Help › Forums

Wanting to upgrade my driver and 3 wood

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 28 2016 12:46 PM (30 replies)
  • petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sat, Jun 18 2016 2:14 AM

Howzit everyone

So I'm about 8 rounds away from level 90...and through some stroke of good fortune, about 1.18 away from Legend.

I was thinking of retiring my existing driver and 3 wood which have served me extremely well (thanks to jimbog64 for the advice!)

Here's what I'm thinking:

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro Driver (L85+)
    to replace:
    TaylorMade R1 TP 9.0 White Driver (L48+)

Reasons:
    7 yards more distance
    High trajectory
    0.5 point more precision
    0.5 point slower meter
    (it does have 0.5 point less forgiveness)

NIKE Vapor Fly 3 Wood (L86+)
    to replace:
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Wood (L33+)

Reasons:
    7 yards more distance
    High trajectory
    1 point more precision
    0.5 point slower meter
    (it does have 0.5 point less forgiveness)

I realise that I'm lucky enough to still be firing off the TM tees, but in both the instances above, I like the extra distance, the higher trajectory, the better precision and the slightly slower meter.

Am I on the right track here?

Look forward to comments and criticism of my logic.

Cheers,

Peter

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Sat, Jun 18 2016 10:50 AM

Me too. 

FYI it's free rental weekend

Are you going to get the RSI2's? I want them sooo bad. 

I don't know what driver to get... I want one though. The Nike Vapour is 4 meter vs 3.5 meter for these irons we have. Wneres the Nike Covert is 3.5 meter. Keeps it the same. 

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sat, Jun 18 2016 11:28 AM

Since you do have a free rental this weekend  if I were you I would take a look at what is available to you and try them out playing from the tips . You will be moving back 1 more time so make the upgrade count as much as possible .

Play practice rounds and multiple courses so you get a real good look at whats to come . Take a look at whatever irons are availabe as well so you dont get caught short .

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jun 18 2016 12:50 PM

petervcpt:

Am I on the right track here?

Look forward to comments and criticism of my logic.

I think you're definitely on the right track.

Currently, I have the Callaway (L83) driver and Big Bertha (L89) 3 wood. I've always been pretty happy with the driver. But I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Bertha 3 wood. When it's great, it's fantastic. But it's forgiveness leaves a bit to be desired, at times. I've hit some wayward shots with it. There are times that I have trouble even getting close to dinging it. 

So today, I rented both of the clubs that you're looking at. So far, they're fantastic. I've already pretty much decided that I'm going to drop the Big Bertha 3 wood and pick up the Nike Vapor. And I'll probably pick up the driver as well. The slower meter is nice. Plus, I think it would be good to have the meters on those two clubs be the same.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sat, Jun 18 2016 4:36 PM

Solarflares:

Jury is out on the L80's Fly Vapors , but my view is that there was a trade-off between meter-speed and other values.  I would avoid since the SLDR and X-hot 3 wood will be more consistent with distance.

Can't speak to the driver, but the l86 Fly Vapor 3wood is a great, consistent performer that has replaced the BB in my bag.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jun 18 2016 5:13 PM

K7JBQ:

Solarflares:

Jury is out on the L80's Fly Vapors , but my view is that there was a trade-off between meter-speed and other values.  I would avoid since the SLDR and X-hot 3 wood will be more consistent with distance.

Can't speak to the driver, but the l86 Fly Vapor 3wood is a great, consistent performer that has replaced the BB in my bag.

Well, I've been playing the driver today and pretty much love the club. In fact, I'm probably going to end up buying the the irons as well. Lately, it seems as if I've had problems hitting the TaylorMade RSi2 irons (L90+). I don't know that I ever got used to the meter on those. And I never noticed a big difference with respect to the extra spin.   

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Sat, Jun 18 2016 7:46 PM

spin vs what other irons?

Robert1893:

K7JBQ:

Solarflares:

Well, I've been playing the driver today and pretty much love the club. In fact, I'm probably going to end up buying the the irons as well. Lately, it seems as if I've had problems hitting the TaylorMade RSi2 irons (L90+). I don't know that I ever got used to the meter on those. And I never noticed a big difference with respect to the extra spin.   

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Jun 19 2016 6:02 AM

I think the OP is referring to the difference between the L85 Nikes and the L90 Rsi2 TMs.  I found that the Rsi2 irons (even the long irons)will stick better with a ball with good spin (like a Cally L33 or a Nike L61) if you are right on the ding.  If you miss it just a bit, you lose a lot of the spin.  I did OK with the Rsi2's when i first got them, but have been having trouble with my timing and have gone back to the L85 Nike VR's.

I'm trying the new L85 Fly irons this weekend, and have better timing with both 2.5 and 3.5 meter speed balls due to the 4.0 meter on the irons than the 3.5 speed of the VR's.  Except for the timing the Flys seem to play the same as the VR's.

phred952

RSS