What needs to be said

Mon, Mar 21 2016 8:54 PM (68 replies)
  • ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 12:02 PM

WGTicon:

andyson:

ApexPC:
    It probably also helps if you send WGT a Trouble Report when you have any kind of problem with a game.

If your screen is frozen or you have a blue screen or "!" white screen it is not possible to right click and send a Trouble Report.

That leads me to a question for Shoe or Icon....Does it do any good to send a Trouble Report after getting a freeze or disconnect and reloading the game client?  Is the extra data relating to the freeze/disco still there or is it wiped by the reload?

yep, yep. I tested it. as long as that window is not closed, the data remains intact.

So are you stating not to close the frozen tab/window and open the game client with a new tab/window and you will still get the frozen data? 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 12:12 PM

WGTicon:
    yep, yep. I tested it. as long as that window is not closed, the data remains intact.

I am confused here.

If the game freezes, you cannot right click to send a report, so are you saying do not close the screen (X out) but just to refresh (say F5) the current screen?

Or are you saying the other players should send the report?

It is not possible to open a new game client screen as it comes up ...no multiple windows or something like that.

My problem if I do not close (X out) and then clear cache, I find the exact same problem will usually re-occur and you will end up with three strikes anyway. 

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 1:49 PM

YankeeJim:
    How does the way they get connected to the WGT server come into play? Aren't the in-between servers part of the problem when it comes to slow loads?

I'll assume you mean the path taken on the internet to connect to the WGT server.

When running consecutive tests via speedtest.net to the same remote server I seldom get the same download speed result.  It varies up to 10Mbps at times.  So yeah the in-between servers play a part in loading speeds.  But at which end?  Our ISP's end or WGT's ISP end?

Any path in-between the two ISPs I'll call the internet backbone. The backbone is made up of hi-speed fiber links and extremely fast hardware routers switching the packets on their way to the next router.  The backbone's speed as of 2013 was 100Gbps!  Unless there's severe congestion along the way (rare) the backbone is not part of the problem.

On our end, connection speed can be affected by the size and speed of the ISPs server and the amount of traffic being served.  There's good ISPs and not so good ISPs.  A not so good ISP could play a part in varying load speeds I'd think.  But a good one you get what you pay for.

Then there's our connection to the ISP which can be via cable, DSL, fiber or satellite.  A cable connection is shared within the neighborhood so if some neighbor starts downloading a movie from Netflix your speed could take a hit. DSL is not shared in the neighborhood but once you get to the CO (Central Office) you'll be sharing common resources. But not affected by neighbors & Netflix. Generally a lower speed than cable though. Fiber is not shared with neighbors but not widely available.  Bless you if you can get it with speeds to 1Gbps!  Satellite, you can take a hit with the wind blowing a tree limb in the way or a heavy rain storm.  If you can deal with the inherent latency due to beaming up/down 24.000 miles to the satellite.

One more local speed robber, wi-fi. Direct to the modem is best.  But if wi-fi is necessary then you share the bandwidth every smart phone, iPad, Kindle, smart TV, smart blender in the house. So the kids come home and fire up Facebook, you take a hit.

Finally to the WGT side ISP.  From a tracert, whois check, it looks like they're using Amazon Data Services now.  Based on reviews I read it looks like a good ISP.  That's the end of the line as the game servers would reside there, not in a WGT office.

You coulda stopped reading @ Yeah.  LOL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 2:57 PM

andyson:
    You coulda stopped reading @ Yeah.  LOL

Haha. No way, I got a great answer. I knew you lay it out in a way easy to understand. I can vouch for the cable/dsl scenario because I have dsl at my shop-which is where most of the playing happens-and cable on the weekends at home. Suffice to say, I don't play important matches at home.

The point about direct over wi-fi is interesting because my dsl is both. I have my laptop hardwired and also set to wi-fi. I assume the wi-fi is the default connection and it would explain a few things I see that you explained. 

Thanks for a good read.  :-)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 5:17 PM

WGTicon:

andyson:

ApexPC:
    It probably also helps if you send WGT a Trouble Report when you have any kind of problem with a game.

If your screen is frozen or you have a blue screen or "!" white screen it is not possible to right click and send a Trouble Report.

That leads me to a question for Shoe or Icon....Does it do any good to send a Trouble Report after getting a freeze or disconnect and reloading the game client?  Is the extra data relating to the freeze/disco still there or is it wiped by the reload?

Thanks Icon!

So when the game screen is frozen, or it's a blue/white screen crash, if we have access to the address bar or a game client bookmark at the time of the freeze we can reload the game client page and right click to file a report with good data on the crash.  As long as we don't close the window.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 8:59 PM

Thanks for great thread - I will link to our CCs forums.

Cheers

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2016 5:37 AM

andyson:

WGTicon:

andyson:

ApexPC:

Thanks Icon!

So when the game screen is frozen, or it's a blue/white screen crash, if we have access to the address bar or a game client bookmark at the time of the freeze we can reload the game client page and right click to file a report with good data on the crash.  As long as we don't close the window.

Good thread. I was following everything until Icons post, it seems a tad ambiguous to me. I could refresh the game client without closing it, is that what he means?

Andy, isn't the game client address always  just  wgt.com/gameclient.aspx.

How would saving/bookmarking it at the time of the error help? Excuse my computer ignorance.  :)

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2016 6:03 AM

Well done Andy, that explains perfectly why I have such a good meter even tho I only have 15GB download speed.

My wi-fi is not cluttered up with other users, and my ADSL is not, or hardly at all, shared with other users.

I am 3 Kms from the next Wi-Fi hotspot.

• MTBR
    182 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2016 7:20 AM

to VEGAS WADE         

Geeezus !    are you talking to people that actually KNOW what they are doing when it comes to computers or are you talking to golfers that don't know squat about computers?   the average person wouldn't have a clue to what you are talking about.   Did you see that long ass list of things to do to be able to play a simple golf game?    I like the part where you say to uninstall flash , then reinstall.....I think most will just update to the new version

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2016 7:28 AM

PaulTon:

Good thread. I was following everything until Icons post, it seems a tad ambiguous to me. I could refresh the game client without closing it, is that what he means?

Andy, isn't the game client address always  just  wgt.com/gameclient.aspx.

How would saving/bookmarking it at the time of the error help? Excuse my computer ignorance.  :)

1. Yes that's what he meant.

2. Yes that's the address always.

3. No, bookmark it now in whatever browser you use to play so it's ready to use when (not if) you freeze/disconnect.

RSS