Forums

Help › Forums

IM Boycotting EA Sports

Wed, Mar 23 2011 8:27 AM (41 replies)
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Feb 21 2011 8:00 PM

I missed much of the interview. World news report was talking to WGT's CEO about a recent press release from EA Sports and the PGA tour.

NOw I dont have all the facts, If anyone has more info to add please do.

EA contends that they have an exclusive contract with the PGA to duplicate courses for there game. And that this contract has the PGA and the R&A, and USGA, and WGT all in conflict

WGT has a contract for high def courses..EA does not but there calling fowl.

Apparently they were told by a judge that they had to have high res courses to have a case..

Guess what..EA is now trying to develope its own game...more on this later.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Feb 22 2011 11:55 AM

Do follow up, anyone with info! Let's see who gets the last cluck.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Tue, Feb 22 2011 12:29 PM

yes this is important..EA has so much money they can sue everyone into oblivion..

There is room for 2 different games.. Im trying to find more info on this.

• CLINTLIQUOR
    64 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 9:26 AM

I can tell you for a fact EA uses its huge coffers of money to ruin anything they feel is competition, I can give you 2 examples (I'm sure there are many more)

First)  About 10 years ago I bought my first XBOX. There was a game called Outlaw Golf, a very fun golf game, Then they released Outlaw Golf 2 even better game which started to gain great popularity, in fact so much that they created Outlaw Volleyball and had plans to create Outlaw Tennis. When EA saw this game cutting into their market share they did the only thing they felt they could do to compete and protect their precious Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf (a shyte game imo). They BOUGHT THE COMPANY a killed all further products from same company ( incidentally I have seen many features from Outlaw Golf integrated into TW since that time)

Second) In 2005 2K Sports released a game called NFL 2K5 (also on the xbox) It was a far superior game to Madden (imo) and it only cost $20 as compared to $50 for Madden. Apparently 2K was not for sale, so EA went to the NFL and signed an exclusive 6 year contract to use player and team names, effectively squashing NFL 2K franchise...

Beware WGT, this behemoth will do whatever it takes to destroy anything it feels is a threat to their monoply...

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 11:07 AM

CLINTLIQUOR:
    When EA saw this game cutting into their market share they did the only thing they felt they could do to compete and protect their precious Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf (a shyte game imo). They BOUGHT THE COMPANY a killed all further products from same company

A terrible thought for us but that could be the third part of the WGT business model.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 11:49 AM

andyson:
    A terrible thought for us but that could be the third part of the WGT business model.

Ah but what if EA is recognizing a monster and looks to spend their $ on expanding the HD golf experience. Buy WGT, spend a ton on new courses doing it this way and reap the rewards. The other games were renditions of the same thing-this is a different breed.

I could live with that.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:00 PM

Sorry, your wrong about the Outlaw Series? How do I know this? Because, I played them all, including Outlaw Tennis, which was released in the end.

If I remember rightly, it was made partly by MTV Games (which was actually closed and still owned by MTV..) and published by Take-Two, EA's biggest rival! The fact that it had courses that weren't real and characters that were fake (in more than one sense) meant it was never a rival of Tiger Woods. Sure, EA did nick a couple of features, but that was it.

Truth be told, they stopped making them due to bad sales by the looks of it. It was a very 'niche' title with an 18 rating.

How does it relate to WGT? I wouldn't worry. Sure, EA want to be better than WGT, but the fact that EA have had to up their game says something. In a recent interview on 'Inside XBox', someone working at EA said that Augusta was going to be 'the best looking course ever seen, better even than our nearest rivals'. Now, he didn't name the 'nearest rival', but who do you think it was?

I'll give you three guesses...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:58 PM

EllisSpice:
    someone working at EA said that Augusta was going to be 'the best looking course ever seen, better even than our nearest rivals'. Now, he didn't name the 'nearest rival', but who do you think it was?

Uh, I would think a company that patents an idea to manipulate the difficulty of a game probably had the foresight to copyright their HD plan. In that case the technology to virtually duplicate a photo would have to be in place. Is there one? And if there is,  what would be the copyright scenario?

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 1:02 PM

YankeeJim:

EllisSpice:
    someone working at EA said that Augusta was going to be 'the best looking course ever seen, better even than our nearest rivals'. Now, he didn't name the 'nearest rival', but who do you think it was?

Uh, I would think a company that patents an idea to manipulate the difficulty of a game probably had the foresight to copyright their HD plan. In that case the technology to virtually duplicate a photo would have to be in place. Is there one? And if there is,  what would be the copyright scenario?

Thing is, EA aren't using photos. They're doing the technique they do on all courses (which is to scan them), but to a higher level of details. No patent broken, annoyingly.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 23 2011 1:47 PM

EllisSpice:

hing is, EA aren't using photos. They're doing the technique they do on all courses (which is to scan them), but to a higher level of details. No patent broken, annoyingly.

In which case that employee's statement appears to have emanated from the hindquarters.  :-D

How do you get more real than an actual picture?

RSS