Forums

Help › Forums

The story of shaya

Sat, May 7 2016 4:18 AM (78 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 1:02 PM

drmoose:

I could very well be wrong, Mark, but, what I think Lee was going for was to substitute "level of understanding" for "beliefs".

Doc :)

Works better if you add it to the end of Mark's statement. "......and the level of understanding those beliefs."

It's one thing to believe in something. It's another to understand what you're believing in. That's what's scary about what's going on with the blind support a certain political candidate is getting.  :-(

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 2:19 PM

Indeed, superstition, demagoguery and prejudice all rely on blind faith and a superficial level of understanding, and often go hand-in-hand.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 6:00 PM

Okey dokey, I could very well be right, lol. If there is anyone that can seriously say that our country has been on the right path for the last 30 plus years,  as far as, international trade. Please enlighten me, how, as a  US manufacturer, I am supposed to be able to compete with foreign imports that can be landed in my home town for 1/8 the cost that I can supply those same goods ? In addition to supplying millions of school children with archery equipment through the NASP program, over my years as a manufacturer, I have also designed many products for use by the handicapped ( consumers) that allow them achieve their full potential, only to see these too go offshore in the name of corporate greed. In essence, my lifes' work has been relegated to a dungheap created by our elected officials. Once again, a vote for anyone but "Trump" is a vote for politics as usual.

Yes I am pissed.

Doc :(

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 6:40 PM

Banana

OPY

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 6:55 PM

Doc, I understand your bitterness, but remember that Trump is one of the main offenders as far as sending jobs overseas.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 7:08 PM

mkg335:
    but remember that Trump is one of the main offenders as far as sending jobs overseas.

It's not the politicians, heck, it's not even "Corporate Greed", it's the American public want it cheaper and cheaper.

Heck, look at Walmart...99% foreign goods..Made in USA is becoming a passe term.

If the US citizens refused to buy cheap, foreign goods, maybe, just maybe manufacturing might slip back to us.

But alas, it'll never happen.  Everyone wants the least expensive price they can get...when that 8 dollar grinder wears out, toss it, buy another one...etc.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 7:22 PM

Economies tend to evolve from agriculture to manufacturing to service and high tech and communication...doubtful that manufacturing will ever be viable here again.

One can hope that those working cheaply begin to organize and otherwise do what it takes to make a living wage, but that prospect is pretty far down the road and won't be realized unless/until they begin the hard work of fighting for (and dying for, in many cases) their rights.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 7:44 PM

MBaggese:
    It's not the politicians, heck, it's not even "Corporate Greed", it's the American public want it cheaper and cheaper.

True to some extent, however, the reason behind it is that " average" Americans have less discretionary income to spend because of Washingtons' policies than ever before.  Corporate America wanted access to cheap foreign labor, and  lobbied our politicians to get it, thus eliminating millions, if not billions of US based jobs. Hence the growing discrepancy between the "Rich" and the "Poor", while effectually eliminating the "Middle Class". This is wrong, on so many fronts. Washington is so out of touch with the "Average" person , I hope they all get what they deserve.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 7:47 PM

It's true that for democracy to flourish the middle class must be strong.  As classes stratify and separate too widely, representative government suffers.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2016 7:59 PM

mkg335:
    Economies tend to evolve from agriculture to manufacturing to service and high tech and communication...doubtful that manufacturing will ever be viable here again.

Mark,

I respect your opinions, it's like trying to put the genie back in the bottle, but, we definately need to strike some kind of balance. Not all of us can be money brokers, politicians, health care providers, you name it. Some of us have to make the items that people consume. As such, I'd like a little more level playing field.

RSS