Forums

Help › Forums

WGT and TOPGOLF are now one!

Fri, Feb 26 2016 5:53 PM (212 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2016 7:30 AM

jjjj035:
    . Like other golf simulations, I pretty much reached peak 'skill' after a few days

Pfffffffffft. Nah.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Feb 2 2016 7:55 AM

jjjj035:
    Like other golf simulations, I pretty much reached peak 'skill' after a few days, and the vast majority of improvements came from better equipment and learning the quirks of the game and specific courses.

As previously said to you one thing you have not done is reached peak skill, not unless you define that as the level you cared to work for.

The last real golf game that captivated my imagination was Sega PGA circa 89/90.  Great game back in the day, but yes a limited shelf life.  I missed the others as much as anything due to kids being young, and I was busier with them.

WGT has certainly had it's issues but remains a very challenging game.  It does need a good boot up the backside in several ways, and maybe some extra funding will help...... Felt like being glass half full :)

• firetrucky
    172 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 9:16 PM

A little over a week has gone by since the merger and no new news. Or am I not looking in the right place?

• twinponds169
    3,019 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 10:18 PM

About the only thing new I heard is that Mr. TopGolf has severely reprimanded Mrs. TopGolf about her late night shopping habits on the QVC channel.

• rollone
    772 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2016 3:01 PM

hey since you guys are combined now, can you get TopGolf to let me back on the premises? 

• ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2016 3:16 PM

" It appears that this vision is to incorporate the technology and library of golf venues into TopGolf's worldwide locations..."

@JFHuber...I apologize for perhaps a naive question, but where is TopGolf  located outside of the USA?...I have never heard of it, and a few Europeans have written that it's not in Europe either.

Perhaps in the very largest of cities?

ct

• ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2016 3:25 PM

jjjj035:

This was a smart move by WGT (assuming they got decent $).

As a player of virtual golf games since 1989, I see they all have common history, namely a shelf life of about 3-5 yrs before folks start to move on. Everyone raves about the "new, vastly improved graphics and physics" before starting to rail against the bugs and lack of new courses. Adding new courses really only delays the inevitable, and the race is on for the company (be it Sega, Links, TW or whatever) to hang on to the $ trail as long as possible.

I've been on WGT for a few months, and see the trend is no different. Looks like they have been losing traction for a while (2-3 years?). The problem is that there's only so much you can actually do to a golf game to keep it fresh. Like other golf simulations, I pretty much reached peak 'skill' after a few days, and the vast majority of improvements came from better equipment and learning the quirks of the game and specific courses. I generally doodle at it while my wife is watching a Hallmark movie - definitely a great way to pass the time. I'm Legend but think it unlikely I'll bother with TL - 500+ rounds is just silly.

So, as one who has pretty much  mined WGT has to offer, I  do not really care about what comes down the road. TopGolf looks tacky and I hope they overpaid for WGT.

I fully agree with the majority of this post...it is well penned and on point. I must say that the author made legend in approx 6 months, while using starter balls. That is impressive...took me about 18 months using Callys...lol

• GirnBlanston
    648 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2016 7:52 AM

In hopes of improving the performance of this game (better servers, more responsive to fixes needed), I hope Top Golf takes a hard look at the inner workings of WGT.  I believe the programmers may be out of their league here, and the management just tells you its in the process of getting fixed and very little happens.  I love playing this game but I have reduced my playing time because of meter issues, disconnects and the list goes on and on.  I wish Top Golf all the luck in helping WGT, although I sense they were sold a bill of bad goods.  By the way, you are a brave soul to put your picture on the post, considering there are a vast number of members here who view you with some disdain.

Oh yes, its now 3 weeks into it and it appears problems have gotten worst according to my friends here.  Luckily I was not on the site for 3 weeks.

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2016 12:07 PM

Just closing the loop here and answering some questions.  

Will everything you guys are planning for Mobile`s etc be available for PC`s (proper computers) 

WGT answer:  we will continue to invest in the PC version with a focus on more tradition golf features and social country clubs.  The Mobile version will focus more on quick social play and fun short formats including the Topgolf driving range.

With this Merger will WGT / TG be giving something back to the WGT community?

WGT Answer: The main give back to the community is that we are investing in improving the stability of the products, speeding up the delivery of the remaining  Pebble Beach holes and fixing a lot of bugs.

take care

• turfsand
    1,773 Posts
    Thu, Feb 11 2016 12:54 PM

thanks for the feedback WGTadmin2, always good to keep the lines of communication open

turfsand

RSS