairly linear in the 90% to 100% range, with 90% power maybe being around 89% distance (depends on the clubs and balls). Then the distance drops away a little more vs power down to 80%, then there is a rapid drop-off after that. Distances become less reliable and it is not recommended to hit any power < 70% on longer clubs.

For longer clubs, I think this is spot on. I don't think I've ever hit my longer clubs (or any of my irons) at less than 90%.

My wedges are a different story though. I've had really good success with my 64- degree wedge at less than 70% with full swing (i.e. not punch or pitch) and full backspin. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I simply add about 6 to 8 yards and adjust accordingly. 

For shots between 20 to 40 yards, I like that shot a lot better than a pitch because it takes more of the green out of play than the pitch.  

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 2:36 PM

Robert1893:

My wedges are a different story though. I've had really good success with my 64- degree wedge at less than 70% with full swing (i.e. not punch or pitch) and full backspin. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I simply add about 6 to 8 yards and adjust accordingly. 

For shots between 20 to 40 yards, I like that shot a lot better than a pitch because it takes more of the green out of play than the pitch.  

This is how I used to play the short game between 20 yds and 40 yds until I learned to use the Punch shot. The difference is HUGE.  I recommend you try it.

Instead of ending up within a few yards, you will end up within a few feet.

Punch shot with full backspin -- 20yds = 54%   30yds = 72%   40yds = 88%   

Cut back on backspin to allow the ball to roll a little if you are really trying to hole out, and adjust power accordingly.

Good Luck

Neil (The Hakman)

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 2:56 PM

hakman123:

This is how I used to play the short game between 20 yds and 40 yds until I learned to use the Punch shot. The difference is HUGE.  I recommend you try it.

Instead of ending up within a few yards, you will end up within a few feet.

Punch shot with full backspin -- 20yds = 54%   30yds = 72%   40yds = 88%   

Cut back on backspin to allow the ball to roll a little if you are really trying to hole out, and adjust power accordingly.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I have to admit that I've never been good with the punch shot. I don't know why, but I always have problems with the meter when I use a punch shot. It doesn't seem to act the same way. But that could just be me. 

Nevertheless, with my current way of doing it, I typically leave it within 3 feet. It's rare that it's more than 5 feet away. And I've had a few holeouts.

In any case, I'll try it out.  

• Tomborg
    33 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2016 3:09 PM

Hi,

Thank you, have tried the punch shot a few times, and its long every time...so I need to adjust my strength :)

Time to start making notes, me thinks.

The link provided, however, does not work anymore: www.wgt.com/forums/t/215435.aspx

Cheers

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2016 4:09 PM

Tomborg:

Hi,

Thank you, have tried the punch shot a few times, and its long every time...so I need to adjust my strength :)

Time to start making notes, me thinks.

The link provided, however, does not work anymore: www.wgt.com/forums/t/215435.aspx

Cheers

Seems to work perfectly for the majority of the top players. Make sure you are doing it correctly - full backspin with the 64 degree wedge with the exact power calculated for the distance.

Instead of giving no information and saying ' it doesn't work '  - try showing a replay and saying how you played it ( club, spin, punch, power) then we could be more helpful.

Given that  I (and many others) are using this to get stone dead results, it would suggest you have misunderstood at least one aspect of the method.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2016 5:04 PM

Sorry the link was bad.  Try doing a Forum search on mapping clubs.  That was how I found that thread and included the link.

phred952

• ScottHope
    10,107 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2016 2:18 AM

The link doesn't work phred because some rogue characters attached themselves to the end of the link address....

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/215435.aspx%20

(I think %20 is hex code for a space.)

...but you wouldn't see it unless you looked at the HTML code.

This one should be good to go....

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/215435.aspx

RSS