Forums

Help › Forums

IM Boycotting EA Sports

Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:27 AM (41 replies)
  • JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 2:06 PM

Well, there's the picture itself, then there's the underlying map which deals with contours and texture (eg fairway, rough, green). One could be great while the other is inaccurate...

• CLINTLIQUOR
    64 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 5:42 PM

EllisSpice:
    If I remember rightly, it was made partly by MTV Games (which was actually closed and still owned by MTV..) and published by Take-Two, EA's biggest rival! The fact that it had courses that weren't real and characters that were fake (in more than one sense) meant it was never a rival of Tiger Woods. Sure, EA did nick a couple of features, but that was it.

Spot on Ellis, I was relating a story I had been told which was obviously BS. All I had to do was look at the box Which reads "Global Star Software, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Take Two Interactive Software, Inc." Sorry about spreading lies...

While I agree OG2 wasn't a proper rival to TW  it was a fun game and an option from TW.

• TylerDurdenJr
    100 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 8:23 PM

danohi50:

I missed much of the interview. World news report was talking to WGT's CEO about a recent press release from EA Sports and the PGA tour.

NOw I dont have all the facts, If anyone has more info to add please do.

EA contends that they have an exclusive contract with the PGA to duplicate courses for there game. And that this contract has the PGA and the R&A, and USGA, and WGT all in conflict

WGT has a contract for high def courses..EA does not but there calling fowl.

Apparently they were told by a judge that they had to have high res courses to have a case..

Guess what..EA is now trying to develope its own game...more on this later.

EA was part of developing this game. As a matter of fact I think one of the main developers of WGT was a former (or perhaps even current) long time employee of EA.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:30 PM

Well just for the record, the PGA tour, the USGA and the R&A owns very few courses.  The R&A only St Andrews, the PGA owns a number of the TPC courses and to my knowledge the USGA none.  Most courses are owned by developers, members, or other groups.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Feb 24 2011 1:19 AM

TylerDurdenJr:

If you had a brain an any element of instinctive resource you would already know that EA was part of developing this game. As a matter of fact I think one of the main developers of WGT was a former (or perhaps even current) long time employee of EA.

You talk too much.. and understand too little.

That was alittle harsh Tyler,IM simply giving the heads up to our brothers here. so if you can offer some evidence on your opinion, that would be much more beneficial.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Feb 24 2011 1:23 AM

Amen, Dano. Apparently WGT poached some talent from EA, but to say EA itself was involved in creating WGT would be to put the thing backward.

• TylerDurdenJr
    100 Posts
    Thu, Feb 24 2011 2:35 AM

danohi50:

TylerDurdenJr:

If you had a brain an any element of instinctive resource you would already know that EA was part of developing this game. As a matter of fact I think one of the main developers of WGT was a former (or perhaps even current) long time employee of EA.

You talk too much.. and understand too little.

That was alittle harsh Tyler,IM simply giving the heads up to our brothers here. so if you can offer some evidence on your opinion, that would be much more beneficial.

Then, they recruited JF Prata and Phil Gorrow of EA to build it

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186005/5_questions_for_world_golf_tours_yuchiang_cheng.html

Electronic Arts played a huge role in developing this game... whether you like it or not. I love EA's games. I just wish WGT was "downloadable" and not ONLY flash based.\

Oh and my apologies danohi50 . I was a little harsh. I've had this argument before with people on EA forums.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Feb 24 2011 3:48 AM

TylerDurdenJr:
    Electronic Arts played a huge role in developing this game... whether you like it or not.

Fair enough if you are talking about technology, but the discussion here concerns competition between WGT and EA for courses.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Thu, Feb 24 2011 6:23 AM

Hey, I'm only repeating what they said. Never said it was true!

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Feb 24 2011 3:52 PM

Thanks Tyler!

RSS