Forums

Help › Forums

The story of shaya

Sat, May 7 2016 4:18 AM (78 replies)
  • mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 9:05 PM

Doc, by all means I'm pulling for you...was just pointing out how economies tend to evolve, not meaning to say I'm in favor of it.  We sorely need manufacturing here for so many reasons, but the cold reality is that until conditions change around the world, we're stuck right where we are at present.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 4:19 AM

mkg335:
    until conditions change around the world, we're stuck right where we are at present.

And there you have it. It has actually come to the point where things must be torn down, to put new things in place. This is what is fueling Trumps' popularity. I believe we have reached a tipping point where people are so righteously disgusted with our political landscape, they are ready to bulldoze it and start anew. To me the choice is simple, do we continue down the path that corporate greed and influence peddling has chosen for us, or do we choose the path less taken, regardless of the obstacles in our way ?

Doc :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 8:03 AM

drmoose:
    It has actually come to the point where things must be torn down, to put new things in place. This is what is fueling Trumps' popularity

And just what difference does your naive self think one person is going to make, male OR female? There's still 2 other arms of the government that can squash anything (like they have for the past 4 years.) Anybody can tear something down but without a sustainable plan in place it all becomes a pile of rubble. 

I'll pass on digging out of the heap.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 9:45 AM

Jim, 

I hardly consider myself to be "naive", which to me has always implied a certain innocence I'm sad to say I parted with many moons ago. I'm also quite aware of our system of checks and balances. A rational consideration of what can be expected from the other front runner was the deciding factor in my choice of candidates. I'm tapped out. I can't be squeezed like this anymore. Perhaps you'd feel differently if every administration for the last 30 plus years had allowed an influx of cabinet makers and kitchen re-modelers to set up shop and work for 1/8th of what you charge.

The only thing that remains for me is a very slim hope that something positive may come out of this election, and that is certainly not another democrat.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 9:57 AM

mkg335:

Indeed, superstition, demagoguery and prejudice all rely on blind faith and a superficial level of understanding, and often go hand-in-hand.

Hmmm!  A lot of words between us but you have finally clearified what i intended to convay versis what I said.,  Thank you,  but still my nickle.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 10:02 AM

mkg335:

It's true that for democracy to flourish the middle class must be strong.  As classes stratify and separate too widely, representative government suffers.

Representative Government?  Not since the Electorial College became a part of it.  MY Nickle.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 10:22 AM

drmoose:

Jim, 

I hardly consider myself to be "naive", which to me has always implied a certain innocence I'm sad to say I parted with many moons ago. I'm also quite aware of our system of checks and balances. A rational consideration of what can be expected from the other front runner was the deciding factor in my choice of candidates. I'm tapped out. I can't be squeezed like this anymore. Perhaps you'd feel differently if every administration for the last 30 plus years had allowed an influx of cabinet makers and kitchen re-modelers to set up shop and work for 1/8th of what you charge.

The only thing that remains for me is a very slim hope that something positive may come out of this election, and that is certainly not another democrat.

I can not agree more.  I have thought at the begining that perhaps Trump was only the false front, and that he would quit his false run, and give all of his votes and support to the real canidate.  Wishfull thinking!

Now that it seems "The donald" or "Queen" hillary may actually be our next leader (?), I am hoping that said leadership(?) will be so bad as to cause the American public to start an action to inforce the constitution and take control of the elective process as it always should have been.

Perhaps in gaining control of the way public elective office is done, we might also consider length of term, term limits, how many people can be represented by members of congress, financial aid to office seekers, Federal Judgeships for life, and on and on and on.

Only the tip of the iceberg as i am concerned.  But, a good start!  my nickle.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 10:31 AM

drmoose:
    I hardly consider myself to be "naive

Yet you'd prefer to blow everything up and start over? Where did chaos ever prove to be a viable plan? Republicans have done nothing but make life miserable for long enough. My hope is that not only do the Democrats grab the WH, they also pick up a balancing majority in the Senate or HOR. Then something will get done and it won't involve a war.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 10:38 AM

Lee, glad we could finally come to terms.

As for the Electoral College, that springs from James Madison's idea that the Constitution calls for a combination of state-based and population-based representation...thus two houses of congress (the Senate, which is state-based, and the House of Representatives, which is population-based).  Each state has as many electors in the college as it does representatives in the House and senators in the Senate (which of course is always two) along with three from the District of Columbia for a total of 538.

This can lead to anomalies, such as the 2000 election in which the candidate who received the majority of the popular vote was denied the presidency.

But for the most part, I think Madison usually got things right...most strikingly as the principal author of the Constitution.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 11:09 AM

Totally disagree with the fact that those electoral college represenatives can and will vote any way they want.   The 2000 election is not the first time a president was elected to serve without having a majority of the publics votes.

The two houses of congress are fine with me.  It is the idea of giving my hard earned vote to someone else to cast however they see fit that causes my concern.  That in itself is cause for a  tremendous overhaul of our election process.  my nickle.

RSS