Forums

Help › Forums

What needs to be said

Mon, Mar 21 2016 8:54 PM (68 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2016 2:29 PM

ApexPC:
    VegasWade didn't say Flash player was causing disconnects, which are an issue separate from the smoothness of the swing meter.

The original post was about the connection issues, not chapter and verse on how to fix something else. 

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2016 5:11 PM

VegasWade:
    I believe (although I've not had WGT confirm this), that the game connection is tied to the person HOSTING the match, game, AS. In other words, if the host has a crap connection, bad files, old Flash setup, that game will have issues. It may not be you or your setup causing the disconnects, but the HOST.

Not quite sure what you mean by "the game connection is tied to the person HOSTING the match, game, AS"?  People might get confused and think their computer is connected to the host player's computer.

Well, it isn't.  Our computer is connected to a WGT server.  In fact, in any multi-player game all players are connected to the same WGT server which then sends/receives  messages to/from the game client running on each player's computer.

The only "tie" I know of to the HOST of an M-P game is this:  The HOST's server is selected.   Say I start an AS game and invite 3 players.  Say I'm on WGT server psj-09.

Player 1 joins and he's on psj-05, his connection is reconfigured to talk to psj-09

Player 2 joins and he's on psj-03, his connection is reconfigured to talk to psj-09

Player 3 joins and he's on psj-09, no reconfiguration needed.

(We noticed this happening back in the days when we thought one WGT server was worse than others and we'd monitor the server numbers in the browser status bars)

Anyway, the stability of your multi-player game is dependent on the quality of ALL participating player's connection and computer.  Not only the HOST's.

VegasWade:
    If your upload speed sucks, you're going to have issues. http://www.speedtest.net/

Did you mean to say download?  There's very little traffic from our computer to the server, mainly the info on swings, some requests for images.  But size wise these are all small messages compared to the files being downloaded.

You appear to be pretty PC literate, what's your background VW?

Edit:  I forgot to mention that back in 2007 WGT outsourced their code that handles multi-player connections.  Info here.   Google Neutron 4.0 or Exit Games to get more info on what it does.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2016 7:59 PM

Let's keep it simple. What is happening now does not work for the majority of players in multiple formats across the board, resulting in loss of revenue. No further action on the part of the players should be warranted.

Doc :(

• VegasWade
    486 Posts
    Tue, Mar 15 2016 9:24 PM

andyson:

You appear to be pretty PC literate, what's your background VW?

The NSA used me to spy on other people until the FBI visited. Little did I know the two agencies hate each other.

andyson:

Our computer is connected to a WGT server.  In fact, in any multi-player game all players are connected to the same WGT server which then sends/receives  messages to/from the game client running on each player's computer.

The only "tie" I know of to the HOST of an M-P game is this:  The HOST's server is selected.   Say I start an AS game and invite 3 players.  Say I'm on WGT server psj-09.

Player 1 joins and he's on psj-05, his connection is reconfigured to talk to psj-09

Player 2 joins and he's on psj-03, his connection is reconfigured to talk to psj-09

Player 3 joins and he's on psj-09, no reconfiguration needed.

What I meant was the HOST, as you point out - the traffic between the person doing the invites. There's more traffic to and from the host to other players and from the server(s) (I think). I could be wrong on that. You've done far more testing. 

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 7:40 AM

andyson:
    in any multi-player game all players are connected to the same WGT server

I remember this discussion .... also noted that once a player disconnected, then reconnected, would have a better or stable connection.

My thinking on that was, if my pc needed to reconnect back to psj-09, it would find a better route back than the one assigned by the game server setting the game.

And I did not have to jump through any hoops to get that done, it just happens through the internet protocol.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 8:03 AM

andyson:
    In fact, in any multi-player game all players are connected to the same WGT server which then sends/receives  messages to/from the game client running on each player's computer.

How does the way they get connected to the WGT server come into play? Aren't the in-between servers part of the problem when it comes to slow loads?I see some players jump the gun when they see a blue screen and think "here comes the blue screen merry go round" and reset rather than wait.

I see that same blue screen between every hole but it's just part of the loading process and I wait. Sometimes it's quick, other times it takes longer. This tells me the connection is flaky. IDK if it's the game , the ISP or the server but something is slowing things down.  I do know if I see it after somebody else resets, I'm stuck. I'm sure that one is on WGT.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 10:51 AM

Woodoworkery:

Yep its a sad thing , got all the way to the 18th hole at Cabo with some  friends last night and got kicked, and it would not let us back on.....lol

All that ball life gone for nothing

If you contact Customer Support and  politely explain what happened there is a good chance CS will add a ball of the make/model you used in the game to your account to compensate for the lost hits.

It probably also helps if you send WGT a Trouble Report when you have any kind of problem with a game.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 11:23 AM

ApexPC:
    It probably also helps if you send WGT a Trouble Report when you have any kind of problem with a game.

If your screen is frozen or you have a blue screen or "!" white screen it is not possible to right click and send a Trouble Report.

That leads me to a question for Shoe or Icon....Does it do any good to send a Trouble Report after getting a freeze or disconnect and reloading the game client?  Is the extra data relating to the freeze/disco still there or is it wiped by the reload?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 11:31 AM

andyson:

ApexPC:

If your screen is frozen or you have a blue screen or "!" white screen it is not possible to right click and send a Trouble Report.

That leads me to a question for Shoe or Icon....Does it do any good to send a Trouble Report after getting a freeze or disconnect and reloading the game client?  Is the extra data relating to the freeze/disco still there or is it wiped by the reload?

yep, yep. I tested it. as long as that window is not closed, the data remains intact.

• freddy1016
    5 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2016 11:54 AM

Four of us had the exact same problem on the 18th hole and we all got so mad that we threw our clubs in the pond> Question: If we all contact Customer Support will they give us compensation?    Be at it all week trying to get a game finished, think it best to switch to Nascar or F1, at least they crash its exciting, unlike WGT!

RSS